Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to arrange for different voltages from one battery source  (Read 2307 times)

Tug Captain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
How to arrange for different voltages from one battery source
« on: August 17, 2018, 09:26:57 am »

Hi,
in my 1:100 scale bulk Carrier I need different voltages for the main motor (12 V), radar (3V), deck lights, runnings lights 6 V, bow thruster 6 V etc etc.
As a source I will use a lead 12V motorcykle battery. Of course it would be possible to use a separate battery for each voltage but is sounds a bit impractical and will mean more things to bring (or forget at home) to/from the lake.

As this probably is general problem in models with several functions I would appreciate yout input as how you have set up your models.

Regards
Claes Wahlund

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
Re: How to arrange for different voltages from one battery source
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 10:44:10 am »

Try component shop, adjustable voltage reducers you will find what you need there.

John

Skimmer Fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 10:53:09 am »

Component shop is the place you could make a row of supplies.

Regards
Skimmer Fan

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 12:56:10 pm »

Also order a quad switch from action this will allow you to turn on all these functions via your radio set  along with voltage reducers. You will need I spare proportional channel to operate the quad switch.

Stan.

Tug Captain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 03:31:54 pm »

Thank you John and Skimmer Fan. I guess you have the answer to my wiring problem. Thanks again...
Best
Claes

john44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 05:35:04 pm »

Hi Claes, glad to be of help.

John

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 09:30:56 pm »

also use a p112 distribution board
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 10:41:06 pm »

And a ESC so you can control the thruster , if it is just switched it will be flats out or stopped ie no control
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Skimmer Fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 07:38:32 am »

The p112 distribution board Klunk is talking about is from Action Electronics on the Component Shop website.
Regards
Skimmer Fan

john44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 09:34:45 am »

And a ESC so you can control the thruster , if it is just switched it will be flats out or stopped ie no control
David

As David says, you will need a esc for your bow thruster, you can link with your rudder channel
Using a Y lead so when you operate your rudder the bow thruster will help turn the boat.
Or as I do use the left stick left to right and use the thruster only when needed.
You don't say what radio system you are using I just imagine it is multi channel.

John

Tug Captain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 03:28:48 pm »

Hi all,

The products from Action Electronics are the items I have been looking around for for a long time. Have mailed them my first order already...

My set up: TX A Graupner MC-20 with a Gr 32 Rx so I have 12 channels to work with.
On my twin engine models (Portgarth for example) I use stick 1 and 3 for the motors , stick 2 and 4 for the rudders, steearable Korts ( can be made to work together via a switch on "long runs")
On my larger single screw bulk carrier ( 175 cm over all) I use stick 1 for motor, 2 for rudder and 4 for the bow thruster
Separate speed controllers on each motor and bow truster. All other functions (several) controlled by switches.
The bulk carrier will also be equipped with functional cranes which most likely will be controlled by a separate radio as that will require several proportional channels to work as desired.

Stan - do not fully understand the quad switch - can you please give me a hint how the quad switch could be used?? On the bulk carrier set up I still have unused proportional channels...

The Portgarth: liked almost everything but the rubber tube supplied to be used as motor coupling is a disgrace to the kit. the tube was not straight from the beginning , will never be straight and I deeply regret I did not change it for a real coupling. However the model as such is quite ok and looks fine on the water.

regards
claes

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 03:53:30 pm »

Search eBay for buck/ boost voltage controllers. Select one for the power consumption of each piece of equipment. The cheapest (£1.50ish) you have to do a little soldering, 50p more and they come with screw block connections. 0-30 V in, 0-30V out. I use them on my Narrowboat to prevent overloading 12V gear by the 14.5V alternator output. Using a multimeter you set input voltage then set output voltage requirement, finally set output voltage under load.
Jerry.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 04:36:30 pm »

Hi Claes the action quad switch is simple to use in conjunction with the voltage regulators. The unit can turn on four separate functions using different voltages. Look at the action web site under switches open quad switch and see wiring diagram not the cheapest piece of kit but well worth it hope this helps.
The voltage regulators from component shop have led display to see the output voltage good pieces of kit.

Stan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.