Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More Bluebird and lifeboat restorations  (Read 1764 times)

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
More Bluebird and lifeboat restorations
« on: August 17, 2018, 01:03:27 pm »

Some folk here might be interested in a couple of articles in the current issue (September 2018) of Practical Boat Owner. First is Bluebird K3 (note, not K7 which has featured on news bulletins recently - I didn't know there were 2 Bluebird restorations happening). Second is the ex-Whitby lifeboats Mary Ann Hepworth (Watson class) and William Riley (Ruby class). The latter article has quite a lot of detail of hull construction of these boats. Probably worth at least a browsing session in WH Smith  %)

Greg

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: More Bluebird and lifeboat restorations
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 04:08:44 pm »

Some folk here might be interested in a couple of articles in the current issue (September 2018) of Practical Boat Owner. First is Bluebird K3 (note, not K7 which has featured on news bulletins recently - I didn't know there were 2 Bluebird restorations happening). Second is the ex-Whitby lifeboats Mary Ann Hepworth (Watson class) and William Riley (Ruby class). The latter article has quite a lot of detail of hull construction of these boats. Probably worth at least a browsing session in WH Smith  %)

Greg

:-)) :-)) :-))

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 04:36:35 pm »

I googled "K3 restoration" and got a very good article on this with good pictures and a video from a drone.  I`ve forgotten which paper  :embarrassed:   Worth googling for. I`ll check my history.  Found it  from the Daily Mail on line.   www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4922052/Bluebird-K3-flies-painstaking-restoration.html
..well can you land on this?

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 05:01:04 pm »

I googled "K3 restoration" and got a very good article on this with good pictures and a video from a drone.  I`ve forgotten which paper  :embarrassed:   Worth googling for. I`ll check my history.

man verses the elements and nature...……..simply beautiful. O0 :-))

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 05:02:35 pm »

Thank you Sailor :-)) greg.  Knew you would like it Neil  :-)) :-))
..well can you land on this?

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 05:59:18 pm »

That's the Bluebird that George Turner did as a vacform/resin kit.

I've got one in a plastic bag somewhere.....  ok2
Regards
Kit

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 11:09:44 pm »

Thank you Sailor :-)) greg.  Knew you would like it Neil  :-)) :-))

yes indeed, Duncan..….as a kid growing up in the era of land and water speed records, it was very exciting, and was nice wen you could buy a corgi[or was it dinky] bluebird car...…….sadly they never made I floating bluebird.
I had the great experience in 1977 when in Australia, going wth mates to see Ken Warby and his world water speed boat Spirit of Australia 2 going through trials and her paces on Blowering Dam, NSW, Where the next year he set a new world record, which still stands today....sadly I was home by then.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 11:39:21 pm »

Hullo Neil......yes Ken Warby ...

Earlier in his life he was the Sales Manager for the Division of Warburton & Franki....that imported Makita power tools into Australia....long before Makita themselves set up an office

[In those days, we only had Skill, B&D, Bosch & Wolf....with a sprinkling of Fein & Scintilla which Swiss made Bosch........then the people @ W&F considered this Japanese brand....Makita had a huge range of power tools including woodworking power tools that were within the $ reach of the general public]

Ken was a big guy with a big voice, and naturally the subject of every meeting turned out toward his jetboat The Spirit of Australia.....O0

[Sales of Makita power tools also skyrocketed beyond all expectations %) for many years]

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 12:18:44 am »

:-)) :-))

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 10:25:42 am »

I thought you would have given us chapter and verse on the two lifeboats by now Neil.  :}   Both of them are now afloat and in fine fettle.

K3 is on display at the Filching Manor Museum near Eastbourne (BN26 5QA) if anyone fancies a day out, and they have an interesting website on the boat here.

Greg

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 01:07:53 pm »

I thought you would have given us chapter and verse on the two lifeboats by now Neil.  :}   

K3 is on display at the Filching Manor Museum near Eastbourne (BN26 5QA) if anyone fancies a day out, and they have an interesting website on the boat here.

Greg

I don't know what you mean Greg %% %) :o
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.