Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Painting, Finishing and Care.

help airbrush

(1/4) > >>

spike:
when I put paint in my gravity fed airbrush  it just blow it out of the pot and not out of the needle help please

Mark T:
Hi Spike it sounds like your air brush is blocked and needs a good strip down and clean.  It probably has a build up of old paint on the needle or the needle housing so the paint is just blowing back

nemesis:
If you have been spraying acrylic that could be the cause and you will not be the first to be caught out, nemesis

Andyn:

--- Quote from: nemesis on August 21, 2018, 06:22:52 pm ---If you have been spraying acrylic that could be the cause and you will not be the first to be caught out, nemesis

--- End quote ---

What?????????????????????????????????

The fact you've got air coming through your cup means your nozzle is definitely not blocked.

If you've got air coming through your paint cup, it's because you've got an air leak into the cup. Check your nozzle is seated correctly if it's self centering, if it's a screw in check your o-ring is in place and that the nozzle is in properly. Check your nozzle cap is on properly and again if fitted with an o-ring (I've never seen a brush that hasn't got a seal on the nozzle cap) check that's in place.

On another note, what you have described is what is used with cleaner to backflush. Backflushing is a critical tool for cleaning your airbrush, which works by putting cleaner into your cup, loosening the nozzle cap and blowing air though, this bubbles your cleaner through the nozzle tip and back through the cup.

Brian60:

--- Quote from: Andyn on August 22, 2018, 02:36:42 am ---

On another note, what you have described is what is used with cleaner to backflush. Backflushing is a critical tool for cleaning your airbrush, which works by putting cleaner into your cup, loosening the nozzle cap and blowing air though, this bubbles your cleaner through the nozzle tip and back through the cup.

--- End quote ---
Its not necessary to loosen the nozzle to induce 'blowback' The easiest way is to as stated put cleaner in the cup. Place a finger tightly over the end of the nozzle and then operate for a few seconds - this is enough to blow air back into the cup. What I do is operate normally, ie spray the cleaner for a couple of seconds, then the finger over nozzle for a few seconds, then as normal for a few seconds. I do this 5 or 6 times and is usually sufficient. This is done immediately after use.
However it seems as though yours has dried paint internally, the only remedy is a strip down and thorough clean of individual parts. I have recently bought an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner to do this for me. They are fairly cheap on ebay around £20 or so, place parts in basket turn on and leave! Cleaner should be whatever is compatible with your paint. For acrylics a airbrush cleaner such as Vallejo's own make or as many on youtube suggest - car windscreen washer fluid. For enamels turpentine substitute or white spirit. However if its really clogged and caked dry internally you will need a stronger solvent similar to acetone, but if you go this route make sure the seals are not rubber but teflon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version