The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Steam

PETER ARNOT V 4

(1/1)

MOG8:
Good afternoon,
does anybody know the bore and stroke of the Arnot v4?
Thank you.
Regards,
Giovanni

rhbrook:

Good afternoon Giovanni,
The bore of the cylinder is 5/16th inch (7.938mm) and the stroke of the cylinder is  13/16th inch (20.638mm).
Please note the dimension I have given for the stroke is the overall length of the cylinder, which is what I assume you require. As the cylinder covers project into the bore
the actual movement of the piston will be less.
I hope my explanation is understandable, but please feel free to contact me again if you have any further questions.
Regards,
Roger

MOG8:
Thank you Roger for your prompt reply.
The stroke could be about 13 mm more or less,  I do not know what could be in fractions of inches!
Regards,
Giovanni

rhbrook:

Yes - you are quite correct.  The plan shows the stroke as being 1/2 inch which is 12.70 mm.
Again, if you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Regards
Roger

Geoff:
I built one of these a number of years ago. It was my first attempt so was somewhat frustrating but I got it going in the end and eventually re-built it and it runs extremely well. Peter wrote a series of articles in Model Boats which were quite excellent and took you through pretty nearly everything assuming you had never cut a piece of metal in you life. I learned an enormous amount from this project and eventually built my own designed in line twin double acting oscillator for a model of HMS Velox (1908 destroyer) which works very well and can still be seen sailing.

I had the pleasure of meeting him once at Papplewick Pumping Station many years ago. A very nice man indeed. If you check with MB you may be able to pick up copies of his articles which may assist.

Cheers

Geoff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version