Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unknown tug model  (Read 2881 times)

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
Unknown tug model
« on: August 23, 2018, 09:10:19 pm »

Can someone identify this model please? I assume it is a tug. It is 23.5" long by 6" beam. The superstructure cut-out must be a bit of a give-away!

hama

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Unknown tug model
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 12:35:27 pm »

HFM marine ocean going tug?
Hama

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 06:15:39 pm »

My thoughts exactly :-))
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 01:41:07 pm »

Thanks for that, chaps. Since the deck is beyond economic repair - there were no internal bulkheads at all to reinforce it, and because I can find no photos of the HFM tug on t'web, I've decided to remove the deck and put a freelance superstructure on her. The present rudder tube is wonky so I shall extend the keel under the prop to the foot of the rudder.  I need a slow vessel for the Irvine Museum pond. I can also use up some odd model bits, and I'll have to see if I can find the styrene sheet - I'm sure I had some somewhere!

RST

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 01:26:06 am »

Is the deck trashed, the f'sle deck doesn't look too bad?  It looks a good starting point from the pics anyway.  There are plenty of vessels out there I can see this as a basis for with that superstructure plan.
..at 24" I'd argue it wouldn't necessarily need any watertight compartments (bulkheads) so not necessarily a reason to distrust it as-is.
I must admit, when I was growing up I yearned for the HFM day boat and AHTS but could never afford either on saving up pocket money.  Save for the pilot boat and thames barge there is pitiful evidence of HFM ever existing since I can ever afford the kits since!  Having seen the type 23 kit and old articles about Midway Models there's now't about that these days either!  Evidently nobody bought the kits -or nobody ever had them photographed that made it on to the internet.

..If the hull is sound, strip and fix it up but if the deck is good I'd leave bonded in as-is and build around the openings.  Having said that, the opening on the main deck aft above the rudder stock looks a bit ropey and needs sorting.
My tuppennyworth anyway
Rich

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 01:23:19 am »

Depron sheet is useful for lightweight superstructure. Takes paint well and glues well.

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 06:07:22 pm »

The deck has split and collapsed amidships, which is why I thought a bulkhead or two to glue it down to would be useful. Ta for the Depron tip - I think I'll try styrene first and make it really simple. I've found an ESC, battery and motor from I think a disc drive or tape player, so I'll try that. I think the hull is styrene, so I'll use epoxy to fix the shaft and rudder post.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 21 queries.