Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Slipway Trent Lifeboat Electronics  (Read 3314 times)

HMS Vanguard 2016

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Model Slipway Trent Lifeboat Electronics
« on: August 27, 2018, 06:50:28 pm »

Hi all,

I’m at the stage where I need to install the rc equipment in the Trent lifeboat. I have purchased the motors which are roxxy outrunner c35 which I believe are 50-65A. Could anyone give me some advice on all the equipment I need to get the boat fully radio controlled. Speed controllers, servos, receivers etc.

Many thanks

Karl

flack

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Model Slipway Trent Lifeboat Electronics
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 11:40:47 pm »

Hi Karl,

A very basic electrical installation would require the use of a single servo to power both rudders on the Trent lifeboat, twin ESC'S to control the two motors and at the very least a two channel radio set up, one channel for the speed control (forward and reverse) and the second channel for rudder control.

However, if you intend to further enhance the model with working lights,radar and sound systems then a more capable radio set up, say 4 or 6 channel, would be required, with the small additional cost of the 6 channel sets it would be more appropriate to buy the 6 channel, 2.4 GHz sets are easy to get hold of and have better range without the crystal problems of 27 and 40 MHz.

Speed controllers are a personal choice, over the years I have standardised on Fusion Hawk 60 amp ESC'S as I have found them to be very reliable, they can be programmed for forward and reverse operation, you will need a programming card.

Brushless motors work better with LiPo batteries and whilst there are many scare stories about the fire dangers of these batteries it should be remebered that a whole host of modern day electrical equipment is powered by LiPo batteries. Look after them, charge them correctly with a balance Charger and they shouldn't let you down. I would suggest the for the Trent 11.1v 3S LiPo's would be suitable, the greater the mAh rating the better the duration of the battery.

HMS Vanguard 2016

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 09:49:18 am »

Thanks for the reply, some really helpful information! Doesn’t sound quite so daunting now. I just plug the servo and esc into the receiver I take it?

I’m hoping to put working lights and radar on the model. What would be the best set up for this? A separate battery with the lights wired in parallel and controlled by an rc on/off switch?

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 12:53:53 pm »

Hi, have you tried action electronics wiring diagrams, they do diagrammes
for every model slipway boat, including the Trent.
Go on the menu top left, click on wiring information,click on model slipway
scroll down to the Trent,

Hope this helps

John

HMS Vanguard 2016

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 01:33:14 pm »

Hi John,

I have looked at the diagram and have found it very useful but was wondering if the components they sell are suitable for my motors. But I could always use it as a basis and fit components which would be suitable. For the esc’s should I use a Y lead so I can run the throttle of both motors through one channel?

Karl

john44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 02:02:01 pm »

Hi Karl, the diagram I would use as a general layout I to used Mtronics esc,s but I did
use action fuses with the led,s as regards the Y lead you would have a wide turning circle
Unless you fit a V tail/ tank mixer wich slows down the inboard motor on a turn giving a tighter
Turn. I personally use both sticks and after practice you will be able to turn in its own axis
The Trent only has small rudders so turning circle is large on 1 stick & Y lead.
What radio system are you using, some tx,s have channel mixing capability.

John

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 02:27:22 pm »

As Flack points out, it's a brush less
set up John,
Action diags are the dogs b's
for brushed setups, but not
for Vannys motors.
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

HMS Vanguard 2016

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 07:19:08 pm »

Hi all,

Thanks very much for the responses, beginning to become clear what I need to do now. Planning to have twin esc’s plugged into 2 channels on the receiver and get used to controlling the throttle and rudder on one stick. Then use another channel to control the servo and plugging the batteries into the esc’s.

As for the lights and working radar, how would you guys recommend wiring them up so they can be operated from the transmitter?

John, I’m hoping to go for a graupner setup, does it matter which system I go for. Planning to use 2.4 Ghz system.

Many thanks

Karl

HMS Vanguard 2016

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 07:20:48 pm »

Also, the motors are rated at 50-65a, could I run them through 50a esc’s? Can I go for any servo for the rudders or is there a specific type I should look at?

john44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 12:54:48 pm »

Hi Karl, equipment is a matter of personal choice, I use Spectrum & planet 6 channel set,s
I use 90amp esc,s a bit of an overkill, but on peak amps you may draw more than the 50 amp
Rating. You can switch lights radar etc from your radio, you need a spare channel and you can
Use switcher units that work from a channel on your tx. And operate by stick movement
Moving the stick say to the left once, would switch your deck lights on, twice for your radar,
three times, nav lights,four times spot lights.to switch off you use the same stick again once
To the left to switch off your deck lights, twice would switch off your radar etc.you would use
The latching mode for the latter. you have a non latching mode say for a horn where the
Horn will sound for as long as you hold the stick over let go the horn stops.or use a mix
You can get switchers fron action electronics or the net.
Clear instructions are included and you can get diagrammes from action website.

Hope this helps
John

flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 09:36:40 am »

Hi Karl, by plugging the ESC's  into two channels in the receiver you will operate each motor on a separate stick on the transmitter, this will make control of the boat very difficult. It would make life a lot easier to join both ESC's to one channel using a "y" lead. Remember if you opt for this method and you are using BEC to power your receiver you will need to disconnect one of the red wires from one of the ESC leads.

In terms of the ESC's I would go for the 60 amp version, the cost difference between the two is not worth the risk, the Fusion Hawk ESC's I use are quoted in "English amps" as opposed to the cheaper "Chinese amps" versions.

in respect of accessory control John hits the nail on the head, Action Electronics do a single, twin and quad switcher unit which are very effective for controlling accessories, however I tend to have the working radar configured to be on at all times as it would be on real boats. Have a look at the Action Electronics section on the Component Shop site and you will find a whole host of electrical gizmo's for electrical control on your boat, there are also some very useful articles on how to use LED's with resistors etc.

Regards Shaun

Waz

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 03:04:12 pm »

In my Tamar model I am running brushless motors, however i have used the action electronics mixer unit, item code P40D, as this is a mixer you plug into your throttle channel and steering channel on your RX and you then connect your servo and two speed controllers to it, I have found this unit very good and improved the handling performance of my life boat greatly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.