Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cygnus SF33  (Read 2049 times)

Bart

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Cygnus SF33
« on: August 31, 2018, 01:00:55 pm »

Hi Everybody
I'm looking for help. has anyone Built the Cygnus SF33 from Models by Design. if so can you help point me in the right direction. I've only ever built kits and I am taking the next step toward building without instructions. some would say its a bit like Scratch building. I ordered my GRP hull at the beginning of August and I'm expecting delivery any day now. so I thought that I would take time to do some research in the intrim. I would be lying if I said that I wasn't a bit apprehensive about starting the build. I've made some tentative enquires about this type of fishing vessel but haven't got cery far. I've even rang Anderson marine in Scotland and asked for some information. But despite promises I'm still waiting for info. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I know absolutely nothing nothing about fishing vessels and what goes on/in to them. I would really appreciate any help.
If there's someone out there au fait with this type of build
Kind Regards
Bart

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Cygnus SF33
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 05:39:52 pm »

any hull is a basic fit out, Bart , whether a fishing boat, or destroyer, ocean liner, etc.

the main strength in the hull apart from it being grp in this case is the deck and the supporting cross beam members., all made from 6mm square or 9mm square section timbers which the deck will lie on.

its not rocket science, nor should it be foreboding, but very simple building.
if you look on almost any grp based build on here, including my lifeboat builds, and especially all those builds in the master class section, almost every model based on a GRP  hull, the basics are all the same. and once you get your running gear in the boat, which is also explained in most builds and the deck on, then the upper build will just flow.

nothing to be frightened of as the Cygnet is a very easy build...….built one some years ago up to cabin level and then gave it to my brother in law for his son to play with.

just have a good read of build projects on here and you'll soon get the gist of what is needed for a build to start and progress.

neil.

Bart

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 06:07:49 pm »

Thanks for the advice Neil. I'll do what you advise. I'm quite excited about the build I have a tendancy to put obstacles in the way before I've even started. I've no doubt once I've started it will be self evident what to do. wish me luck.

Cheers
Bart

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 09:24:23 pm »

you don't need luck, Bart......just confidence to realise it's easy and you can do it.

that's what the forum and the many build projects on here.

but i'll wish you good luck if you wish.

BON CHANCE'

Bart

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 09:39:01 pm »

Cheers Neil
It's early days and I have a lot of research to do. As I've said I still awaiting delivery so I'll use my time wisely and check out the varions topics you've told me about.
Regards
Ian

Hellboy Paul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 10:25:09 pm »

Hi Bart, no two fishing boats are the same, identical commercial hulls are bought by skippers who fit them out with different gear depending of coarse on what they are fishing for & they seem to have their own preferences regarding deck & navigation equipment etc (usually based on cost!!) try googling inshore trawlers & pick features & fittings you like the look of & incorporate them into your build....

Paul.....

Bart

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 10:35:31 pm »

Cheers Paul
I spoke to Andy Griggs from Models by Design yesterday. He told me the exact same thing. I know very little about fishing so I'm going to have to put my reading glasses on and start reading. Andy also told me to get myself down to a the harbour and take a look at a fishing vessel. So that's what I'm going to do tomorrow. Hopefully there will be some boats in
I'll let you know how I get on
Regards
Bart

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 11:44:08 pm »

Some information on Paul Freshney's build of Cygnus on the Model Boats forum here.
https://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=119734
Colin

Bart

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 12:10:52 pm »

Hi Colin
Thanks for that. I'll have a look.
Regards
Bart
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.