Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Radio Equipment

Twin motor control with rudder off 2 sticks

(1/8) > >>

johnf:
Hi everyone,

Could anyone tell me how to programme my 2.4Ghz TX to provide separate control of 2 shafts with rudder off the standard 2 sticks to enhance a model's turning circle in harbour.

I understand the old idea of using a separate "mixer" to speed up or slow each motor according to rudder settings.     However, with modern programmable TXs, surely it is possible to "mix" the rudder with the two ESCs to give such an important function.   Indeed, I am pretty sure I have read corresponding articles in model boat magazines.

I have tried everything pushing countless buttons and looking through old magazines but have failed to date.      I have an "all singing and dancing" HK Orange DRX Spectrum DSM2 compatible TX together with the popular FlySky FS i6 and the somewhat simpler Spectrum DX5i with aileron/elevator mix switch.

I am sure this will be of interest to numerous model tug skippers - so please help if you can.  <:(           
Dr John Fowler Leeds & Bradford MBC

malcolmfrary:
The basic idea of using a mixer, whether software in the transmitter or hardware in the boat,  is that one stick (the throttle) provides speed information, the other (rudder) control provides distribution information to control the relative speeds and directions of the two motors.  the rudder stick (certainly in the hardware type) can also work the rudder.  A second throttle stick is not needed, unless a third motor is involved.
Going from automatic mixing to manual tank steering would probably involve a change of profile in mid sail.  This might or might not be possible.  I'm just guessing since I don't have that kind of transmitter, but two conflicting sets of logic in the same box rarely works.

Colin Bishop:
I think that one of the problems in using the internal mixing facilities in the TX can be that they are set up for aircraft use (V Tail I believe) and do not act on the channels needed for controlling a model boat. These complications are why people tend to buy dedicated mixers.

There is a cheap and cheerful solution which I use on my fishery cruiser model. Each motor has its own ESC and is controlled separately by the two vertical TX sticks which gives tank steering. I have then used the undercarriage toggle switch on the TX to trip a switch on the RX which cuts out the signal from the right hand TX stick and transfers it to the left hand stick so that both motors are controlled from the Left hand stick together. This means that for general sailing around the pond I can run the two motors together and just rely on the rudder for steering but at the flick of the undercarriage switch revert back to independent tank steering for close quarters manouevering.
It works fine.
Colin

Colin Bishop:
Sorry for the typos - was in a bit of a rush earlier!Colin

Typos corrected.

Peter.

john44:

--- Quote from: Colin Bishop on September 01, 2018, 11:29:24 am ---I think that one of the problems in using the internal mixing facilities in the TX can be that they are set up for aircraft use (V Tail I believe) and do not act on the channels needed for controlling a model boat. These complications are why people tend to buy dedicated mixers.

There is a cheap and cheerful solution which I use on my fishery cruiser model. Each motor has its own ESC and is controlled separately by the two vertical TX sticks which gives tank steering. I have then used the undercarriage toggle switch on the TX to trip a switch on the RX which cuts out the signal from the right hand TX stick and transfers it to the left habd stick so that both motors are controlled from the Left hand stick together. This means that for general sailing around the pond I can run the two motors together and just rely on the rudder for steering but at the flick of the undercarriage swaitc revert back to independent tanl steering for close quarters manouevering.
It works fine.
Colin

--- End quote ---

Hi Colin, have you got a wiring dia. For that tx mod please, I like the idea very much.

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version