Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RC switch for sound system  (Read 2615 times)

Hotglove

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
RC switch for sound system
« on: September 02, 2018, 06:44:21 pm »

I have an ESS one sound module in my Chris Craft 1930 runabout. I would like to have the facility to switch it on and off while out on the lake.
TX is a Spektrum DX6i RX is a 6 channel Spektrum.
I have had a word with local model shop and a look online and it seems that there is a choice of units that would switch the power lead to the unit.
I would prefer to interrupt the signal lead, partly because there is less current involved (very minor point the module peaks at 3 amps) but mainly because the layout of components make this more convenient.
The module is connected to the throttle signal cable by replacing it with a Y cable, so the ideal solution for me would be a RC switch with a male signal cable one side and a female signal the other side and a  control cable from the switch to the receiver (flaps channel?)
Any suggestions? the correct nomenclature for such a switch would be a help.
Thank you.

davem99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Live long and prosper!
Re: RC switch for sound system
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 11:57:17 am »

I do not have the ESS system but looking at the on line instructions it would appear the unit looks at the signal line to see where the throttle stick is positioned. In neutral (centre stick) the engine sound stops after a pre set delay. If you remove the signal there will be no pulse present and the result could be unpredictable and may even damage the unit.
I suggest you contact the supplier/manufacturer for their advice before following my further advice.
You do the following at your own risk.
You could test this yourself by setting the volume to a low level and using the minimum power supply for the amp, try disconnecting the signal wire when the unit is powered up. You will need to cut this signal wire on your Y lead and bare the ends so you can connect whilst setting up, then break the connection to see what happens.

Sounds like an interesting system and appears to have plenty of volume.
As a matter of interest the current when the engine sound is muted will be a lot less than the 3amp at volume so the average electronic switch would be well able
to cope and they are relatively small in size.
Dave

steamboat66

• Full Mayhemer
  • maybe it will float!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 05:10:19 pm »

you can switch the power using a module by pololu. these can be had from active robots or technobots. they are available for 3 amps or 10 amps.

Hotglove

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 08:12:42 pm »

Thanks Davemm for the reply, I have fitted the Turnigy switch but it only works in on/off mode, your comment makes some sense of it. I think that I will live with it for a while and see how it goes, if the unit fails it might be an excuse for upgrading to the latest model  :-)

The Old Fart

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 08:14:35 pm »

I have one of these units. to switch off the signal would require the switch to change the signal to 1.5ms. to emulate mid position. This is possible . Easier to switch the ess unit off with a relay or a mosfet switch unit.

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 12:14:56 am »

I personally would use a 5 amp relay. Being more positive and unlikely to suffer from any glitches. Just MHP  John/One tenor

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 09:33:07 am »

Use  this. I have use loads of them . Really rate them. Best value on the market. Note it is switched negative.
John
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-WAY-Radio-Control-Switch-R-C-RC-Boat-Car-Tank-Plane-NEW-Version-/223150232798?oid=222344128152

The Old Fart

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 10:38:36 am »

I would not think this is suitable for this unit.
Possible Feed back voltage to/from RX unit.

Could use this to switch a relay, then use relay to switch 5v line to sound unit.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 09:55:43 am »

If the sound generator and amplifier are separate, why not just switch power to the amp? 
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Hotglove

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 08:50:24 am »

Just a belated update to this thread. Following good advice from other Mayhemers, I changed the wiring so that the Turnigy rc switch cuts the power supply to the unit, all seems well with no overheating of any component.
Thank you all for your input, gradually becoming less of a novice  :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.