Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > 3D CAD Design & Printing

TurboCAD

(1/3) > >>

SJG001:
I am planing on using a 3d printer to do some modelling work and design - (Anycubic i3 Mega seems to be the front-runner at the moment)

I used to use AutoCAD regularly at work when I was a designer and trained people to use AutoCAD.

I am now looking at CAD packages and the one that fill the requirement closest is TurboCAD (Not wanting to spend £X000/year on a AutoCAD License)

Is there any comments good/bad about TurboCAD ? - any view would be appreciated.

grendel:
get an educational version of AutoCAD, you can sign up as an educator (who teaches people how to use autoCAD, it does have the 'educational stamp - but that doesnt transfer across to the stl model.

https://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/autocad

SJG001:

--- Quote from: grendel on September 05, 2018, 05:11:14 am ---get an educational version of AutoCAD, you can sign up as an educator (who teaches people how to use autoCAD, it does have the 'educational stamp - but that doesnt transfer across to the stl model.

https://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/autocad

--- End quote ---

Thanks - Had considered that as an option but rejected it

grendel:
I have had an educational copy for about 10 years now, renewing the version every time a new one comes out - but then I do still train people at work in AutoCAD.

ddmckee54:
For 3D:
Fusion from Autodesk is currently free for hobbyists and would be my recommendation.  I think you've got to register every year but don't remember.
Designspark 3D is also free software, but not it's not as powerful as Fusion - trust me on this.  I use Designspark for the simple reason that it was the best fit for me at the time.  (It felt like the easiest transition for me from 2D AutoCAD but I hadn't looked at Fusion yet.)  I keep threatening to dedicate some time to learn Fusion and quit using Designspark but haven't gotten a round tuit yet.  Once you've got something that works for you it's hard to justify spending the time to change to something else.

For 2D:
I use Draftsight at home.  It's a freebie AutoCAD sorta clone.  I've heard that some programmers left Autodesk and started this software but can neither confirm nor deny that rumor.  This software you also have to register every year.  Like I said it's an AutoCAD sorta clone.  It's not an exact copy, but if you can find your way around in AutoCAD then you can make this work without too much trouble.

Don

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version