Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Painting, Finishing and Care.

Painting over oil based varnish

(1/3) > >>

ukmike:
I need to paint, (white gloss), over an oil based varnish finish using a spray can.
What can you recommend, bearing in mind the possible / probable reaction that cellulose type paints have when applied to enamel paints ?
Thanks.
Mike.

Brian60:
If you are sure it is an oil based enamel on there and you want to use cellulose, the only recourse will be to first apply a sealing coat between them. Otherwise forget the cellulose and go for an acrylic (water based acrylic not chemical based as are Halfords car paints) paint. Water based acrylics will should cover with no problem.

ukmike:

--- Quote from: Brian60 on September 06, 2018, 08:17:53 am ---If you are sure it is an oil based enamel on there and you want to use cellulose, the only recourse will be to first apply a sealing coat between them. Otherwise forget the cellulose and go for an acrylic (water based acrylic not chemical based as are Halfords car paints) paint. Water based acrylics will should cover with no problem.

--- End quote ---
Thanks for that Brian but I think my question needs some clarification.
Firstly, the varnish on the hull is a modern adaptation of the old Chinese tung oil recipe, ( Le Tonkinois ), which is tung oil with modern driers added, therefore I can only use paints that don't contain things like cellulose, acetones, propane and naptha etc.
Only true Enamels are what I need, of which most so called Enamels are not.
Paints that can be cleaned up using turps or white spirit are usually enamels.
I'm not a lover of water based Acrylics as they tend to be quite hard when dry, a wooden boat needs paint/varnish that is flexible enough not to crack when the wood moves, as it surely will.
So the question remains, does anyone know of a spray can paint that is proper spirit based Enamel ?

Mike.

nemesis:
You might find that there is no"key" on varnish, you will be able to coat up and cover but give it a knock and it will probably chip. Tried this in my hall before trying to burn the varnish off, gave up and replaced all the skirting. Happy days, nemesis

Howard:

have a look at a decorators centre for a tin of zinner it might work.
               Regards Howard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version