Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Paint is Best?- Boat  (Read 1434 times)

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Which Paint is Best?- Boat
« on: September 09, 2018, 08:47:12 pm »

Hi guys. I'm neatrly finished with using sanding sealer on my wooden boat.

Which paint would be best to use above deck?

Below deck (hull)I plan to fibreglass, sand,resin,sand etc. Which would be the best undercoat and paint and sealer to use. For the sealer I was wondering if I could use POLY-C over the final coat of paint? Thanks a lot....supaboat

RST

Re: Which Paint is Best?- Boat
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 09:57:46 pm »

Hi, I don't know about Poly-C directly but I see no harm.  Personally I use a primer or sealer or something like resin to seal the grain -rub it back then either spray pain,humbrol tinlets or Tamiya acrylic paint.
I was a big fan of halfords paints -but not recently (I think they changed formula-I've had problems even with car parts recently).  I was a big fan of Krylon plasti-kote spray paints but they're not as easy to get hold of these days.  I would say avoidplasti-kote "acrylic" brushed enamels -they're not "enamels" like they used to be,the "acrylic enamel" pot I used recently was like yoghurt and took 2 weeks for it to dry.  Humbrol seems to have dug itself out of a bit of a hole last decade -I've started going back to it,but brushed (I can never seem to airbrush it).  Tamiya acrylics I've loved for years, brushed or airbrushed, but found their rattle cans -particularly their primer utterly and completely awful.

....best is to experiment yourself I think.  Everyone likes something different.  Just make sure you're not mixing things incompatable -I must say personal experience these days is that's not as easy as it used to be.
Rich

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Which Paint is Best?- Boat
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 11:13:16 am »

Thanks for that. I'm using Humbrol spraypaints for just about everything. I then plan to protect the paints with Humbrol Varnish. Do you think this will work OK??
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.