Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Building a Workshop  (Read 5274 times)

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
Building a Workshop
« on: September 11, 2018, 01:49:10 pm »

Well, my sheds have arrived. Sheds? Yes, two: they're to be screwed together for maximum space.

Currently, Mrs Dreadnought72 is painting the panels before construction (as I'll have no access at the back once they're built).

The colour? Cuprinol 'Forest Green'.

Only, it's a very particular green. A sort of Dad's Army green.

We've been whistling the theme for an hour or so, now, and have already called it The Bunker.  %%

Pictures of the build and fitting-out to follow over the next few weeks!

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Building a Workshop
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 01:59:13 pm »

Looking forward to watching this one coming together  O0 . Hopefully get some inspiration from you.

Regards,

Ray.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 10:02:44 pm »

Walls are up, the roof and insulation is tomorrow's task. Lining (5mm ply) and electrics (big job) to follow. I've sketched a plan, and all looks good.  ok2

Andy

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 10:51:53 pm »

First concreting and now chippy-ing........... You will have your own construction company soon!!!!

Looking forward to seeing the pics  O0

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 01:18:04 am »

You can never have too many electrical outlets. I have my workshop in a single garage, and have 3 quadruple outlets on one wall, 2 on the other, and one on the back wall. I still need to use extension leads. I also have an independent fuse/breaker box in the workshop. I have strip lighting both sides (0.5 m) from the walls, and I never work in my shadow.
Enjoy your shed/bunker. Those of us who have one forget how lucky we are.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 09:40:09 am »

Before you insulate you might want to check  about cable running through insulation ,I think it is all about heat dispersal . if your cable runs are visible it will not be a problem . Just because its a shed its good to get it right for insurance purpose. SHED ARE GOOD I HAVE 3 .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 02:54:01 pm »

My boss bought a shed on ebay for £100.00 but had to dismantle it and remove it from the sellers garden, it consisted of 3 walls made of panels that are usually for a garage, a front face that was tongue and groove timber with a big door, I cannot remember what the roof was, though the underside was timber, i think it was chipboard but he replaced it and re-felted it, the site he put it on was smaller so even though he had enough panels to do all three sides the front facing the house was still a cut down version of the original front, he put a back door in that was about the same as the width of a panel, but it wasn't square, after panelling the inside out on the 3 walls, he still had to do the front wall but never got round to doing it whilst i worked in there, yep I worked in there as it was now an office / workshop - for a full 18 months. 
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 03:30:10 pm »

Before you insulate you might want to check  about cable running through insulation ,I think it is all about heat dispersal .

Hi David!

Thanks for the heads-up: it's a point well-made. The insulation is that foil-backed "bubble wrap" stuff, which is going to be stapled to the inside of the t&g walls. The cables will run in front of this, sitting in the air-gap behind the final plywood panelling - so they're not going to be buried in rockwool, which is where the heat dispersal issues arise.

I used this form of insulation in Shed #1 (the non-wired summerhouse) and it's toasty-lovely in there.  :-))

Andy

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 06:07:32 pm »

I got a new shed a couple of weeks ago. I'm not using it for model building though. I'm nice and cosy in the small spare bedroom!

We'd been renting one of those small storage units from when I'd been working on the house. Should have been a few months but ended up as years! So got a bigger shed (old one was going rotten anyway) and is now pretty full!
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Bowwave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 06:40:32 pm »

Bought a small shed some 15 years ago , lined the interior with insulation plaster  boarded over this with duplex boards then set to and plastered the ceiling and walls.  It's so efficient in the winter that   the heater only needs to be on for about 30mintes and then it remains snug even on a really cold evening .  I have about 12  surface mounted electric points more than enough to  power up what I need .   But I just have to have plenty of good lighting all helps to keep the temperature  just right without having to use the heater. But I still have to brave the rain to get to the shed at the bottom of the garden {:-{ .
Bowwave

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 09:16:47 pm »

Got to be time for some photos!

This was taken about a week ago, a few seconds after two and a half tonnes of concrete had set. The width, from the inside of the fencepost to the monoblock is about 5'. Not great, but it's all I have. The mains cable was cunningly buried before the concrete mixer turned up!

Here we go, early this morning. The sheds are two 7-by-5 pents, with full standing headroom at the high side to about the midpoint.

One roof added:

...and I remembered to bring in the mains before it's stuck outside forever!

And the second roof:

Painting was going on throughout. We're eager to get this done.

The second door, clearly redundant, has been blocked in with slats from one of the unused end walls:

All gaps have been filled, and I've just finished laying the roof felt as the sun plummeted out of the sky. (The good bit here is that they sent one roll of felt which normal single-shed users would have to cut in half to cover the roof. I've had the fun of using both rolls to seal the top = one overlap and minimal wastage).

Tomorrow? Insulation and the first bits of wiring. It's going to rain tomorrow, but I now Do Not Care.  :-))

Andy

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 09:31:32 pm »

Great stuff Andy - thanks for posting the photos, they bring everything into perspective.

Looking forward to more of the same  :-))

Regards,

Ray.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 07:05:35 pm »

Today - insulation started ... and finished!

Not yet super-effective, of course, with no windows and a gaping hole where the doorway is, but just being out of the wind helps a great deal, and I can almost convince myself that the air at head-height was warmer than expected.

T'other end. Once lined with ply it's going to be lovely in here. Even more lovely when I've got boats on the bench!

I was hoping to start wiring today, but was interrupted during insulating as a truck turned up with Shed #4 on it. (Now known as Not Andy's Boat Shed). NABS is a plastic fella made by a US company, that's like a giant Lego kit. It arrived in the biggest cardboard box I've ever seen. I had a heart-stopping moment when the box said it was 7'4" wide: the online details for it claimed 7' exactly - and I'd left 7'-and-a-smidge to fit it in. But a bit of tweaking later and it's in. Real reviewers suggested it was difficult to assemble "and might take 3-4 hours". However, son-in-law and I finished it in one-hour fifty, without even a sweary word. Super-easy to put together and surprisingly sturdy. :-))

Andy

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 08:58:48 pm »

How are you channelling rainwater from the apex roof from going down the outer wall of your workshop?
badly raised and ill mannered.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 10:10:49 am »

There's enough room for a gutter in between. I'll be running it down the gap there, before turning left to run along the back of the pentroof to a downpipe.  :-))

Andy

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2018, 01:19:36 pm »

My uncle Don used to feed his shed roof run-off into a water butt, and once a year throw in some donkey droppings, to water the tomatoes. He swore by donkey and not horse. It sounds primitive by uncle Don did have great tomatoes.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2018, 02:30:41 pm »

My uncle Don used to feed his shed roof run-off into a water butt, and once a year throw in some donkey droppings, to water the tomatoes. He swore by donkey and not horse. It sounds primitive by uncle Don did have great tomatoes.
All to himself?
Really protect the outer walls i have soaked mine in oil based preservative to stave off rot.
Glad you can fit a gutter damp is a killer.
badly raised and ill mannered.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2018, 04:12:00 pm »

Brief one: I've got lights, so I can now work in the evenings! I bought a pair of the four-foot LED battens with diffusers. £60 from Screwfix, 44W, 4200 lumens and it's bright. Everso. (That's about the same light output as two and a half 100W incandescent bulbs.)

The lights claim to be good for 25k hours, so I think I've got about forty years left in 'em.  %) I'll get a new pair when I turn 95.

I've put in wood battens to support my sockets and switches, which will end up about 15cm above my work surface, and I'm currently (ha!) wiring in double sockets. 6 done, one left to go, followed by a mighty wall switch. 14 outlets has to be enough, right?  %%

Here's hoping the high winds forecast don't take my shed away: I'm liking it, a lot.

Andy

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2018, 07:10:15 pm »

Surround it with a concrete wall and roof it with several feet of earth and the shed will withstand any winds  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2018, 08:09:26 pm »

A very busy week behind me - eight sheets of 8-by4 plywood later and the best part of three hundred screws, the workshop's almost completely lined. I should be finished tomorrow, at which point I'll put up some new photos. It's already looking extremely comfy! I've ordered glass (6mm safety glass) and should be glazing later in the week. And then there's filling and painting and building the workbenches and storage ... this never ends, does it?!  %)

Andy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2018, 08:13:20 pm »

And the all important electrics?
Colin

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2018, 08:44:07 pm »

Sorry - all tested and working. I've fitted a small consumer unit to protect everything.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 06:13:59 pm »

All lined!  :-)) This is the currently tidy end.

Filler on standby. That's tomorrow's task, if my glass hasn't arrived yet. The CU is running off a plug at the moment - I'll connect to the armoured cable when the weather's better!

The less tidy end:

The walls will be white when I've got round to that - get even more light in here. There's about five feet of storage here, beyond where my benches will end up.

And the door's been insulated, lined, and now sports a lock. ...Though the keen-eyed might notice ne'er-do-wells can climb in through the middle window! (The shed came with four sheets of thin and flexible poly-glass glazing. It's horrible, though I've stapled the sheets on for weather protection. Window five is the ex-door.

Having lined the shed, it's gone from not-very-wobbly to pretty-rock-solid. An amazing difference - and it's warm, too!

Onwards!

Andy

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2018, 06:43:39 pm »

It might be wise to fit a wireless security system in your new facility as a lot of valuables will be left in there. The main alarm siren can be inaccessible and mounted high on your adjacent house building. I have 2 'Response' wireless systems at home and they are very good and each uses a handheld remote to arm. House system has siren mounted on the house front but  the garage system  has it's siren mounted on the back of the house. Installation requires no drilling other than for siren box mounting plugs and screws. The siren box has all the electronic gubbins and is recharged by the suns rays.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2018, 07:44:16 pm »

The plan is:

Security light - solar powered, shining down the passageway. (The cats will, no doubt, set this off a bazillion times a night).

CCTV, down the same passage, with additional cameras covering the front and back gardens.

Ultimately, if someone wants in, they WILL get in...but it'll take some work and time. The really expensive bits (the proper boat's outboard motor, etc.) will be chained to the concreted base, and stored within the shed's internal locked box.

Best I can do, really. Beyond that, it's Fort Knox.

...Oh, and all the electric tools get the postcode engraved on them.

Andy
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.