Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > The "Black Arts!" ( Electrics & Electronics )

Forge Electronics Sound Unit recommendation.

(1/2) > >>

unbuiltnautilus:
I have recently purchased  the Forge Electronics 16 Channel Sound Effects Unit from Scale Warship. Excellent turnaround on the order from Scale Warship, and nicely packaged too.
The unit comes pre=packed with sixteen ( plus two ) sounds with a maritime theme. These are selected by multiple presses of your Tx stick to select the sounds. I purchased it for a non-boat project, that is currently under wraps for at least another week ( Secret 10 my ears!! ), for which I needed to change out all the sounds for others.
Initial set up was a breeze. The unit takes its power from the Rx, with the usual warnings regarding exceeding the maximum input voltage etc. It is also supplied with a little tinky 1" speaker, I assume for testing purposes mainly, this has been replaced with a 4" speaker attached to a cardboard tube ( although the little speaker will be getting painted gold and re-purposed within the project, so nothing wasted..). Volume output is excellent, with an inbuilt volume control, activated via the radio.
Then came the replacing of the sound files, well outside my comfort zone! However, following the well laid out instructions, and a bit of online file converting, the project now speaks...and plays Taps.
Excellent piece of kit and well recommended, now to see if I can break it :}

afb:
Thank you for the positive review. Indeed, I supply the tiny speaker so users can get started right away. It works reasonably well for high pitched sounds like a whistle or a shrill horn, but for volume, bass response and quality I recommend using a larger speaker such as you have done. But if space is really at a premium, this speaker works remarkably well, though a tad pricey - judging by its form factor it may well be intended for model railway enthusiasts who seem to have deeper pockets than boat builders!
https://www.rapidonline.com/rvfm-abs-229-rc-miniature-loudspeaker-rectangular-with-mounting-lugs-35-0293

For audio file manipulation and format conversion, Audacity is a free and easy to use tool - adjust relative volume levels between the sounds in your set, top & tail and even alter the pitch of audio tracks grabbed from Youtube or sound libraries . . . . . and more
https://www.audacityteam.org/

unbuiltnautilus:
You are welcome, credit where credit due. Not many new discoveries make me smile, but the earworm that is the volume control track is now stuck in my head..thank you for that :o .
The last 'new' thing that impressed me somewhere near as much as this multi-sound unit, was Dolphin Glaze, a rather brilliant low viscosity two part finishing filler, it literally pours out of the soft 'toothpaste' tube it is supplied in. Also it has a rather useful self levelling quality that is most useful.
Anyway, love the little blue box :-)) .

afb:
The delightful ear-worm is a midi version of the opening riff from Europe's big hit 'The Final Countdown' which I looped and converted to mp3

Willit:
I have a pair of these in tugs, I couldn't be happier with mine!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version