Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Victory Thursday  (Read 4301 times)

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
HMS Victory Thursday
« on: September 17, 2018, 08:30:19 am »

New: HMS Victory:Nelsons Great...
Thursday 20:00
Channel 5
Warship. Documentary series. Rob Bell discovers the extraordinary feats of engineering behind HMS Victory, already 40 years old before securing its place in history at Trafalgar. (S1 Ep 1)

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Victory Thursday
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 08:45:21 pm »

Thanks for that. Reminder has been set...

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 12:42:05 pm »

very good program one of the good programs on tv

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 05:18:33 pm »

Agreed, it wasn't quite good, but they kept referring to Nelson as the commander of the ship. This he most certainly was not! Victory was the flag ship. Nelson was commander of the fleet.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 09:44:04 pm »

I'm down at the Hysterical Duckyard  on Tuesday , will have look to see if any progress is visible with the restoration since my last visit
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 07:50:53 am »

I'm down at the Hysterical Duckyard  on Tuesday , will have look to see if any progress is visible with the restoration since my last visit

Oh yes'm, please report back. She does look odd with no top masts...

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 03:14:09 pm »

I go down regularly but it's a while since she looked like this.
Colin

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 04:51:55 pm »

I remember an article some years ago when the Victory was structurally surveyed. The report found that the structure was not able to bear the weight of the main masts full height and their currant height may have been reduced because of these problems. I think the keel was substantially weakened and huge repairs were required.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 05:34:11 pm »

That use the way I remember her Colin. Anything else just isn't right!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 06:01:17 pm »

Victory is undergoing a massive restoration at the moment. The ship was indeed found to be slumping into her dock due to inadequate support to the hull and literally coming apart at the seams. You can follow the story here: https://www.hms-victory.com/restoration-log/2017-08 it is very intereresting.

During the work there has been an analysis of the paint layers on the hull which concluded that the actual colour at Trafalgar was a sort of pinkish buff rather than the yellow ochre traditionally associated with the ship. It's quite a shock when you see her in the new paint job, it may be accurate but it just doesn't look right really.

Compare this photo with the one above. The bowsprit and lower masts are still in the original colour.
Colin

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 07:12:42 pm »

According to the restoration log the new hull support system started being installed in April 2017 and was supposed to last 18 months. Worryingly their has been no update of the log since August 2017. The progress of this is what I will have a look at tomorrow.  I am a bit surprised by the chosen method of new supports, they comprise a double row of jack props ( computer monitored ) hydraulically adjustable and the exiting cradles at 6M Crs removed . Worries me a bit, I suppose the plan is to try and squeeze the hull gradually back into shape.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 07:46:33 pm »

Colin,
My model of her is staying yellow ochre.. O0 O0

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 07:56:23 pm »

I suppose we are lucky to still have her considering everything the ship has been through. I look forward to visiting her in the future.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 08:05:47 pm »

Definitely worth a visit, as are all the other unique Dockyard attractions. Allow two days!

Sometimes you have to take guided tours of Victory but sometimes you can make your own way around at your own pace which is better. It seems to depend on the number of visitors at the time.

Colin

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2018, 08:26:37 pm »

The only thing I did not like last time was the pervading smell of the conservation fluids , Warrior was the same . After a full day going round my sinus's were in serious trauma for a month.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2018, 08:45:51 pm »

Never noticed that myself.
Take the harbour cruise - should clear out the airways!

Colin

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 02:40:48 am »

If it ruins the wives hair do I will blame you.  Most fussy about her coiffure is Mrs B

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2018, 09:26:59 am »

There are often two boats used alternately on the harbour cruises. One is a smallish launch type 'Jenny Boat', the other a much larger 250  passenger two deck catamaran which has a big cabin on the main deck. Most people head up to the sun deck so there is usually plenty of room in the cabin which also has a door opening onto the foredeck which is a good vantage point for photos. The kiosk or shore staff can tell you which boat is doing which run.
If you want somewhere to eat there is a nice restaurant on the upper level of Boatshed No 4 which is used for wooden boat construction and repairs. One side overlooks the harbour, the other looks out over the activity in the boatshed. Fairly limited menu but food is usually good and the atmosphere is much nicer than the other eateries around the dockyard.
Incidentally, the dockyard ticket no longer includes the Mary Rose, they had a falling out and you have to pay separately for that now.
Colin

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2018, 09:40:57 am »

Cheers Colin.

Fortunately we have some All Attractions tickets which are still nine date.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2018, 09:46:10 am »

Me too, mine runs out just before Christmas!Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2018, 09:58:32 am »

New: HMS Victory:Nelsons Great...
Thursday 20:00
Channel 5
Warship. Documentary series. Rob Bell discovers the extraordinary feats of engineering behind HMS Victory, already 40 years old before securing its place in history at Trafalgar. (S1 Ep 1)

http://www.channel5.com/show/great-british-ships/

Catch up: https://www.my5.tv/great-british-ships/season-1/episode-5

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2018, 10:06:33 am »

my soveriegn and victory under construction will also remain the ocre  O0
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 12:18:59 pm »

I remember an article some years ago when the Victory was structurally surveyed. The report found that the structure was not able to bear the weight of the main masts full height and their currant height may have been reduced because of these problems. I think the keel was substantially weakened and huge repairs were required.
Having had a quick check in the book HMS Victory by McGowan it appears that a support structure for the masts was fitted so that the weight was taken by the bottom of the dock. There are 4  5inch steel rods under the mast steps down to the concrete floor of the dock. This was done before most of the restorations started. Her current masts are lighter than the originals. The masts were also given extra braces to the dockside to reduce sideways load in high winds.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2018, 12:25:53 pm »

Colin....."the dockyard ticket no longer includes the Mary Rose, they had a falling out and you have to pay separately"

I understand this is separate to the Victory [as the thread], but what is behind the issue with the ownership/sponsorship of the Mary Rose?.....from my earlier readings, I understood the future King of England was [in name] the head of the restoration of the timbers of the Rose

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2018, 02:00:49 pm »

The various attractions in and around Portsmouth Dockyard (including the Submarine and Explosion Museums) all have their own separate histories and complex ownership and fundraising arrangements. Victory and Warrior are now part of the National Museum of the Royal Navy although Victory is also a commissioned warship. Its all very complicated!

They have until recently been marketed under an umbrella scheme with gate and certain other receipts being apportioned between them although they also host their own private and public events (you can get married on Warrior for example).

Mary Rose is owned by a trust which wanted a greater share of the overall receipts in recognition of the importance of the vessel, its extensive museum and future financial commitments. Unfortunately agreement could not be reached so the trust decided that Mary Rose would be marketed separately whch has made a lot of people rather unhappy (see Tripadvisor reviews etc.)

Their side of the story can be seen here.

https://maryrose.org/news/the-mary-rose-heads-into-new-territories/

Basically the problem is that the Mary Rose Trust wanted a bigger share of the cake, and they do have a top class attraction, but basically the cake itself is probably too small and this would have had an adverse effect on the other attractions. I know from my own previous contacts with the dockyard when covering their events for Model Boats that keeping the whoe thing financially viable is  constant headache. They put on a lot of events such as the Victorian Christmas to boost income but have lost the crowds that used to attend Navy Days when we used to have a proper navy and there were enough ships available to open a selection to the public. They must be praying for an opportunity for the public to visit HMS Queen Elizabeth I would imagine as that would certainly pull people through the gates.
Colin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.