Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: rc problems TURNIGY ch5  (Read 1340 times)

rayna

• Full Mayhemer
rc problems TURNIGY ch5
« on: September 20, 2018, 12:59:21 am »

:-)
Hi I have a problem I do not understand.
Situation
Twin screw 540 type motors each with Viper Micro 10 ESC,
Lipol 14.8
TX Turnigy CH5- Rx TGV 5RX
1 mini servo on rudder duty
1 other servo on hoist duty
PREVIOUSLY this set up had worked ok with possible "exception/error" that port motor only had slow speeds for both forward and reverse.
 For some reason no go now. RX shows no light (green) and no RX activity at all. 1 x Viper shows red light.
One of the ESC leads has middle wire disconnected as is standard.
SET UP
Channel (top) CHG nothing connected
Ch RUD hoist servo
CH THR 1 x ESC
Ch RE  1x  ESC
Ch AIL  rudder
So as I said this was working ok before.
SO I CHANGED
Ch CHG I connected a 4 x 1.5 volt pack of cells
Other channels remained the same.
With this set up both ESCs did the red green flashing thing then worked. Green light up on the RX
Set up seemed to work for while then
When I turned off the ESC "on off" in line switches the port motor continued to run. (back feed from 4 pack?I do not know).
Not sure if anyone can identify my problem BUT hopefull.
Why wont it work with original system? With no green on the RX (without the 4 cell pack fitted) I am presuming it is getting no power.?
cheers
Ray

red181

• Full Mayhemer
Re: rc problems TURNIGY ch5
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 08:27:57 am »

Ray,

I've done a man read, so hopefully got all the info. If you power the receiver with a  separate power pack, then disconnect both red wires from your two esc's, as they don't need to power the rx, you already have the power. I theory, with one red wire, you don't need the supplementary power source.

I would suggest you rebind the tx and rx, just to start from fresh. I cant see that you have both esc's connected to your rx, so are you using a "Y" harness?

Are your esc's lipo compatible? Its been a long time since I used vipers, but I recall the tio was lipo friendly, but you still had to programme it, are you exceeding the max input voltage?

I think, the esc with the red wire, thus providing the power and signal to the rx needs resetting, and your rx needs to be live prior to the esc's arming. I remember that I had a similar problem with a twin motor set up, using turnigy rx, it was arming slow, and the esc's where "trying" to  set quicker, and not seeing the receiver, I rambling now, but the rx needs to be lit before the esc's, you might want to try and work out some sort of switch to the esc's to prevent this happening, its what I did, so power everything, see the rx lit up, then flick the switch to get the power to the esc's .

When you rebind, use one esc at a time, setting the throttle range etc, then go back to the dual hook up. Its very difficult to explain, wish I could have it in front of me!

Paul

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 09:06:41 am »

http://www.mtroniks.net/prod/Boat-Speed-Controls/Viper-micro-Marine-10.htm
The spec says 12 volts max.  A fully charged 12 volt SLA will be a bit more than that, but it is reasonable to expect the design of the ESC to cope.  Using a battery that starts above the expected maximum of the intended SLA, and will probably be rather more fully charged is asking a lot of the safety margin, maybe too much over time.  Quite possibly something is cooked inside the sealed module.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

rayna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 07:58:46 pm »

:o Thanks Red and Malcolm something to look at there.
You are right about the voltage maybe because originally I had only 7.4 which was fine.
Red there is some bells ringing with what you are saying about RX on first then escs but I have not ever done it that way before and as I said it was working earlier. Have TWO escs and individually to the RX connects.
So you have both identified some paths to follow thanks . Will report back.
Ray

rayna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 03:59:34 am »

:-))
Problem solved.
the port motor ESC (also power to the RX) had fused
Does not quite pan out when reading my first submission but there it is and now all seems to be working with both motors have their full range capability.
thanks for listening.
Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.