Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fair Sky Turnigy i6 RX choice  (Read 2181 times)

rayna

• Full Mayhemer
Fair Sky Turnigy i6 RX choice
« on: September 22, 2018, 02:12:52 am »

;) Hi,
With a number of models now I am considering moving to an TX that has memory for models so I only have to cart one set about and worry about 1 set of batteries etc.
I have been looking about and this set branded Fly Sky / Turnigy 6 ch 2.4 FS/TGY-i6.
Knowing nought about model aircraft and their radio needs except that I know they can use all sorts of programmable functions I am wondering if this model is an appropriate choice for my ships. The price is acceptable and additional RX unit can be got for around $20 NZD.
Feedback please.
regards
Ray

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Fair Sky Turnigy i6 RX choice
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 07:08:38 am »

No you do not need to rebind. The TX remembers each Rx. I currently have about 10 models on my set-up. Its also worth searching Bangood and similar sites for Rxs.

Barrie

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 11:32:48 am »

Unless you have a need for some complex mixing you can generally ignore all of the special aircraft functions. FlySky/Turnigy have a good name for reliability and are favourably priced. I use a Turnigy i10 Tx for boats and land based models and am happy with it. (I do have one boat which can use up to 8 channels) The receivers are easy to bind and don't need rebinding if you change models. the actual receiver aerials are at the end of  decent length extensions so can be easily placed in suitable positions keeping them above the waterline for good reception. Go with this choice as itit will do the job you need.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 01:05:54 pm »

Hi Ray
I have two Turnigy and one Flysky Ia6 units.
Setup and programming is the same, only different face names !!!
The mode 1/2 is for IC throttle with no self centering, but, Banggood have a self centering kit for this.
The only thing with the self centering kit install is on power up the transmitter requires all switches and throttle to be in their software standard off positions!!!
Binding each receiver, first setup change from model one to two and setup the model name and save.
Hold down the cancel button for a good five second to save!!!
Next bind the receiver to the transmitter and label the receiver.
Canabus

The Old Fart

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 08:15:12 pm »

The Turnigy/fsky I6S has only 5 model slots. But it is a nice transmitter.

mike1268

• Shipmate
  • Tanks, Planes and now Boats!
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 09:30:23 am »

Did you get this Rx/tx?

I've been running the flysky i6 for about 5 years with my RC tanks. I've had zero issues. It's also cheap enough that I don't mind moddifymo the tx. I've converted mine to take a rechargeable battery cell, the same type my aircraft futaba tx uses. Means everything is on the same batterise.

robbob

• Full Mayhemer
  • Time flies like an arrow;fruit flies like a banana
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 09:18:54 pm »

What's more you can upgrade the transmitter to 10 channels with a firmware update. Brilliant piece of kit👍.

rayna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 02:06:05 am »

:-))
Hi all, Still on this subject being totally nerdish about all things electronic.
Following up on the Flysky i6 and looking at Banggood site I find that I probably need the following.
their id 1148659 is a 6 channel TX for ~$60m NZD
their id 1059821 is a 10 channel RX ~ $28 NZD
Plus a data cable
Am I right here that these are what I need to get the 10 channels.?
The web suggests that I have to go online to uprate the TX from 6 to 10 channels and though it states that the exercise is straight forward that remains to be discovered if I go ahead !!
What sort of device is needed in the model to use the channel output to do 12 volt switching for pumps, solenoid valves etc.
many thanks all
Rayna

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 10:02:38 am »

What sort of device is needed in the model to use the channel output to do 12 volt switching for pumps, solenoid valves etc.

A switcher.  They come in several types, so some care in selection is needed. 
They all plug into a channel like a servo or ESC but have different outputs that have their own characteristics.
Some users have a servo working switches.
Safest to use are those with relay contact outputs.  They can control whatever the contacts are rated for and don't care about the polarity of the supply for the item being controlled.  Solid state ones are more picky, usually switching the ground line, but also generally more compact.
More variations - some have more than one control on the same channel, some latch (one dab for on, another for off) some are momentary (just work while they are being dabbed), some can be programmed for either.
Samples - https://www.componentshop.co.uk/action-electronics/switches.html
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

rayna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 07:03:07 pm »

:-))

Right Thanks Malcolm, I am now only a half nerd!
So for example
using a quad ACTION (latching) P62 with one channel (not "retract or Flaps") i can set up
  • for pump + valve to monitors
  • for same pump +valve to port thrust flow
  • for same pump + valve to starbd thrust flow
  • for monitor rotation (mini electric motor chain drive)
One channel rudders
One channel drive motor 1
One channel drive motor 2
which leaves 2 available channels "flaps" and "retract" for some other things.

That looks a good solution--only issue now is that the pump will have a inrush start up current of more than 3 amps so probably need a rated relay in that circuit??
Does that all look right?
many thanks
Rayna

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 08:43:54 am »

Switchers can work relays, small relays can control bigger relays, either ones with heavier contacts to carry more current, or just more contacts controlling different circuits.  A bit of excess inrush current is not usually a problem for a contact - but if switching an inductive load like a motor or solenoid the probems show when switching off.  A capacitor across the contacts is needed to soak up the spark energy as the contacts separate.
A lot depends on just how the switcher actually works, if the outputs operate separately giving combinations or in a sequence.  Because designers tend to speak in a language of their own devising, it is not always easy to figure out what they thought they meant.  Worked examples are great if you can find them.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 21 queries.