Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WISDOM OF PARENTS  (Read 1738 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
WISDOM OF PARENTS
« on: September 26, 2018, 08:58:57 am »

My younger daughter 19 yrs old came to me last night asking me for my words of wisdom and advice and I felt very proud that she had done, regarding an RN Lad of 23 asking her out for a date behind his girl friend's back, who is also my daughter's best mate. I gave my advice, and wondered about my parents and what they would have said in their day, had I ever had the trust to ask..

this morning it brought it all home to me just how wise my mother was...……

as a boy of very young age below 10 years, I was sat at the window one day mid summer school holiday with torrential rain lashing against the window paynes, and asking my mum why it was raining so much in the summer, and she answered with something so profound that even until this morning I would question her answer with disbelief.

She said...…….."it's because of all the bombs and wars that are going on in the world at the moment,they upset the weather".

In my day we had no TV, just radio, which my mother as land lady of a boarding house, never had time to listen to anyway, and seldom read a newspaper, and long before mad scientists came up with prophesies and doom and gloom statements, with nuclear tests going on, on a regular basis, knew exactly what she was talking about.

I read this statement on a site this morning...….what insight my mother had all those years ago..God bless you mum...…..you will always be missed, especially for your love, forethought and wisdom.

"Shock waves from bombing raids on Germany during the Second World War were powerful enough to alter the atmosphere at the edge of space, scientists have discovered, thus affecting weather patterns."

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: WISDOM OF PARENTS
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 04:34:15 pm »

The report I read suggests that the effect was ony very short term only and did not necessarily affect the weather appreciably. One would think that the subsequent atmospheric nuclear tests of the next two decades would have had more of an effect - they certainly raised global radiation background levels which is why there is such a good market for the steel being plundered from war grave shipwrecks which was unaffected, being protected by being covered by water and which is now in much demand for sensitive instrumentation.
Colin

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 06:25:01 pm »

As Colin said, I would also question the bombing. The U.S dropped more tonnage of bombs over Vietnam during their attempted tenure, than all the allies dropped during ww2.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 07:33:35 pm »

This says it all usually accredited to Mark Twain

When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 08:21:21 am »

This says it all usually accredited to Mark Twain

When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years.
I wish I had this knowledge at the weekend. It exceeds what I read out at my fathers funeral on monday.

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 07:26:41 pm »

A good friend of mine sent his Son off to University while he still thought he knew everything, and before he realised he didn't.

John

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 11:04:12 pm »

Hi Neil
Great that your daughter came to you for advice. She must trust you to 'advise' rather than 'tell' her as many people would do without thinking.What I have come to realise in recent years is that I need to remember our young people have a very different baseline experience of life than I do. My experience has value but sometimes a younger man knows current pitfalls of modern living better than I. However being kind and considerate is always a good starting point.

Dave

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 12:23:02 am »

hi dave………..I don't think I am much younger than you mate...…..I just am open to them with my stories of growing up, the pitfalls I fell into and the scrapes I had with all sorts of authority, and how I ever got aweay with things...……….

but times were different in our youth that kids would not get away with now, and I think that they realise that I am an old fart I still had a life and got up to no good at timesclose to either lunacy or verge of criminality at times, and am just warning them against behahing like I did...……...an idiot...…..and it helps when I go with them to modern music concerts and enjoy the pop music of today...….gives me a bit of street cred with them...…..and yet on the other hand...….my younger daughter bought me a ticket and herself one to go and see  pink Floyd tribute band in may...……….I couldn't wish for 2 more beautiful and well adjusted kids......i'm blessed in that way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.