Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: scale props  (Read 2079 times)

bat44

• Full Mayhemer
scale props
« on: September 28, 2018, 10:26:29 pm »

Hi been a long time since I've posted on this forum, need help in finding small scale props to go on a small mtb type hull. Will be using two small 800kv brushless motors on a single 7.2v battery looking for m4 35mm  3 or 4 blade  L, R  hand props.

Mark

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: scale props
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 10:53:09 pm »

TRY HERE...…...BEST PROPELLERS BY FAR,
 IN THE BUSINESS.

https://www.facebook.com/Danatprotean/

Dean's Marine

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dean's Marine
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 05:15:16 pm »

Hi over 500  props in 6 types in the Deans Marine chandlers section Regards Deans Marinehttp://deansmarine.co.uk/shop/index.php/cPath/35_39

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 05:32:59 pm »

TRY HERE...…...BEST PROPELLERS BY FAR,
 IN THE BUSINESS.

https://www.facebook.com/Danatprotean/

Not being awkward but I have often seen this said but I have never seen any numbers that prove the extra efficiency. Do you have any?

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 05:50:03 pm »

Not being awkward but I have often seen this said but I have never seen any numbers that prove the extra efficiency. Do you have any?

You're not be awkward at all. It depends on choosing the correct pitch and diameter for the model if you go for a bronze prop. I find that you need to speak to Simon or Dan at Protean to get the best one as they know their props and what they are capable of. Get a wrong one and it doesnt really produce more but does look prettier. Get the right one and the performance over a standard brass item is noticable- I'd say between 20-25% more efficenct.
However you do pay for what you get, bronze items are more expensive for obvious reasons- they are cast and from a lost wax method so they have to be made from scratch everytime, and they are made from bronze which is more expensive than brass at times.
The brass props are good, relatively cheap and get you going- you can choose from a wide variety as Ron says and work out diameters and number of blades, etc, for yourself.

I've used both types over the years and I prefer to use brass and bronze over plastic ones, the choice is entirely upto you but the difference is comparable to Formula 1 teams- bronze items are the Mercedes and Ferraris whilst brass ones are Sauber or Renault. :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 06:16:24 pm »

Selecting the right prop is something of a dark art. Like Nick I much prefer the metal variety (not white metal of course!).
I have just bought one of Simon's 3 blade props as it was specifically recommended to me by Dave Milbourn over the plastic two blader included with my SLEC Huntsman 31 kit being reviewed for Model Boats. The two blader worked well enough and the new one will be trialled tomorrow.
Simon's prop is indeed very nice and well made and only marginally more expensive than the equivalent Raboesch type sold by Deans. However I have always been perfectly happy with the Raboesch props for my scale models and on the Deans Website (or indeed Cornwall Model Boats and others) you can browse through the illustrations to get exactly what you want.
As Nick says, I suspect that Simon's props do give that extra bit of efficiency but given all the variables on a typical model boat including prop diameter, number of blades, pitch, RPM, battery voltage etc. it is all something of a moving feast.
I found Simon easy to deal with by email and he takes PayPal but of course with Deans and CMB you have the benefit of automated online ordering.
As always, horses for courses.
Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 06:20:04 pm »

………………………………. Get the right one and the performance over a standard brass item is noticable- I'd say between 20-25% more efficenct.

Interesting. I have used PropShop & Raboesch but never the same size, blades etc. If there really is 20% more thrust for the same power input for the same size prop I will never buy anything else again!

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 06:21:57 pm »

Not talking about efficiency in any way Tugs...……….just about quality...…...and Simon's propellers are a thing of beauty"...just a pity I can never see them unless on a stand...….have always worked well on my lifeboats, and I wouldn't buy any other manufacturers.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 06:24:00 pm »

Not talking about efficiency in any way Tugs...……….just about quality...…...and Simon's propellers are a thing of beauty"...just a pity I can never see them unless on a stand...….have always worked well on my lifeboats, and I wouldn't buy any other manufacturers.

Agree totally re appearance.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2018, 06:44:19 pm »

Should have mentioned in my earlier post that gearing is also a key issue.
I usually favour belt drive at around 2:1 which allows the motor and prop to both revolve at more efficient rates in relation to each other. I have always been surprised that more people don't go down this route  as optimum motor revolutions and prop revolutions are very different and the more you can slow down the prop in relation to the motor the less power will be used for a given performance.Yet most people choose direct drive without a second thought when that is actually the most inefficient combination, especially when using high RPM brushless motors. And then they wonder why the motor/ESC gets hot and needs watercooling. Watercooling on anything but very high performance boats is simply coping with unnecessary inefficiency and wasted power.
Simple physics really!
Colin

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2018, 06:47:38 pm »

I think that most WW2 mtb's used 3 bladed props. I cannot recall any coastal craft using 4 bladed types. Our member Christian is our resident expert on these boats.

bat44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2018, 07:09:04 am »

Sorry for just getting back thanks for the info

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.