Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MOWE 2 Navigation lights  (Read 1901 times)

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
MOWE 2 Navigation lights
« on: October 05, 2018, 03:56:29 pm »

Hello everyone. Could somebody be kind enough to show me where and what navigation lights I need for this small fishing boat. I know I need a GREEN light on the RHS and a RED light on the LHS.(Looking from the back of the boat)

My next question is are these 5MM LEDS usually wired in SERIES or Parallel?  I know one can buy them made up but I would prefer to make my own up. Thanks everyone.......Cheers

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
Re: MOWE 2 Navigation lights
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 04:42:06 pm »

Here are the official NavRules, as published by the US Coast Guard.  While the Inland Rules apply only in the US, the International Rules apply everywhere to vessels built after the 1970's or so.

Fishing vessels are covered starting with Rule 26, page 80. 

I can't help you with your LED question. 

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 06:31:48 pm »

as to how to wire up LEDs for your navigation lights:

2mm, 3mm or 5mm will work, look for an "MCD" rating of 4000 or so, a rating of 8000+ are considered "ultra-bright" and not necessary for model boats.

ANY led should be wired single with a resistor. DO NOT run in series to drop the voltage. both voltage and load have to be restricted or you risk ruining the LED.  use an online calculator to figure out what size/rating resistor to solder in line to reduce the load to the LED.

the resistor calculator i use...
https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tools/led-resistor-calculator/

Skimmer Fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 06:32:38 pm »

The link below should help with Nav Lights.
http://www.bosunsmate.org/seamanship/lights.php

The wiring of LED's is covered on the Component Shop web site. I always wire mine singly.
https://www.componentshop.co.uk/led-exp/
Regards
Skimmer Fan

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 07:36:03 pm »

as to how to wire up LEDs for your navigation lights:

ANY led should be wired single with a resistor. DO NOT run in series to drop the voltage. both voltage and load have to be restricted or you risk ruining the LED.  use an online calculator to figure out what size/rating resistor to solder in line to reduce the load to the LED.

It is perfectly OK to wire LEDs in series to give the correct voltage at each. This is done commercially, if you buy a 12V LED light strip it is made up of sections of 3 LEDs in series with one resistor per set. For small rectangular LEDs I have used a 12V circular unit consisting of 3 parallel sets of 4 LEDs in series, not a resistor to be seen. Once the metal backed circuit board is cut up into sections it is easier to solder to than individual LEDs, the individual units were wired in parallel to run off of a 2 cell NiMh pack(2.4V),  all working OK.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

skierdive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 08:59:48 pm »

Please remember that not all LEDS require the same supply voltage. Those that do, can be wired in series using a single resistor of the correct value to reduce the supply voltage to the correct level to enable the LEDS to work.
LEDS that require different voltages can be wired in parallel provided that they each have their own resistor connected to their positive leg.   

A model like the Mowe 2 would, I imagine only require maybe three or four LEDS at most for navigation lighting. Unless you want to put lights in the wheelhouse or install spot lights, flood lights and/or bulkhead lights. 

If you are only going to install three or four LEDS, it would depend on where you want to run the wiring in the your model and how complicated you want to make it. Try to imagine if you have to fault find at a later date so, keep it as simple as possible.

Ian.   

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 09:33:10 am »

HiI all ways use this site for working out my LED run's

www.instructables.com/id/choosing-the-resistor-to-use-with-led

Fred

That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 09:33:17 am »

:-))

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 10:10:42 pm »

Thanks to everyone for the help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.