Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: USCG Island class cutters  (Read 1833 times)

canalpilot

• Full Mayhemer
USCG Island class cutters
« on: October 09, 2018, 12:09:02 pm »

I wish to build a 1/48 scale model of an Island class  cutter of the USCG.  I have all the plans from the builders but am not very good at making the hull.  I have found a source of hulls (MTBHulls) but he requires a minimum order of 4 hulls to produce the hull, it is not a hull he has made before, so I am looking for 3 model makers who would like to buy a hull, they would be about £55 each plus any postage involved in my sending them on. I have tried to upload some photos of these vessels without success!!!  but anyone can see many photos of these craft on the internet. I am happy to copy the plans to send with the hull.

canalpilot

• Full Mayhemer
Re: USCG Island class cutters
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 12:10:59 pm »

I have absolutely no iea how I managed to upload the photo onto my post!!!!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 12:44:15 pm »

Well done sir!  :-))

I had a RTR version, great looking vessel!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 12:57:16 pm »

The Sentinel customs cutter made by Model Slipway is based on the same hull, see below . I don't think the model is made anymore (it's not on their website) but if you could find an old hull you could adapt. The scale was 1:40 so a little maths would be in order ie 20% bigger/
Don't Assume Check

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 01:08:01 pm »

I wish to build a 1/48 scale model of an Island class  cutter of the USCG.  I have all the plans from the builders but am not very good at making the hull.  I have found a source of hulls (MTBHulls) but he requires a minimum order of 4 hulls to produce the hull, it is not a hull he has made before, so I am looking for 3 model makers who would like to buy a hull, they would be about £55 each plus any postage involved in my sending them on. I have tried to upload some photos of these vessels without success!!!  but anyone can see many photos of these craft on the internet. I am happy to copy the plans to send with the hull.

if he is making the hull for the boat from scratch in order to  make a production mould in order to sell you 4 hulls for a total of £220 , I would snatch his hands off and buy all four to get you on your way, and you can sell the other hulls on at a later date...…..to build a hull from scratch and then make production moulds in grp is a long and relatively expensive process....at least 300 hours to get a good hull ready for moulding, which equates to him working for £0.75p an hour and then the cost of making the hull plus around £250 quid on resins gelcoats, release agent, polish etc etc...…...he's robbing himself at that rate...….get the order in...…..people will buy a hull and plans for a model like that very quickly...…..don't be another skinflint....plenty enough in the modelling world,  {-) {-) %% %% %% {:-{

MTB Hulls

• Full Mayhemer
  • MTB Hulls for Shipshape Models
    • MTB Hulls picture gallery
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 04:05:16 pm »

Hi Neil
I make them because I enjoy it  :-)) as you say in terms of hours I am always way out of pocket but the price quoted per hull (actually £45.00) will cover materials as these hulls are only 27.5" long. I've made over 200 moulds this way, one day I will sit back and just make hulls from already-made moulds and become a hulls mogul/oligarch/billionaire. Of this I am confident {:-{

Besides, just look at those hull lines, how can I resist? That is a beautiful hull, with inspiration by Vosper.
Regards,
Christian.
http://www.mtbhulls.co.uk/

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 05:41:25 pm »

Hi Neil
I make them because I enjoy it  :-)) as you say in terms of hours I am always way out of pocket but the price quoted per hull (actually £45.00) will cover materials as these hulls are only 27.5" long. I've made over 200 moulds this way, one day I will sit back and just make hulls from already-made moulds and become a hulls mogul/oligarch/billionaire. Of this I am confident {:-{ 
Besides, just look at those hull lines, how can I resist? That is a beautiful hull, with inspiration by Vosper.

you don't charge enough, my friend...………..I've been making plugs and moulds for years now, and even though I love doing them...……..I like to make a modest profit on each hull I make...……...sadly a lot of people begrudge even that, lol.

take care and happy moulding. :-))

canalpilot

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 08:33:31 pm »

I think I have two people now who would like one of these USCG cutter hulls, just need one more.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.