Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mountfleet St Nectan Trawler  (Read 3675 times)

kevin547n

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Mountfleet St Nectan Trawler
« on: October 15, 2018, 09:38:13 pm »

over the last few days i have been pondering the purchase of the Mountfleet St Nectan,
most of the reviews have been quite dated 2009, 2011 where it appears they were good quality , and fantastic customer support
i believe they had a bad fire a few years ago, and a lot of moulds were lost, but since then i dont think i have read a decent review on a post fire produced kit

obviously i dont want to part my hard earnt pennies on a product that does not meet decent standards, but she does look great on there website

alternatively any suggestion for a compatible kit if the comments are all negative, it will be a static build, i have the space and the funding, this is a Christmas pressie to myself, must be a trawler

Amerigo Vespucci -  Panart - 1/84
https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,66456.0.html

I tend to do a lot of building at the weekends, then ponder what i have achieved during the week, then adapt, redo or accept the following weekend

captain bligh

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats oh'd av um
Re: Mountfleet St Nectan Trawler
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 01:39:06 pm »

I'm sure they put out an SOS after the fire for anyone who had a hull untouched that they could borrow to take another mould from it so should be the same quality. :-)) Does make into a beautiful model a friend has one stunning !!
Regards Mike
It's not a bad man who makes a mistake its a good man who can get over it.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 03:21:36 pm »

I've not heard any complaints about quality or service about Mountfleet.... Ever!

http://www.mountfleetmodels.co.uk/

They go to all the Model Boat shows, great laugh.... but never buys me a tea!   <*<    {-)

( I can get some detail shots of a St Nectan at Warwick if you like. )
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 03:49:08 pm »

Here are a few photos of her taken a few years ago, as captain bligh says she makes into a stunning model  :-))

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 04:42:13 pm »

I built it some years ago, and the basic kit went together beautifully....I just made things difficult for myself by making it into a similar model built by the same company Cook Welton and Gemmel by changing the bridge veranda boats and adding a few more details...…...but the kit is well worth the near 1000 quid it is now...…...I bought mine when it was £650 though..heres my result.

she also was a static, with option for motorising later.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 04:56:01 pm »

A St Nectan as well?!

Neil..... just what models have built?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 05:02:27 pm »

however...….don't make the same mistake of making the mizzen mast to the full length of the plans drawing......Frank Hinchcliffe was an engineer and put sectional break lines on the two halves of the mizzen, just you only make the mast to the length of that denoted by the sectional breaks.....NOT THE FULL LENGTH of the masts shown on the plan, like quite a few, including a very well know reviewer did for the model boats mag.

the mizzen mast should be only slightly higher than the main mast, by around an inch at the most.

that's my  advice for the day.

Below is a picture of the actual ship I modelled...…….shortly before she was tragically lost, just before Christmas 1959

you can see her mast configuration on this photo of her steaming out of Fleetwood.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 05:05:09 pm »

A St Nectan as well?!

yehh, but I liked her configuration better than the St Nectan…...the Red Falcon is close to my heart...….as a childhood mate lost his dad on the ship when she went down in hurricane force seas off Scotland , Christmas time 1959.lost with all hands.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 05:07:57 pm »

I've even built an R/C Polaris submarine, the Resolution, Martin...…..a complete disaster, sailed once, sunk once, recovered once, dropped once and sold once....lol...….never again, {-) {-) {-) 

here's a picture of one of the Saint class trawlers showing her mast configuration just slightly taller than the mizzen just above the main mast.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 05:39:15 pm »

A St Nectan as well?!

Martin, you'd be surprised at what models I've built over the years, and plugs moulds and kits as well, that others now sell under their own name...…

the model of St Nectan started out as a vessel that I built from scratch called Pentland Firth, and Frank Hinchliffe borrowed the model for a few months so that he could with my permission copy all my fittings on the model and adapt them for the St Nectan and the Boston Typhoon...…..my legacy to the modelling world when I pop my clogs and fall off my perch.picture of the real Pentland Firth...the model went to the new pub of the time called The Ketch at Willerby, Hull, when the pub was newly built, god knows where it is these days.

Se was run down by the USS Hawfinch during WW2  mistakenly assumed to be  German submarine ...all crew were saved but their brass band instruments, stored in the fish hold were lost. the crew had apparently been so good that they had played for the president of the USA during their war duties.

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 07:29:20 pm »

I bought my Highlander just before they had the fire, and loaned Adam quite a lot of pieces from it for new moulds. Since then I have built Ben Ain and Lowgarth and recently acquired an old (10 years?) Osprey kit barely started. I think they are up there with the best and have no qualms about recommending them as excellent kits. If you can get to a show have a chat with Adam, he is a really nice chap. A friend of mine is slowly making the St Nectan and from what I have seen of it there is nothing wrong with the kit at all. Just take your time and be sure about every step before you cut or drill. They are quite complex kits.

John

kevin547n

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 08:19:56 pm »

thank you for your replies i will get round to answering each one, i have messaged the company and they have suggested that i wait until after the Blackpool and Warwick show, and order the kit then
meanwhile i have to complete my 1/72 HMS Victory before i can start the new build, i just sold my 1/72 HMS Fife Build, hence having funds available burning a hole in my pocket

I tend to do a lot of building at the weekends, then ponder what i have achieved during the week, then adapt, redo or accept the following weekend

kevin547n

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 08:24:05 pm »

I built it some years ago, and the basic kit went together beautifully....I just made things difficult for myself by making it into a similar model built by the same company Cook Welton and Gemmel by changing the bridge veranda boats and adding a few more details...…...but the kit is well worth the near 1000 quid it is now...…...I bought mine when it was £650 though..heres my result.

she also was a static, with option for motorising later.
lovely work, i would like to adapt her a little, as it is something my wife would like to see me build and certainly change the name ( the builds name, not my wifes)

kevin547n

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 08:25:40 pm »

however...….don't make the same mistake of making the mizzen mast to the full length of the plans drawing......Frank Hinchcliffe was an engineer and put sectional break lines on the two halves of the mizzen, just you only make the mast to the length of that denoted by the sectional breaks.....NOT THE FULL LENGTH of the masts shown on the plan, like quite a few, including a very well know reviewer did for the model boats mag.

the mizzen mast should be only slightly higher than the main mast, by around an inch at the most.

that's my  advice for the day.

Below is a picture of the actual ship I modelled...…….shortly before she was tragically lost, just before Christmas 1959

you can see her mast configuration on this photo of her steaming out of Fleetwood.

and good advice it is to, Thank you

kevin547n

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 08:27:21 pm »

I've even built an R/C Polaris submarine, the Resolution, Martin...…..a complete disaster, sailed once, sunk once, recovered once, dropped once and sold once....lol...….never again, {-) {-) {-) 

here's a picture of one of the Saint class trawlers showing her mast configuration just slightly taller than the mizzen just above the main mast.

after spending 28+ years in subs, i wont be being one any time soon, I spent 8 of them on Repulse

kevin547n

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 08:30:23 pm »

I've not heard any complaints about quality or service about Mountfleet.... Ever!

http://www.mountfleetmodels.co.uk/

They go to all the Model Boat shows, great laugh.... but never buys me a tea!   <*<    {-)

( I can get some detail shots of a St Nectan at Warwick if you like. )

thank you for your reply i would love some shots, lol you can even try and get me some discount LOL

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 08:37:51 pm »

Mountfleet would now be out of business if the stuff they turned out 2+ years after the fire had been poor quality. Modelling is a close knit community.
Agree they need to get some more up to date reviews out there though.

kevin547n

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 09:00:17 pm »

i felt the need to ask the question, after all i am about to fork out nearly £900 for it, BUT i needed to find the review that caused my concern, it was from  rcgroup.com and not the ST Nectan, im more than happy to go ahead now, oh and i guess i better tell the wife

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2018, 09:14:12 pm »

after spending 28+ years in subs, i wont be being one any time soon, I spent 8 of them on Repulse

had a mate on the Resolution.....that's why I built it, and then working his way up to CPO, he joined the Trenchant......was a wizard apparently wit electronics, and he and a fellow man developed a black box for ships, and Samsung bought out their designs making them millionaires overnight once they left the navy...….he now lives in Cyprus...……..

klz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2018, 09:22:03 pm »

This link is to another mount fleet model Boston Typhoon http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56664.0.html its been built by one of our members in the last 12 months and its very nice, we now have 3 in the club and to see all 3 on the water was impressive I think Trawlerman-Les posted a video of its maiden voyage.

kevin547n

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2018, 09:23:54 pm »

had a mate on the Resolution.....that's why I built it, and then working his way up to CPO, he joined the Trenchant......was a wizard apparently wit electronics, and he and a fellow man developed a black box for ships, and Samsung bought out their designs making them millionaires overnight once they left the navy...….he now lives in Cyprus...……..
no such luck with me after Repulse i went to Sceptre and  was retired off as part off the Bett reoprt, 3 years later after 9/11 i was back in and rejoined sceptre where i left her 3 years earlier, did 2 years on vanguard, did total of 33 years of which 6 was in warships
best time was 8 years on Odin

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.