Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HUMBROL - White acrylic gloss spraypaint Problems  (Read 2160 times)

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
HUMBROL - White acrylic gloss spraypaint Problems
« on: October 21, 2018, 11:01:08 pm »

Can anybody tell me what's going on with this product.

I've bought 4 cans of the above product and two worked. The other 2 are terrible. When I spray, a thick white fluid with white specks in it. Also, it never dries but remains tacky. I've got yellow, primer, green of the same type and they are all OK! So, has anybody experienced this as well? I did contact HUMBROL Customer Relations and they said they would investigate but to date have heard nothing. they didn't even ask for the faulty tins. Some customer care that is!!!

Has anybody else had this problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated as this is holding me up. Thanks a lot.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HUMBROL - White acrylic gloss spraypaint Problems
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 02:04:22 am »

Hi supaboat ......I have found that most Companies that trade in the World market employee people to work in their Customer relations or Help Line offices......these people have a home & rent & need their pay packet so are rewarded by the good service they provide as individuals

From your [Postal Code?] EH47DF reference, you are in the UK [Edinburgh?] .....so is the following the contact group you contacted?

You don't mention the time frame or method of contact

If it was by e-mail, why not send a polite reminder......[a good tip here is to copy & paste the body of your text to a Documents in your PC, so you also have a copy to paste in your latest e-mail

If your contact was by telephone, did you get the name of the Humbrol person?...... add this to your e-mail......& ask politely for  time frame commitment that you believe is reasonable

Humbrol products have a unique computer generated Bar Code......why not ask for a dedicated e-mail link address where you can provide an image of the manufacturing batch Bar Code

We have read over the recent months that Humbrol is returning production manufacturing back to UK & the USA  from China, however I am not suggesting that this is linked to the issue you mention

Derek 

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 10:29:03 am »

G'day mate. Thanks for the suggestions and info. I'll give it one more try and lets see what happens. Its just I am really annoyed with their lack of attention on this one especially when I had to strip everything right back, try again and then strip right back again. The point is if the customer care department really does care then they should not need prompting? Why not call it customer contact and drop the care bit?

I also gave them the batch number details for their investigation.

Anyway, do you have any other paint recommendations? Preferably acrylic spray gloss.

Thanks for the reply and have a good day mate.

rsm

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 12:10:28 pm »

I have found Halfords "Appliance White" to spray easily and give a good gloss finish (used with their primer). Regards.
Roger

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 12:33:25 pm »

What 'rsm' said, Halfords paint is superb stuff, I've been using it on boats and aircraft models for years and it rarely fails.

[That doesn't apply to the single can of Ford Stratos Silver that failed to spray at all and when I removed the nozzle to investigate the entire contents of the can blew all over the model, my loft and me...........  :}]
Regards
Kit

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 01:40:13 pm »

Hello
Rule 1 put Humbrol paints in the bin if you don't want to pre try the paint . They are cheap Chinese crap . quality control does not exist at all. Your model your call but since they moved to china the quality went through the floor and never stopped. Yes people will say I have Humbrol paints and they are ok . And they will be correct  in that batch but the next batch maybe not so. I had a tub of green acrylic very good. Went to get a new tub and it was crap. went in the bin

john

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 01:53:50 pm »

Much of the range was moved back to UK manufacturing in 2012 following complaints about inconsisnet quality from the China suppliers. Not sure to what extent tht has improved things.

https://www.humbrol.com/uk-en/about-us
I agree with RSM that Halfords Appliance white over their white primer gives a very nice finish and a pure white. You might want to consider polishing it afterwards depending on what degree of gloss you want.
Colin

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 05:04:41 pm »

Just for reference, the latest spec aerosols from Humbrol can be distinguished from older batches by the excessive amount of safety data, in many languages. This leaves about a 2 inch square of red and white label near the top of the can.  If you have a full length label it is slightly older stock. The Gloss white is coming through with the small label at the moment.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 09:15:20 pm »

I back up what rsm says about Halfords Appliance White. It is a nice bright basic white, not some fancy variant from the car industry. Lots of light coats as it does build up quickly.

John

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 04:48:17 pm »

Got an email from Humbrol today regarding the faulty paints.They said they were sending me a replacement by Monday.I find it rather curious that they didn't ask for the faulty tins to check the fault. Either they don't care or this is a common occurrence and they are well aware of it.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 09:22:15 pm »

You had given them the batch code, obviously there was a known issue, so just a waste of freight costs....are aerosol cans permitted to be Posted in the UK, or must it be via courier?.............anyway, good result .....restores faith in suppliers :-))      Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 09:52:32 am »

Much of the range was moved back to UK manufacturing in 2012 following complaints about inconsisnet quality from the China suppliers. Not sure to what extent tht has improved things.

https://www.humbrol.com/uk-en/about-us
I agree with RSM that Halfords Appliance white over their white primer gives a very nice finish and a pure white. You might want to consider polishing it afterwards depending on what degree of gloss you want.
Colin
I suspect that the problem is moving existing stock through the chain.  Add to that the reluctance of modellers to absorb new information.  When a very reliable company allows accountants to determine its policy, even for a short time, a good reputaion can be shot to ribbons very quickly, and it takes a long time to rebuild a reputation after a hit like that.  A weekend living it up can take years to live down.  "Inconsistent qualty" was a very polite way of putting it.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2018, 08:56:56 pm »

Ok. my replacement can arrived today.I'll give it a try tomorrow. I suppose I should be grateful for the one can but cant help thinking how Humbrol have missed a marketing chance here? I think the last two posts hit the nail on the head. Thasnks for the input anyway.

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2018, 01:33:46 am »

Demand the other tin. Remind them there were two. Say there must be an error as two tins were faulty
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.