Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDML plans  (Read 13153 times)

cdsc123

HDML plans
« on: September 25, 2007, 02:27:15 pm »

General arrangement drawings for RN 72ft HDML;
http://www.naval-history.net/WW2Ships-HDML1001-01Plans.JPG

meridian

Re: HDML plans
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 09:21:46 pm »

I must have been asleep when you posted this one!
That's a plan of HL 1387, now HMS Medusa, currently undergoing a major refit in Hythe in the UK. I am planning on visiting her next month to take a few photographs.
I have a copy of the plan shown which was sent to me by Alan Watson of The Medusa Trust.
The reason I know a little about this boat is because I am in the process of building a 1:24 scale model of 1387 as she was on D Day. I am currently installing the running gear so still some way to go.

Regards,

Andrew

cdsc123

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 11:16:20 am »

Hi Andrew, good for you; please remeber to post photos of your build here.

p.s. the General Arrangement drawings (as opposed to plans) shown on the link apply equally to all the other (493) HDMLs built too.
Also, Medusa was ML 1387, not HL. HL would have been a Harbour Launch, whereas the Harbour Defence Motor Launches were designated "Motor Launches".

Cheers,

meridian

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 12:07:33 pm »

Thanks for response cdsc123. Yes I did know that the designation was ML, just a careless mistake on my part.
Pictures of the build will be posted in due course.

Powered Boat Mouldings

• Full Mayhemer
    • PBM + HSL Mouldings
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 12:03:21 pm »

Hi Andrew
              We can supply all of the fittings + crew for the HDML in 1:24 scale.http://www.hslmouldings.co.uk/ Check us out may save you a lot of repertory work.

Regards Rob.

cdsc123

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 09:03:41 pm »

Hi John

Many thanks for sharing your opinion, fascinating stuff indeed. So that drawing is only for ML 1387. Now I have really learnt something new after 30 years of being a Coastal Forces fanatic, just goes to show you.

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 11:26:49 pm »

I think the key phrase here is " General Arrangement " as in this is how the HDMLs were planned and as such does  apply to all.

If you wish to build a specific boat then Detailed Plans/Photographs are required.

Having said that the majority of model makers are happy to build to type for pleasure and are happy to leave the 'rivet counting' to others.

When all's said and done the number of people who can say your wrong are few and far between.

Just my thoughts . . .

longshanks

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 11:58:51 pm »

WoW on a thread over 7 years old !!   %%  %)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 12:31:26 am »

Guys...after having worked in Industry [steel, marine, Naval for 30 years and as a registered consultant for the past 20 years back in steel] I must agree here with longshanks on what constitutes a "General Arrangement drawing"....there are many close relationship definitions depending in the industry concerned, however I have chosen the following from the WIKI people as it relates to marine engineering or and design

"The General Arrangement, or GA as it is commonly called, is a drawing created by a naval architect. The purpose of this drawing is for space allocation, to ensure that everything that an owner wants in a vessel will actually fit. The GA consists of (at a minimum) a plan view of each major deck of the vessel, shows all of the watertight and structural bulkheads, as well as joiner bulkheads. All of the furniture is typically shown or in early stages the furniture and large items to be on the vessel are roughly blocked in (though this may be broke out into arrangement drawings for complex arrangements). Passageways, stairwells and all equipment vital to the ships operation are shown. The ship spaces (head, mess, etc.) are shown"

"G/A Drawings" do differ from "As Built Plans"....................one could suggest that a model built from G/A drawings would be to a "stand off scale", whereas a model built faithfully to As Built plans would be "scale".......................

Taking this one step further, a build intended as Museum quality would need to be faithfully reproduced....any deviation from the "As Built plans"  would preclude it from being classed as true scale  <*<.....

However the same series model produced from General arrangement drawings if built to a high quality standard....could draw more attention by 100's at the pool side :-)).........Derek O0
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

richardabeattie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2019, 09:43:54 pm »

I am building the HDML using the Sarik hull and the associated drawings.  The plan view is not symetrical.  Beam measurements from the centre line are not equal.

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2019, 11:13:31 pm »

"Allied Coastal Forces of World War II" Volume 1, Fairmile designs and US submarine Chasers, by John Lambert and Al Ross has extensive plans for the HDML.I have some pictures of HDML's being built and Trialed in Ellsworth, Maine, USA that I will post when I get a chance to access my other computer.Jonathan

richardabeattie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2019, 07:37:47 am »

Thanks - I live only 400 miles from the restored survivoing HDML in Gosport.

richardabeattie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2019, 07:38:12 am »

For 400 read 40!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2019, 10:02:35 am »

To answer your question from a few days back Richard........considering that the design of these vessels were generically built from other vessels designs......could I suggest that the basic Plan View should be totally asymmetric

Printed plans can visually distort after multiple print over print , then photocopied........beam measurements could vary, but not printed dimensions do not lie  {-)

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.