Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Celestine ( Deans Marine )  (Read 59554 times)

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
Re: celestine
« Reply #125 on: November 18, 2015, 07:56:42 pm »

hi Yannis
They came with the kit . The big Cobelfret Ferries is a vinyl and her name Celestine and  the logo on the funnel are transfers

John

bassplayer1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: November 18, 2015, 10:19:17 pm »

Thanks for the info John :-))

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: December 30, 2015, 08:22:29 pm »

Well Took the soldering iron back and got a full refund ,So I say Thank you Maplins . I brought a new from them
Move on the the life boats . look at the old stuff ,all I reused was the boats and the winch casting . The boats need a hell of a lot of work and detailing . The davits and platform were are scratch built. I did think about making them work but it was to much work .The boat need attaching to the platform as they are only hanging on the blocks at the moment . Big problem the rear davit is over the forward opening so some changes are going to be need

John

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: January 03, 2016, 09:38:10 pm »

Hello All
small update . Progress on the Starboard life boat is coming on well.While I have the house to my self I have taken the time to re organise the workshop and sand down a load of castings for Celestine .
I have been trying a new of doing the hand rails . So far I have had real good results . First I put a little bit of flux using a dental tool ,then I put a bit of solder past over the flux with a different dental tool. Then just touch it with the soldering Iron for a few sec and then you get a perfect solder joint with minimal solder. So thanks Carl  for recommend the solder past

John

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: March 25, 2016, 09:26:56 pm »

Hi All
been a while since I did an updated . I am working on her masts . she has 5 and I have done 2 and starting the 3rd . I hope to be getting the all the lights working. Since I can find any 1:100 lamps I have had to make my own . Found some very small LEDs on Ebay from China. Been casting flood lamps in clear resin with an led in it. The clear cast is horrible stuff to work with .

john

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: March 28, 2016, 10:30:56 pm »

well got the middle sub mast soldered today. It was original glued together. Took it apart and cleaned it up . I just reused the core of the mast . all the rest was made up from brass rod. needs painting .lights added and the wind speed indicator . Also made up 2 more lights

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #131 on: July 02, 2016, 10:10:04 pm »

Well restarted on Celestine . Started with the rear load ramp as I am bored with doing masts . The plan was to make the ramp out of copper clad and brass. Made a start . They the laws physics kicked in and I not have a scrap part started ramp. It has just warped . Not to sure what to do next. I have a friend who builds O gauge brass locos so I will ask him for advice . Some days I really hate this boat .

John

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #132 on: July 03, 2016, 10:19:25 am »

Looks like heat distortion on the copper-clad board to me John - as it is a sandwich of different materials, the 'filling' has expanded with the concentrated heat and has no chance to return to it's original size because it is now fixed by the brass tube.

Why not try to either make it entirely out of styrene parts or entirely out of brass?  The copper-clad can be replaced by a single sheet of suitable thickness brass - but it might be a tad heavy (but on Celestine, this may not be such an issue..)

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: July 03, 2016, 12:57:20 pm »

Hi Carl
Thats what I thought after it had warped .
I am weary about soldering again , once bitten twice shy etc .
Whit plastic I am wear about it strength and will that warp over time ?

john

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: July 03, 2016, 06:33:25 pm »

It is just a thought , is it soldered the whole length ,how about trying stich soldering ,in welding bar to plate our welder would start in the middle with a short run then work out from there with a very short runs on alternate sides .I know this is just small it could be worth a try. A dab of bakers with a cotton bud and a flash with a pencil torch might work .
only a suggestion.
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: July 03, 2016, 09:08:20 pm »

I am going to try plastic for now and see how that works . Will need to go to the shop and get some more

john

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #136 on: July 03, 2016, 10:42:02 pm »

I have just designed a 3D printed version of the stern ramp for the Norland - unfortunately, for Celestine I think the cost would be prohibitively expensive....it is a large ramp if I remember correctly  {:-{ .

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: July 04, 2016, 08:14:11 am »

Hi Carl
It is a big ramp and I am making it working. So it need to be strongish

john

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: December 23, 2016, 09:25:31 pm »

Hi All . A lot has been done on Celestine  and I will try and bring this post up to date .
Ramp .
MK1 brass and copper clad . warped ,scraped .
MK2 plastic and plastic strip . warped ,scraped.
MK3 brass frame and reused the original plastic deck with the small beams . Looked messy .
MK3B Brass frame the add the smaller beams out of brass. Epoxied the plastic deck down . Epoxied made a mess. During cleaning up the epoxy the deck got damaged . Bit of a rethink
MK3C new deck super glued down . Looked good . detailed the ramp up. and got the finger ramp to work .

John 

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: December 23, 2016, 09:28:02 pm »

more ramp photos
john

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: December 23, 2016, 09:31:35 pm »

more ramp photos
john

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: December 23, 2016, 09:58:36 pm »

Well made up a load of hand rails . They are all soldered . Made up X4 little platforms . Did the mast that sits between the funnels with working lights . Make up all the rear mooring winches and bollards. On the funnels add the silver top tubes . Tested the smoke unit and it works well.Added the mast on the stern and the Bow .

John

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: December 23, 2016, 10:01:37 pm »

few more
john

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: December 23, 2016, 10:22:59 pm »

John....congratulations....that is a massively large brass constructed stern ramp....I see you have also used square sectioned support material :-))

The stern support structure for the ramp is also a model in itself

I suspect we could all learn a few tricks from you O0 in heat sinks whilst soft soldering

Sometimes it is a necessary disappointment to paint brass work  >>:-(

The weight of the ramp itself will not need any form of weighting ballast......will you have spring loaded cylinders as pushouts to take the ramp over centre?

I look forward to your build progress..........Merry Christmas.......... Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: December 24, 2016, 11:02:44 am »

Hi Derek
In the photo you can see the ramp sat on a marble slab. this did 2 things . 1 provided a flat surface to work on and 2nd a heat sink . At the end of a long soldering secession the marble slab was warm .
The ramp it self is not to much more in weight than the original resin one  . The ramp is lower up and down by the two rams which are connected to a linner actuator via two snakes . The finger ramp works on gravity
john

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: December 24, 2016, 11:13:04 am »

the last update to bring you all up to date .
The main mast. After a lot of though on which way to go plastic or brass I went for brass for strength . All that has been reused of the old mast is a bit of the sat com casting  .
The mast will have X4 working flood lights and working nav lights. I might get one of the radars turning .

John

desktoprover

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #146 on: December 29, 2016, 02:43:04 pm »

Beautiful work!  The level of detailing is awesome.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
Re: celestine.
« Reply #147 on: January 01, 2017, 08:51:45 pm »

Well lamps fitted. They were all tested prior to fitting. They will not be retested until the mast is peremently fitted. You can see the mass of wires 22 in total. The cables are held in with wire rap then super glue. The hold the glue has is poor due to the cable being a nylon type cable. A few little bits left to do on the mast. Work starts on the bridge interior. Have to do a bit of repair on the bridge.

john

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: February 05, 2017, 09:09:54 pm »

done a bit more work . Realised I made some mistakes on the rear of the superstructure so had to do some correction work . Been adding detail . just given it a coat of primer .

John

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #149 on: October 11, 2017, 09:49:07 pm »

Hello
well I forgot I had this tread .
Well I had to repaint and had a disaster. Not thats all fixed . Detail was added to the rear of the Superstructure. Built the control panels in side the bridge . Add lights . Done lots of handrails
john 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.