Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: newbie alert  (Read 2458 times)

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
newbie alert
« on: November 06, 2007, 05:18:41 pm »

Ok you guys, be gentle, first stupid question of the day, I have a couple of different builds on the go and am attending the Boatshow this weekend in Warwick. However, I have just wrapped my head around the difference beyween 27 and 40 mhz radios and there crystals, yet I am still having a problem with the BEC item, don't know exactly what its for. So, from a layman's perspective could someone give me a few brief tutorials on the rc electrical systems and the purpose and importance of the BEC in this system. And if I see you this weekend, I'll leave the dog at home.
Robert

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Re: newbie alert
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 05:32:51 pm »

A BEC is a Battery Eliminator Circuit usually found in electronic speed controllers (ESC). They are used to power the Receiver and servos instead of a separate 4.8 or 6 volt battery pack This is quite important in model aircraft where weight is an issue, not normally a problem in boats.

Some Receivers are also marked as having a  BEC. In this case it just means they can handle a voltage higher than 6v - how much higher will depend on the Rx.

It is normally better in a boat to use a separate Rx battery. In this case if the main drive battery voltage drops too low, you still have a working Rx to bring the boat to shore ;)

Hope this helps. I will be at the show on Friday and Sunday - look me up on the Burton club stand.

Barrie

catengineman

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 05:40:12 pm »

BEC is Battery Elimination Circuit this system is so that your model's reciever will take it's power from the speed controller and therefore you need NOT fit any seperate power supply (it has it's pros and cons)

27 mhz to my knowledge is slowly being "dropped" in the model  world from over use, and 40 mhz seems to be the new kid on the block. 27 mhz and 40 mhz Xtails are not mixable ie: 27 in trans 27 in rec = OK 40 in trans 40 in rec = OK
27 in tran 40 in rec = no go useless and vise versa.

I'm no xpert and theis forum is a wealth of info if you require it "shout out" or use the search function on the home page.

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 05:51:56 pm »

so if the esc supplies power to the rx then there is no need for a separate bec, correct.
robert
which as i understand from the advertising, most escs' do supply the rx

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 07:46:29 pm »

Correct if you are going to buy a set go for something decent like FUTABA spend a little more buy cheap buy twice!!!!!!!!!!!

Stavros

PS INSIST on 40mhz FM

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 08:32:40 pm »

Can I be a pedant here - tough because I am going to be.....

The frequencies for RC boats are 27MHz and 40MHz

Moderated due to other silly childish comments by other forum members

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 11:35:34 am »

.Topic moderated

Back to the subject Ladies and Gentelmen

Stavros
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.