Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice please Buhler motors  (Read 4368 times)

lucifer

Advice please Buhler motors
« on: November 25, 2007, 12:58:48 pm »

Ok I need help ( with the boat aswell)

I Have just finished a Billings Smit London went to do the float test in the bath and found the motor setup I had put in was pants,

Anyway I have seen alot of talk about Buhler Motors and they sound like they would do the job but where can I get them?

Thanks
in advance
Jay

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Advice please Buhler motors
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 01:09:18 pm »

It depends just WHICH Buhler motors.
I have 2 at the moment which run at 150 rpm on 12 volts, but have used in the past superb motors.
The most suitable for boats are usually 24 volt motors. But always be aware that most motors are produced for other requirements and we only use a small proportion of those produced.
Clear as MUD now I assume!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

The_Ships_Cat

• Shipmate
  • Yorkie Builder
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 03:03:44 pm »

The man to contact is Alistair Graham of Model Motors Direct , he is rather difficult to find as he does not have a web site , The last phone number I had was 01747-812440, Hope this helps

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 03:22:44 pm »

Try Model Motors Direct (Alistair Graham) .
Number used to be 01458 850061. but may have changed since I last had contact.
This guy usually has a stand at the major modelling shows and knows all there  is to know about motors. 
He used to be a principal source for Buhler motors.
Other readers may be able to help you out if Graham has changed address and/or phone number.

Good luck O0
Confucius he say, 'if all else fails.......reach for the  Red Top-Stop'.

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 07:07:03 pm »

Try protech Motors from Red Bank models excellent motors

Stavros

hama

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 07:32:58 pm »

Hello Lucifer!
As I have just started on my Smit London I am very interested to know what motor setup you put in that didn't work so I don't do the same mistake. Please share your experience with your new setup when you find one. Any pictures of your new Smit?

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 10:54:21 pm »

hi jay . I have built the same boat but called her the rotherdam. When i first made her she ran on 550 motors and billings plastic props. This set up gave poor running performance. I swaped the plastic 3 blade props for a pair of brass 4 bladed kort nozzel props from simion at the prop shop. The differance it made was a hell of a lot. Thats the first step i would take if you havent. I am rebuilding her all thought taking a very long time. I figured out there has to be a better motor than the old 550. I brought 2 buhler motor from model motors direct. They are very nice motors.I have not yet fitted them. But reading on this forum a while a go people recommened trying them on 24v instead of 12v. I tryed this on the work shop bench and was pleased with the results. My current boat is the deans marine mv celestine at 62" long with 2, 5 bladed 55mm brass props . I have remotored her with protech 720 bb torque part number me72102. at £12.85 each. The equivelent graunper cost any were from £25 to £ 30. The results i got from these protech motors has pleased me very much. So much so that if the buhler motors dont perform they will be removed and replaced by protech. john

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 10:58:16 pm »

lucifer,
What motors and props do you have in her now?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

lucifer

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 12:31:26 pm »

The 1st tests where with 545 motor's with the billings props :-( upgrade to 4 blade drass props from the prop shop and a bit better but not what I was looking for so last night messeing about with the spares box tried a couple of 385's on a gearbox to give mure grunt and they did the part but the power drian was sky high

I'm going to try a few of the suggestions the key thing was not to spend much more money as the wife has spotted the credit card statement :-(

I'll let you know how I get on and get some pics of her

Thanks
for the help

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 05:04:59 pm »

I would go with cos918's sugestion, wont break the bank but will give proven performance.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

lucifer

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 09:50:16 pm »

Thanks for all the input

I've sent an e-mail to RedBank models as they have been said to stock the Protech motors

Fingers crossed I'll get it sorted shortly as I'm dying to get her out on the water

lucifer

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 11:47:58 pm »

Ok got her up and running went with two graupner speed 500 as advised by A Model Wold they run well and have more than enough grunt on either 6v or 12 volt

Thanks for all the help
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.