Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help with wiring  (Read 2169 times)

botchit

help with wiring
« on: November 29, 2007, 10:00:12 am »

Hi All.
         Im about to put the permanent wiring in place on the kit i'm building.As the wires with it weren,t long enough for where i'm running them and xtensions aren't much better i did a temp job, with odds and sods to make sure all worked and ran. Can i now use car radio cable or the likes of 1mm house hold wire in rubber insulation or again does it have to be a particular thing before i make the permanent joints and sheath them.
Thanks for all help todate
Botchit :embarrassed:

wingertaz

Re: help with wiring
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 10:15:48 am »

Hi, 
   Is the wires you wish to extend power IE: for the motor, radio IE: servos etc or ancillaries.

Gary

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 10:18:53 am »

Are you talking about the battery/ESC/motor wiring, or the wiring to the radio? For the motor etc, any wire of sufficient current carrying capacity is OK, but it is best to go for multi strand type as its more flexible and therefore easier to run neatly.

Barrie

PS I see Wingertaz has asked a  similar question. If you talking about the radio wiring you really need to use proper extension leads.

botchit

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 10:52:30 am »

Sorry folks i'm wiring the battery and motor

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 11:12:37 am »

Stranded wire is better as it will stand up to vibration and being moved better than solid.  Plastic or rubber insulation is OK as neither is badly afffected by damp.  Avoid cloth insulation.  Provided the wire is rated for the current that it will be carrying (or better) It will continue to work.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

wingertaz

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 11:16:58 am »

Hi, If it's power wire it will depend on what current you want the wire to carry. I usually use 14awg silicone wire as it's more flexible than std insulated wire. You can use connectors of your choice as long as they will cope with the current. I prefer to soldier all my wires rather than have connectors.

If in doubt about the wire always go for Heavier rather than lighter gauge wire.  O0

Regards Gary

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 11:39:31 am »

Botchit
What's the model, the motor, the battery voltage and the type of speed controller (with its current rating)? I recommend silicon-covered cable from Component Shop.
FLJ

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 07:57:55 pm »

Well, I'm going to buck the trend here.....

Unless you envisage the temperature of the cable being above about 70C then there is no point in forking out the extra for silicone cable. Standard PVC insulated cable is good for 70C......Actually in an enclosed space you might find that the manufacturers of Silicone cable derate the  rating down to 70C.

As for the extra flexibility of Silicone cable - properly routed PVC cable is as good - the trick is to ensure that the cable is either firmly restrained or  has an adequate loop length.

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.