Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Stavs Super springer  (Read 17332 times)

Stavros

Stavs Super springer
« on: December 01, 2007, 06:39:25 pm »

Right it was about time that I built one of these wonderfull crafts so I can reek havoc as well as the rest of you at mayhem bashes.Allright I know I don't need a springer to reek havoc me just being there is enough!!!
Right Me being lazy have bought a hull from our Scottish connection Norry and good it is as well,now Me being Me decided it had to be different and yes you guessed it more powerfull than the rest,well it would not be one of mine without power would it.So I decided after seeing sense ,well I was going initially going to put a MFA 850 in one but saw sense,just about!,so in is going a Scothell drive that I just had lying around mated to a Graupener speed 600. This unit I do believe is not the Graupener but a Marx unit and I must admit is quite powerfull time will tell.
Work so far has involved fitting of the drive unit and the servo for steering it,see pictures more to follow as build goes along.Have decided for ease of servicing etc that the whole deck will be removable by screws along the top of the deck with access to the batts via the superstructure with a seal around the deck flange picture to follow on that.

Stavros

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Stavs Super springer
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 09:03:51 pm »

hmm  interesting.

I started my super springer today, going to have two steerable korts!  O0 ;D O0 {-) {-)

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 07:57:55 am »

Looking interesting Stavros..
Would be interesting to see how she performs and how well she pulls with the Schottle drive...

By the way, with a light hull, a 7.2v pack.. you are going to need a couple of house bricks as ballast..

Boatmadman..
We need more details.. and pics...

Both of you..
Scoot bollard pulls 2lb 14oz..  :D
Mustang Sally bollard pulls 4lb 4oz...  :o

You think you can beat that?...  :P

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 08:01:09 am »

hmm - gauntlet is down!

No pics yet, just knocked up the basic hull yesterday, working out hardware requirements next.

Ian

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 10:45:48 am »

ok Toesupwa how do you measure you bollard pull

Stavros

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 01:01:21 pm »

...and how do you measure pushing ability or is that the same :-\?
..well can you land on this?

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 03:06:12 pm »

Looks interesting Stavros this could the start of many more schottle driven springers :o

glass fibre hull aswell where on earth did you get that from i didnt think anyone produced them.

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

Stavros

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 03:43:14 pm »

PM Norry he makes them

Stavros

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 04:17:06 pm »

Stavros
I built a small boat for my grandson a long while ago  :'( which had one of these in it; Riggers has it now. Mine used a rewound 540, which was quite sedate on 12 volts. You have to be ultra-careful with the rudder linkage i.e. no slop whatsoever, as it's geared up from the servo arm to the actual Z-drive bit. Any slop and you'll be all over the pond - but at least you'll have an excuse for it this time!
FLJ

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 04:46:23 pm »

ok Toesupwa how do you measure you bollard pull

Stavros

I tie off a digital fishing scale (any pull scale would work) to something substantial.. tied off to the Springers towing bollards with about 6 - 8ft of line and gently let the throttle increase. Have someone watch the scale and give you the readings.
Dont go for a short line as the 'bounce' of the water from the prop against the 'harbour wall' will give you false readings.

http://www.steerprop.com/bollardpullcode.pdf

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 06:07:09 pm »

...Hi Guys...

I think I,m going to have a rethink on Wee Johnny,s Common 5/8th Springer Tug now...

I might have to mould a GRP hull for myself & power it up with a Mega Motor & Prop with a Mega Kort Nozzle just to compete with you guys...

You are all going Bodmin (Doc Martin talk for nuts) about these wee boats...

I built Wee Johnny one last year for playing football & also built a Big Brother for it for Steering & Docking competitions next year...

I cant get on with my real Tug Boats for these Springers...Maybe I,m going Bodmin as well...

...All The Best...Norry...

...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 11:08:44 am »

Stavros

I like the idea of a screw down removeable deck, what are you going to use to seal the deck?

Ian

Stavros

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 05:23:57 pm »

Easy peasy apply a good beat of silicone sealant around the deck perimeter apply PLENTY of VASALINE OR GREASE to the underside of deck screw down and forget.when you come to remove the deck no probs as silicone will stay behind and due to the grease on the underside of the deck it wont stick,told you it was easy,old Indian trick that one!!!!

Stavros

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 05:36:24 pm »

nice one stav, ty  O0

bogstandard

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 07:22:32 pm »

Dave,

I think I have seen that drive somewhere before.
It is a Marx unit and I've still got the prop here to use it without the nozzle.
I gather you don't want the plans for the other one then?

Glad it is being put to a good use.

John

Stavros

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 07:44:57 pm »

No as the sides of the original were damaged beyond repair I decided to use the unit in the springerinstead so it is going to be worked hard!!!!! There was a prop on the unit allready,and I have not forgotten about the other boats!!!!
A ha Me just had thought yes I need the plans,as me found use for the superstructure O0
Right more progress has been made deck edging has been stuck on with p40 and sanded down to give an absolute flat surface to stick the deck on

Stavros

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2007, 12:29:58 pm »

I used the silicon trick when making gaskets for submarines Stavros, but found that it could still stick sometimes. Remedey was same method, but place a sheet of clingfilm over the silicon before clamping down, perfect every time after that.

Stavros

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2007, 10:28:33 pm »

Right some progress slowly but surely we will get there.Right deck is on for now,deck coaming fixed,I am going to use a wheelhouse that I had from a scrapped pusher tug which will have to be modified slightly to fit,also an access hatch has been cut to gain access to the Scothel drive, more pictures soon

Stavros

norry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2007, 12:38:42 pm »

...Hi Stav...

Your Super Springer is looking good...

Dont depend too much on the power you will get from the schottel...

In my experience with these schottells I found you will get Lots of Noise, Excellent Manouverability, but not a lot of power when it comes to pulling or pushing...

I had a wee tug a few years back with one fitted in it powered by a 6 volt decaperm & it run the bearings & gearing when i used it to push a large sailing ship of a reef in the pond...

I would have a plan B ready just in case...

...All The Best...Norry...

Red_Hamish

• Full Mayhemer
  • Have a wee dram and enjoy life
    • Edinburgh Model Boat Club
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2007, 11:00:37 pm »

Hello Stavros, I'd have to agree with Norry. I too had a very manoeuverable tug which operated a twin Schottel  set up.. Looked lovely on the water  but the noise which caame off the (again) Decaperms on 6v was horendous. It could be run on 12v but the vibrations oh my the vibrations. Not much in the way of bollard pull either on 6v a lowly 1/4lb and that was being generous  :embarrassed: Still I'd love to build a decent schottel unit and try again with it. The reason is I loved the way you could pirouette arond the steering courses but shy away from towing.

cheers

Jim  O0

p.s. Is there anyone up here in Shetland interested in tug towing ?

p.p.s. I intend to build a pair of standard springers for my kids. Can't wait for the two week holiday looming
Visit www.paddleducks.co.uk & www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk for all your model boating needs!
See what life is all about www.visitshetland.com/sumburgh-airport-live-video This is the pace of life that the doctors prescribe, so laid back that you

norry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 11:39:54 am »

[b]            ...Hi Red Hamish...[/b]

How are things with you & yours...

I take it you have moved to Shetland....Wow ...What a place...I won a trip to the Shetlands at the Festival of the Seas when it was at Leith...

I took my 2 sons with me & we had a fantatsic time...Have you been up to Sullom Voe yet to see the real tugs in action...We spent a day with the guys on the "DUNTER" and it was definately the highlight of the holiday...The guys on the tugs were very freindly & nothing was a problem with them....

Iwould definately take another holiday up there if i could afford it...Are there any good sailing venues near you...If i come back up I will bring some boats with me...

...Have A Merry Christmas & A Happy New Year....Norry...

Red_Hamish

• Full Mayhemer
  • Have a wee dram and enjoy life
    • Edinburgh Model Boat Club
Re: Stavs Super springer and Shetland Move
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 12:06:16 pm »

Hello Norry, Sorry Stavros a bit off topic.
All is well and good on the really bonnie Shetland isles. Aye this is the reason I was not at many of the Scottish events this year. We moved here in July and what with all the preparation of getting the house ready to sell then the commotion of the sale, packing and moving. Well something had to slip and sadly it was only after making a point of getting down to the Greenock MPBC  / Largs MBC Scottish tug- in that I managed to persuade SWMBO that I had to do that one if no other. Now to await the schedule of events for 2008 and see which one I can justify the expense of a long weekend away to. Probably manage something in June or August down the Largs way.
As I said in my last post if anyone has plans for making a suitable Schottel drive that isn't too noisy or comsumes power like no mans business then I for one would be happy to get a copy of the plan and attempt to make a Super Springer too.

cheers

Jim  O0
Visit www.paddleducks.co.uk & www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk for all your model boating needs!
See what life is all about www.visitshetland.com/sumburgh-airport-live-video This is the pace of life that the doctors prescribe, so laid back that you

Stavros

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 05:22:00 pm »

Hey what the heck we arel kelts O0

Stavros

Stavros

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2007, 06:23:39 pm »

Progress at last Hull has been filled and faired and had it's first coat of filler primer which was rubbed down with 400wet/dry,re coated with 3 coats of the same and guide coated with black satin ready for it's final rubdown with 800 grit paper.
The wheelhouse has also been painted this firstly having had 3 coats primer 900 wet/dry and painted with Plasticoat gloss white.And before anyone comments !!!! yes I usually use Halfords but hey come on it was on the shelf begging to be used

Stavros

norry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2007, 08:17:59 pm »

...Hey Stav...

As the Surrogate Mother of this here mighty fine vessel...Do I get an invite to the Launch...

...Best Regards...Norry...
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.