Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paint stripping  (Read 1953 times)

Stavros

Paint stripping
« on: December 03, 2007, 09:48:44 pm »

There are as allways more than one way to do things so let me put the record straight on this one

WOOD

On wood what you can use of course is the obvious one a hot air gun yes I know it's risky but if used correctly it works,bearing in mind that of course you have a few hazards manly FIRE,secondly what is the original paint? has it got lead?????
Seriously if using this method please ensure that you use in a well ventilated area,with a bucket of cold water nearby.
Secondly on wood you could of course use a paint stripper like Nitromors,WARNING if using this or any chemical stripper wear suitable eye protection,after stripping make sure you follow the makers ins with regards to washing off the residue and disposing of accordingly.
Another method of course is hard labour with starting off with 120 grit to get down to bare hull then going up through the grades to 600 and priming etc See other threads for that info.
Modelstrip is available from most good model shops which is a chemical stripper which is also v good

GRP or Fiberglass

Yet again a chemical stripper can be used but NOT NITROMOUS,there are plenty of different strippers available for GRP these can be obtained from Yacht Chandler's or even a Motor factor like Brown Bros.
You will not that I don't advocate NITROMOUS fro Grp simple reason why it will attack the GRP so DON'T USE IT
Model strip yet again excellent
Hard labour, of course yet again, allways a good one
Hot Air gun NO WAY reason why not ,simple get the GRP too hot and you will soften and take large chunks out of it

Plastic Hulls

Two ways to this type Modelstrip of hard labour the choice is yours

Brass,white metal steel Ali and other metals

Nitromours or any other stripper but try small piece first

I do not advocate using any other method eg bake fluid ???etc to strip Hulls parts etc other's might reccomend using other products but as I have had over 25 yrs in the trade painting cars etc I will only tell you what is the CORRECT way of doing things to obtain a good finish prior to painting a boat.Still don't believe me then pm Tug Kenny and he will tell you what I told him to do ,did it work well ask him.

Stavros

any questions pm me

DISCLAMER

I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSABLE FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED TO ANY HULL,PART,FITTING ETC THAT IS DAMAGED THROUGH USING PRODUCTS THAT I HAVE SUGGESTED.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 19 queries.