Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: RTTL Vosper  (Read 22497 times)

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
RTTL Vosper
« on: December 06, 2007, 10:40:48 am »

:angel:Hi everyone,
as I was a good lad this past year, the Birthday fairy gave me a RTTL Vosper kit.
I had told my partner I'd like this and since the tragic demise of the Airfix lifeboat ( no thanks to the cat!)
and this seemed to fit the bill as my current Bismarck build has a fittings launch sometime in latter next year.
So having never done a kit of this calibre I started.
Luckily, there had been a kit review by Terry Small in Modelboats a few months ago. So armed with the plans, instructions and kit set out.
I started having some issues with the instructions, ie. claritry of drawings, both plans and instructions, typos in the instructions and illustrations of mouldings.
I approached Modelslipways and they said it was not a kit for beginners and spoke to me via email in a business like fashion, as they do. Not wanting to be dismayed I plunged on rereading and rereading, driving the missus nuts, oh and threw the cat out.
Sooo... I still have concerns about the mouldings, the following photos illustrates my concerns.
The first photo shows the mould for the superstructure I received.
This I cut as per instructions, photo 2and 3.
And yet, mine looks different from the photo from the article, photo 3.
There is a ridge around the base of my moulding , but not Terry's
Anyone doing this kit that would want to inform me clearly what I am suppose to do with this, as there is trim to fgo around the perimeter and I do not want to take too much off.
It has always been my understanding that the customer keeps your livelihood, and should be treated with the utmost respect, ergo, you keep their custom.
Lovely day isn't it
REM 

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
Re: RTTL Vosper
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 10:50:23 am »

oops
this is photo from article  :D

banjo

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 10:54:12 am »

I have not made this kit myself but corrugations on the moulding are usually there to help stiffen it.
I think.
 :)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 11:46:07 am »

Can't exactly see your problem Robert. As long as you cut tight to the edge that meets the deck. Lleave a 2mm lip to rear, side and back where you cut out at the rear of the superstructure and also a 2mm lip on the windbreak moulding you should be fine. If in doubt do the same as Terry Small in Model Boats.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 01:10:01 pm »

Hi richard, if you look closely at my moulding and compare it to terry's and the illustrated one, there is a raised kind of ridge up about 1/4 inch all round the bottom, I compared this piece with the plans and if I sand this ridge away the piece will be short and if I leave it and attach the 3mmx6mm trim around the bottom as per plans it will stick out like a sore thumb, ouch, darn hammer. just one of those things that mak you go hmm. ???

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 01:22:46 pm »

Hi Robert
Leave the raised moulding around the bottom it is supposed to be there. The strip you attach is 6mm high but looking at the photo it is more like 1mm thick not 3mm, it might even be 0.5mm, I cant tell as I do not have the instructions or drawing just the magazine.

O0

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 01:25:56 pm »

O0 an answer that I can take to the bank
thanks mate

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 01:32:25 pm »

Robert have you checked the height of the superstructure with the raised moulding left on with the height on the drawing ? :-\

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 10:55:14 pm »

yes I did Richard and there was not much leeway for sanding, anyway read pm. talk soon yeah, oh by the way sorry for putting thread inwrong spot.
REM

titoneri

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 01:30:52 pm »

Rem

Having built this kit and sailed very well I can deduce from my read so far that reading the instruction as well as looking at the plans and many diagrams is not your best method of doing things, what has been for many a very straight forward build. MODERATED

Model Slipway have always been very helpful, supportive and polite, email or otherwise MODERATED

Build it for what it is to the required instructions and not what you think, that way it might just go together. I guess you will be fitting a decaperm motor, 6 volt or 12 volt.    >>:-(

When you get to the fitting of radio gear that should start another chapter in your build. Look forward to that saga?.

Sorry to be so harsh but it all worked for many.

MODERATED

The comments in the posting are uncalled for, REM was asking for help not insults.

Brian

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 02:20:24 pm »

Well titoneri that was really helpful.
Robert is obviously new to this and can obviously do with some real help and I dont think you taking the p*ss out of him is what is needed.
It's people with your attitude that drives newcomers away from this hobby which is not what we need at all. >:(

titoneri

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 02:49:48 pm »

I agree.

I applogise but sometimes to get someone to do things correctly thus grasp the nettle you have to be firm.

The model builds well and the instructions are very accurate, even the reviewer from what I can see has followed the instructions.

If rem is new then with the information gathered it should be straight forward.

My statement about the motor may not be accurate although modellers do do funny things at times.

In my experiance if the modeller is asked to cut a straight clean line with the use of a ruler, 30% do it without a ruler or straight edge then turn around and say it does not fit very well and blame the instruction.

If it sates fitting is a push fit why do they use a hammer or pliers.

When fitting a speed controller do not swap or cross over the red and black wires on the wrong battery terminals oh dear I smell smoke... thats not a very good speed controller???

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 10:57:29 pm »

well, hopefully one day I shall reach the dizzying height of a petty officer on here but until that time I shall follow the instructions.
I have not had the opportunity to get on in the past few days as there's been a death in my immediate family.
the joy i get from working on kits, and sometimes the frustration, allows me to use the few grey cells I have left.
I find alot of useful information on here, which guides me toward producing better kits.
I don't have a boat in the water yet. but hopefully come spring time, a fairly good representation of this kit will be floating.
cheers mates
robert

Powered Boat Mouldings

• Full Mayhemer
    • PBM + HSL Mouldings
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 11:43:36 am »

Hi Robert
             The ridge on lower part of the moulding is some times added for the moulding process. This is done to prevent webbing occurring in the corners of the mould. As DickyD Stated recheck the overall height of the mould against the plans and adjust accordingly.

Regards Rob

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2007, 07:58:10 pm »

hi rob
thanks for that info, think I have this moulding part sussed, I have only built plastic kits befor taking up hobby again this year. I am also doing the hachette build of bismarck, which is plank-on-frame. the bismarck is going well as you can see by mr. potatohead surfing, that was sanding down first layer of palnking. the build is going well, but has a poor reputation I understand. I for one, have had no problems.
doing the rttl vosper was a birthday gift from the missus and am now proceeding ok...I have windows done and cut out, spray ails attached and preliminary rc install done. may check out the propulsion system over the holidays.
will post pics soon
robert

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 12:11:43 am »

O0burning the midnight oil again, hey wasn't there a band from austrailia called that! anyway here are the promise photo.
any constructive criticism would be gratefully accepted....note to self, must build stand.
robert

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2007, 10:50:47 am »

Looking good Robert  O0

djrobbo

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2007, 05:21:52 pm »

Hi robert...another robert here  O0...watching with interest as ive been looking at that kit for myself

its looking good O0

regards.....bob.

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 10:19:45 pm »

Hi all and happy new year. It's been a rather difficult few weeks around mine, as we lost our mother-in-law just before Christmas, but still managed the presents, tree and dinner for the kids. But getting back to the build this week and should have some photos next week, just about to do initial rc install and tub trials.
Hope all is well with everyone.
Robert  O0

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 12:17:54 am »

O0 well I got inspired this evening as I have done SFA lately, so here is how the superstructure looks sp far
and this is the esc from action, many thanks to Dave, which will be hopefully fitted for tub trials later this week.
PS our little guy won his footy match 26-0 on Sunday, shame the other side was from a bigger community than ours and they only had 6 lads, but still they played the whole match. I'm sure our side will have a disaster yet.

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2008, 12:19:46 am »

doh :D

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2008, 10:29:15 am »

Rem2007,

does your camera date need resetting or are you a time traveller?  :D

Good work by the way

Doug
Don't Assume Check

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2008, 12:35:18 pm »

thanks and I'm a time traveler, I must be to be living in such disparaging times as these

Powered Boat Mouldings

• Full Mayhemer
    • PBM + HSL Mouldings
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2008, 09:06:38 pm »

Hi Rob
         As stated elsewere looking good. What running gear are you planning to use? I suggest a speed 400 motor on 7.2volts, should be just right O0.

Regards Rob.

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2008, 09:18:57 pm »

hello namesake,
I'm going with th exact drive system as described in the build review in modelboats... november07, odd saying o7 anyway, using supplied motor from kit, a condor 10/2 esc supplied by ACTION and 7.2 battery pack supplied by the Component Shop, never been to Wales yet, sounds nice.
getting alot of guidance from the review and others here.....cheers for your suggestions
robert O0
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.