Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: MAKARA CLUB  (Read 273004 times)

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Sea Shall Not Have Them
Re: MAKARA CLUB
« Reply #250 on: February 19, 2008, 09:22:30 pm »

oh yes, going to have one nice shiny dashboard with lots of bling
Rubbin is Racin!

Blagmeister

« Reply #251 on: February 21, 2008, 12:28:39 am »

Glad you liked the tip Simon. Make sure you follow the instructions for the dials closely. I tried a different route and screwed it all up majorly. Make sure you usethe nail varnish. I tried modelling glue and it all went to bubbles!

MHZ USA also do some very nice grills and louvres in ally.

Which model figures did you use by the way? My son saw your boat at Kinbgsbury last Nov and thought they were great.

Cheers

Phil

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #252 on: February 21, 2008, 07:53:13 am »

Phil,

Raided the wife's nail varnish last night, so fingers crossed.

I bought the head and shoulders from Tony Ellis (Model Marine Supplies) and then chopped their heads off. Went on to the Red Bull website and found some ear defenders that came in a small Red Bull Helmets. And luckily enough they were scale size.

I think the quality of the helmets was probably the reason i won the concourse last year.

I have ordered the full figures from warehouse so hope to swap over the helmets again. Tried getting new ones via Red Bull but they don't list them any more. I will have to ask Bill to have a lookout when he goes up there next.

BW

Simon
Rubbin is Racin!

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #253 on: February 21, 2008, 08:04:32 pm »

What a twit I didn't log off >:( >:(. Still I'm back from my tour of the RAF Norfolk.  Thanks Simon for the info. Take some pic's so I can see what you have done. My engine dose have some flex on the mount, but may not be enough. Re the new engine, Have a look at ebay as there is all ways sellers in Hong Kong. They norm get the stuff over very quickly.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #254 on: February 21, 2008, 10:29:09 pm »

Hi Phil
20th July is good for me. Bill.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

Blagmeister

« Reply #255 on: February 22, 2008, 04:53:02 pm »

Can we have a show of hands for the 20th July?

As far as I can see at the mo, we potentially have the following from MBM
BigTee [who can even provide a rolling start with a pace boat if we need it!]
Bill
Pete
Al
Simon
Me
Damon

If you can come back with an "Aye" or "Nay" we can at least gauge the level of support.

Cheers!

Phil

Blagmeister

« Reply #256 on: February 22, 2008, 05:02:32 pm »

Fellas, I could do with picking your collective brains if poss.   I am nearing the end of fabrication on my boat [thankfully!] and it's getting to the point when I can start assembly, [which I reckon will only take a few hours].  However, I still have a few bits to source and as this is my first build of  any kind, I could do with some recommendations.

Firstly, which receiver battery pack make would you recommend and where to source from? I am going to be running a cheapy Futaba Attack 2ER and I need to run a 6v Rec. pack of some kind but which make come at a sensible price for power/duration levels?

Additionally, I am going to need a charger. Will I be likely to need to charge my pack between races in which case a 12v charger is favourite, or do you think I can get away with one charge per event? Whichever, which charger would you recommend and please bear in mind that it mustn't break the bank!

Finally, I was thinking of running a bag tank and so I got a 2litre tank from Nimrif when I bought the hull. It seems far too big for the job so first off, what size tank would you recommend for racing and am I going to need any special kit to fit the thing and refill it between heats? I reckon a 1litre tank should be able to fit between my stringers under the radio box, but will it be big enough for racing?

Sorry about the Spanish Inquisition but I am a n00b when it comes to model boats. Full size ones are no problem, but these things are a different ball of wax!

Over to the cognoscenti.......

bigtee

« Reply #257 on: February 22, 2008, 06:05:29 pm »

phil good to here your on the last leg now , then get it in the water   :D

as for rx battery packs go for a " c" size pack with not less that 1200 ah rating they go up in capacity from there onwards but the 1200 will do a full days racing ( well just the one race , after all its omra  ::) )
good place to get them is http://www.modelpower.co.uk/ you will also find charges on there as well ( i have a good one that i will sell if you are interested  ;) )
fuel tank size will  depend on how you run your engine and boat , with my race engine and a 30 min heat 2 lts will just about do  :o
if you go for the plastic type 1200 /1500 mls will be more that enough ( make sure you get the correct bung for gas )
there are quick fill set up and i do have them on some hulls but i have damaged an engine due to an air leek on the seal making the engine run very lea >:(n  the best and most simple way is to fit a tee inline between the carb and the tank . cap the tee part off and use this to refill , but dont worry abut having to refill between heats as you only get one race per day  ;D

hope this helps

tony

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #258 on: February 22, 2008, 06:46:58 pm »

POWER SUPPLY O0
I have used at 6v 1300 maH  jelly acid cell from Maplins. Aprox £5.00. You do have to buy a charger ,which again they sell. However It is a mains wallwart type for a slow over night charge. I have got two to make up 12 volts in my Makara to run some fans and dash board lights. I am planing on putting a CCTV on as well very soon.

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #259 on: February 22, 2008, 06:55:55 pm »

Phil,

Aye in the fist instance for Damon and me.

I run a battery pack from Model power NIMH so no memory and go for the type that holds it charge if left for a while. Think they are about £13. You can use your standard transmitter charger but it will take a long time to charge. Work it out with the amps etc. I have got a fast charger from Ripmax, cheap and cheerfull.

A also run a solid tank, 1500cl but they do 1200, 1000 etc. Again cheap from Ripmax or your local Hobby Stores, again about £12-£13.

If you want to give Vic a ring he can post you one, just say you want one the same as mine? 0208-804-7452/07966-273231

BW

Simon
Rubbin is Racin!

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #260 on: February 22, 2008, 07:30:04 pm »

Aye from Bill for July 20th :D

omra85

« Reply #261 on: February 22, 2008, 09:17:55 pm »

Phil
You're only using two servos so even if your rudder one is very high powered you won't need a huge power supply.
I run three servos (incl mixture) with AAA size NmH of 1500mA which usually last a weekend event (no comments about me only doing 5 minutes of a half hour race!!).  I would suggest that, as weight is not a major issue in 'D' class, you go for AA size. Model Power do a pack - "6.0 Volt 2400mAh ModelPower NiMh AA House Style Receiver Pack" - for £9.95 which would probably last you a week!  I charge mine from the cheapo Futaba charger which, at 45 mA takes ... er .... oh, almost exactly 2 days  ::) ::)
I've no idea about tanks so I'll leave that to the experts!  Unlike glow engines, I've heard that a sparkie will run for 24 hours on a thimbleful of 2 star - never tried it, but obviously it must be true - and probably at 250 miles per hour as well {-) {-)

Not long until it's time to press the 'GO' button!

Danny

Stavros

« Reply #262 on: February 22, 2008, 09:27:49 pm »

If you are after batts you wont find cheaper than Component shop 6v2400mah £5.35 I get 5hrs sailing a 10R yacht with a sail winch and rudder so no probs at all wiht what you are using it for and yes you did read right £5.35,£4.60 cheaper

http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/small_packs.html

Stavros

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #263 on: February 24, 2008, 06:46:11 pm »

Hi Tony. Got your bits you wanted from Syd's collection.    When and where will we meet up?

Blagmeister

« Reply #264 on: February 25, 2008, 12:11:16 pm »

Thank you all of you who replied to my queries the other day. Your advice has been most helpful.  Off to buy some batteries now!  O0

Just in case you hadn't seen these before, and by way of gratitude, here are a few clips of full size Makaras [Apaches] really going for it.  Some of the footage is absolutely awesome. They really do get some big air!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpj_NYNDKgs   - Big Spinout in this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_6vdTEChas - Mini documentary about team Apache

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cSR2Hay6uc&feature=related - Shame about the music!

Some of you might also like a copy of my desktop wallpaper. See attached.

I'd really like to make a replica Warpath next and install it with twin outdrives and either a Zen 230 twin [to keep it Omra eligible] using the Bonzi twin as a base and going for the 230 block and piston. MHZ do a load of really nice shiny bits and they also do a 60" Apache Hull..... :o Now all I have to decide is which Petrol station to rob to fund it!

My bilge paint arrived this morning so I have been and painted out the engine bay in nice shiny black which will hopefully look the part against the ally brackets and black radio box.  The bilge paint is water, oil and fuel resistant so it will hopefully keep the bay in good nick.  Can't wait for it to dry so I can start final assembly!  Andy P said last week that he should hopefully be sending off my exhaust today so I might even manage to get some testing in this weekend!!! WOOHOO!  :D

Cheers

Phil

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #265 on: February 25, 2008, 06:07:20 pm »

Phil,

When i saw Andy P Saturday he was finishing your manifold and he had the cones and all ready so i am sure it will be with you this week.

I fancied making a true relica Warpath with twin Z drives and twin 23's.

The costs have put me off though, dont worry about the fuel, have you priced up the kit needed, two of everything?

No real power or speed advantage but would look cool.

Dont race it if you want to keep a very expensive paint job though!

If that bladder bag is surplas i will take it off your hands?

When i painted mine out on the inside i wish i had added a coloured gell coat to the epoxy, that way when you want to add or restick bits you dont have to grind all that new paint off, hopefully you will not go through the pain i did last year.

Regards

Simon
Rubbin is Racin!

Blagmeister

« Reply #266 on: February 25, 2008, 06:34:42 pm »

Hi Simon

Thanks for the heads-up on the pipe. I hope Andy does manage to get it to me this week as I am planning on doing the maiden run this Sunday!

The 2L bag tank I will use for racing as I can still use the tank although I won't fill it completely unless conditions dictate so.  I am going to use a smaller tank for testing.  Hopefully it will fit under my radio box between the box and the shaft.

Yes, the Warpath replica is very tempting but I can't see much change out of about £1500 to do it properly.  Still we can dream can't we!?

I thought about adding a colourative to the resin on the engine bay but thought better of it at the death as it would have held me up even longer while I sourced one suitable. I dont' mind grindng a bit of paint of if necessary. I can soon touch it up again!

Incidentally, are you running a nylon bush between your drive dog and strut, or have you just allowed for a slight gap to allow for torque takeup in the flexi?  I am having the devil's own job in finding an RC supplier that lists them!  I dare say I could mince down to the local hardware store and see if he has any nylon 3/16 ID washers but I want to make sure I get the right sort.  My drive dog also seems bl**dy tight to get on the shaft too. did you have to drift yours on before tightening up the set screw?  It may be that my shaft has a couple of burrs which are making the process a little sticky but when in doubt, a large hammer should prevail! Let me know before I embark on the less than subtle solution!! :D

Cheers

Phil

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #267 on: February 25, 2008, 06:44:19 pm »

Phil,

I wish i was running a bush! I managed to snap another shaft on Saturday, did not leave enough of a gap and the dog buried itself in the strut and then the shaft snapped!

Live an learn!

I dont normally bother, just leave a gap between 6 and 10 mm, if the shaft touches it will chew a bit of nylon up. My dog was also tight, i put it in the lathe with a bit of emery and tidied it all up.

BW

Simon
Rubbin is Racin!

omra85

« Reply #268 on: February 25, 2008, 07:35:10 pm »

Phil/Simon
I know your engines are putting out some mean power but there must be something wrong somewhere to keep getting wound up flexis. The "twist" in a 1/4" shaft of 12 - 15" length should be no more than 3-4mm max otherwise it's going to distort (and break). If its shortening more than 5mm, I would suspect something wrong with the flexi manufacture or material.
You can (and should) use a PTFE thrust washer to avoid metal/metal contact between the dog and shaft end.  You can get them from Bernard Holder (phone no in OMRA newsletter) or Mark Copley
http://www.mcopracing.co.uk/16253.html  (they are under drive dogs).
Give the boat a SHORT run and check for wearof the PTFE, if there is any significant amount the inner needs easing back.  Set is so that you are just getting contact then leave an extra mm gap.
If you want ultimate speed - use radial thrust washers from SMB (Sub Miniature Bearings).

BW
Danny

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #269 on: February 25, 2008, 09:39:56 pm »

Hi. Saturday was not kind to us Mad Makara man.  Simon's drive shaft, Mine rolled over on the turn , Wet radio, Wet engine, Water in the fuel tank. Oh yes Wet trollys and boot's trying to get it back to shore. NOT ON OF MY BETTER DAYS :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :'( :'( >>:-( Still The radio has dryed out, The engine is now running, and my boots dryed out just in time to go back to work this morn.
Roll on next Sunday when I can do it all agian. I have taken the gell batterys out and gone back to AA cells to run the radio.
Martin. I am still trying to track down one of them ally lunch boxes to use as a radio box. The link you left seems to have sold out.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #270 on: February 26, 2008, 01:12:51 pm »

Sorry to hear about your problems but thats boating for yaa  ;D,yes they seem to have sold out maybe send them an email see if they plan on getting any more.As for your batterys for the rx get a 5 cell nimmh hump pack, no memory and hrs of runtime.I charge mine for an hr before i run to top it up and it lasts all afternoon.Simon i have to agree with Danny if you keep breaking flexis something is badly wrong i havent brok one yet in 2 yrs boating.I leave a 1/4 "gap between dog and strut hub,my strut has a brass hub i have a brass thrust washer too but it never touches the hub so its not even needed.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #271 on: February 26, 2008, 01:21:10 pm »

Bill they have them in stock now ill pm you a link.

ids987

« Reply #272 on: February 26, 2008, 03:50:34 pm »

I dare say I could mince down to the local hardware store and see if he has any nylon 3/16 ID washers but I want to make sure I get the right sort.

Phil,

Do you mean your flexishaft is 3/16" ?

Ian

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #273 on: February 26, 2008, 05:26:34 pm »

if you use 3/16 instead of 1/4" your asking for trouble if your running a gas motor ???.

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #274 on: February 29, 2008, 06:52:22 pm »

Hello Mad Makara Men.
Did or big day out ever get settled on a date???.  :) :)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.