Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: MAKARA CLUB  (Read 272971 times)

omra85

Re: MAKARA CLUB
« Reply #325 on: April 15, 2008, 10:22:07 pm »

Dicky
Have a look at the photo of Phil's lad Cameron in the OMRA photo gallery and all will be explained  {-) {-)
Danny

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #326 on: April 15, 2008, 10:26:39 pm »

Hi Danny
I got hold of Stewart & found out I was in jouti place for 3rd. The count back put me in 4th. Not bad for it's 1st race.  O0 66 laps in all is my best so far, so I am very happy with that.
How are your boat?
See you at Stevenage.
PS looking forwards to getting into OMRA web site real soon.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

Blagmeister

« Reply #327 on: April 15, 2008, 10:37:50 pm »

Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings Danny!!!

Great pic! Cam will be chuffed to bits when I show him in the morning!

PMd you BTW...

Cheers

Phil

ids987

« Reply #328 on: April 16, 2008, 01:15:28 pm »

Hi Danny
I got hold of Stewart & found out I was in jouti place for 3rd. The count back put me in 4th. Not bad for it's 1st race.  O0 66 laps in all is my best so far, so I am very happy with that.
How are your boat?
See you at Stevenage.
PS looking forwards to getting into OMRA web site real soon.

If you want to see the Bristol results and the photos page, I reckon these links should work for you.

http://omra-uk.org/resultsAAD08_bristol.htm

http://omra-uk.org/photo_gallery.htm

Top of "D" class was very close - only five laps between first and fifth....

Ian

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #329 on: April 16, 2008, 01:32:58 pm »

Have a look at the photo of Phil's lad Cameron in the OMRA photo gallery..
Would love to Danny but with Firefox at home and work I STILL can't navigate the site  >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( yep I'm going to keep nagging  ;) ;)!!!!!!

The direct links in work, some nice looking boats there O0

ids987

« Reply #330 on: April 16, 2008, 03:17:55 pm »

Have a look at the photo of Phil's lad Cameron in the OMRA photo gallery..
Would love to Danny but with Firefox at home and work I STILL can't navigate the site  >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( yep I'm going to keep nagging  ;) ;)!!!!!!

The direct links in work, some nice looking boats there O0

Ian,

The photo Danny mentioned is on the photos page in the second link - third row, far right....

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #331 on: April 16, 2008, 06:08:56 pm »

Hi Ian How's the engine rebuilding going? Will you get something running for Stevenage?
Thanks for the link. It was very close in the D class race.  Anyway we still had a good day out, didn't we? O0
How's the Stevenage booking going. HINT HINT. If any one is thinking of comming to Stevenage on the 4th May . BOOK IN PLEASE.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

Blagmeister

« Reply #332 on: April 16, 2008, 06:25:14 pm »

Booked in already Bill [at least Ian has got my details......] All I have to do now is get my boat back into racing fettle! :O

Cheers

Phil

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #333 on: April 17, 2008, 08:23:32 am »

Dicky
Have a look at the photo of Phil's lad Cameron in the OMRA photo gallery and all will be explained  {-) {-)
Danny

Love to Danny, still can't get on it. >>:-( >>:-(
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Stavros

« Reply #334 on: April 17, 2008, 10:06:51 am »

Been on it and cant find no piccie of Cameron

Stavros

Blagmeister

« Reply #335 on: April 17, 2008, 10:20:05 am »

http://omra-uk.org/CameronDanny.JPG

There you go Gents.  O0

As you can see, Cam was wholly to blame for Danny's collision with the dock, [never listen to smart-mouthed kids.....] and if I wasn't feeling so magnanimous towards my son, I'd blame him for the crash I had with another boat too!!! {-)

Cheers!

Phil

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #336 on: April 17, 2008, 10:36:24 am »

Really Danny, blaming a nice kid like that for finishing in your usual position. Should be ashamed of yourself.

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #337 on: April 17, 2008, 11:49:20 am »

Hi Phil
Has Camaron worked out how to make baby Toyota's yet?? O0 O0

ids987

« Reply #338 on: April 17, 2008, 01:48:14 pm »

Hi Ian How's the engine rebuilding going? Will you get something running for Stevenage?
Thanks for the link. It was very close in the D class race.  Anyway we still had a good day out, didn't we? O0
How's the Stevenage booking going. HINT HINT. If any one is thinking of comming to Stevenage on the 4th May . BOOK IN PLEASE.

Hi Bill,

Just been trying to produce a head button for a RB Concepts engine I've had hanging around for ages. It came with a one-piece heatsink and head button, so I had to hack the top off - then face turn it flat. Hopefully the water jacket from the Novarossi I ran on Sunday should fit. They're Novarossi based, but unfortunately the RB is a short-stroke, and the Nova's a long stroke, so the bore is different (ie the button from the Novarossi won't fit the RB engine). All being well, it should make a pretty decent AA class engine.

Started rebuilding what was my backup CMB .45. Finished rebuilding and trueing the crank, which is probably the most time consuming job. Need to change the bearings and put back together with a new piston and liner. The next most time consuming job is putting the "C" clip back in the piston - through the exhaust port. Definitely a job for a gynaecologist on the .45. That particular engine trashed the piston and liner when the "C" clip came out at full speed. I haven't had much luck with CMB .45s so far....

My Makara turned up yesterday. Don't think I'll have it ready for Stevenage though.

Ian

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #339 on: April 17, 2008, 03:58:25 pm »

Welcome to the Mad Makara Men club Ian. All you need is a Zen to go in it now.  I have one that needs a new head and carb on it.

Blagmeister

« Reply #340 on: April 17, 2008, 04:31:40 pm »

Hi Ian - it might be well worth doing what Bill suggested to me on Sunday to your Makara hull before you go fitting it out.  You'll probably have noticed that the layup is really quite thin and in places the hull is weak and flexes like mad, [as well as succumbing structurally to the ministrations of errant competitors set on torpedoing you!]. Bill suggested mixing up a load of liquid resin and sloshing it around the inside of the hull to give it another layer of thickness on the grp.  Wish I had thought of that before last weekend....

Even with full length 9mm stringers coated in glass plus a grp-sheathed solid wooden radio box, my hull is still too light, and it showed on Sunday in the rougher water.  A bit of extra layup won't do it any harm ;)

Glad you got one though!  Thats another nutcase to join the crew!

Incidentally, some good news back from OMRA regarding the Makara day out. Alan emailed me today and basically gave us OMRA's blessing and also stated that the OMRA insurance is open and covers us all the time, and not just on OMRA sanctioned events.  Robin Butler [KWPMBC Offhore Sec.] has kindly offered to pencil in the date in July for us in the Kingsbury calendar, so it looks like the day will be a runner at this point in time. I may need to firm up a few other issues such as whether or not we can get permission for a BBQ within the park boundary during public hours but leave it with me and I'll keep you all posted here.

Cheers!

Phil

ids987

« Reply #341 on: April 17, 2008, 05:05:26 pm »

Phil,

I'll be building mine for "C" Class, so it will be slightly different - no stringers for a start.
I'm debating whether to strengthen it or not. Resin on its own will make it more rigid, and heavier, but probably not much stronger. Polyester resin on its own is pretty weak, so another layer of layup would add a lot more strength. Or maybe mix chopped strands in with the resin, and paint it on.
If you do slosh the resin around, try to make sure it doesn't pool too much anywhere, or it will tend to get rather hot as it goes off.

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #342 on: April 17, 2008, 05:13:16 pm »

Hi Ian
Any more bookings For Stevenage?

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #343 on: April 17, 2008, 05:34:26 pm »

Get some matting and use epoxy and  that will strengthen it no end,epoxy will cure on poly no problem and its way stronger too!!.To be honest i dont know how they get away with laying those hulls so thin  ::),you could get an aeromarine appache for not much more and know your getting quality sorry to bang on but thats my honest opinion  ;).Phil told ya insurance is insurance  O0!!
Mart

Blagmeister

« Reply #344 on: April 17, 2008, 05:57:06 pm »

.Phil told ya insurance is insurance  O0!!
Mart

Indeed it is Mart however, KWPMBC quite rightly raised the issue of having more than one insurance for potentially the same event which is not permissible under UK law. They simply wanted clarification that the OMRA insurance would be suitable for this event which gladly, it is.  It's always best to be belt and braces in all things which have a potentially legal connotation in my book.

Cheers!

Phil

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #345 on: April 17, 2008, 06:43:40 pm »

Yea your completeley right mate just having a little fun  ;D,gets me in trouble sometimes  ::).
Mart

ids987

« Reply #346 on: April 17, 2008, 08:19:59 pm »

Mart,

The Makara is about the same size as the Giant Apache. Even a UK made Giant Apache will set you back about £170 these days. The "real" Aeromarine ones are about that in US dollars - Plus god knows how much shipping from the US, then UK duty. The finish of the Makara is definitely not the best I've seen, and I'd say the mould has a few cracks now, but it is very cheap for its size, and most of them seem to work pretty well.
I'm with you on epoxy though. I've used it on polyester hulls with success.

Bill,

Apart from those who gave me entries at Bristol, one more this week so far...

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #347 on: April 17, 2008, 09:47:55 pm »

You can pick up an aeromarine one cheap and even with shipping still be reasonably pleased with it,duty whats that never had to pay any on anything  {-),mind you most of my stuff was sent as a gift  :).My mate bought an aeromarine hull not long ago and was still as cheap as his cat he sent back to you know who even with shipping and guess what the boats awesome quallity wise.Not sure if anyone this side of the pond has the aeromarine hulls in stock.?
Mart

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #348 on: April 18, 2008, 05:12:01 pm »

The finish of the Makara is definitely not the best I've seen, and I'd say the mould has a few cracks now, but it is very cheap for its size

By the time you've strengthened it and so on, is it still as cheap?

Just as an aside, has anyone tried the Prestwich Miami 55 (£159) that's a good price and Daves quality is good on his other hulls.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #349 on: April 18, 2008, 05:18:38 pm »

The finish of the Makara is definitely not the best I've seen, and I'd say the mould has a few cracks now, but it is very cheap for its size

By the time you've strengthened it and so on, is it still as cheap?

Just as an aside, has anyone tried the Prestwich Miami 55 (£159) that's a good price and Daves quality is good on his other hulls.
Ian i wasnt sure about mentioning the miami as i didnt know if Dave made it or not but that said ive heard its a nice hull,also he is now selling apaches i believe 56" ones not sure whos they are but they arent on his site yet but Brod got one la cpl of weeks ago and it flies with the zen 7.heres a vid.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1820377
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.