Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: COMPUTER CRASH ;-)  (Read 2903 times)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
COMPUTER CRASH ;-)
« on: December 10, 2007, 08:21:05 pm »

John
There are ways to rescue your computer. The lost files CAN be retrieved. I have a friend in the Police forces cyber division and he informs me that even if the disk is overwritten many times, they can still dig in to a depth of 20 overwrites, so nothing is ever erased on a computer. Frightening stuff, isn't it ?.  You must smash the hard drive when you scrap one.

Cheers...Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

kiteman1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
COMPUTER CRASH ;-)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 04:09:29 pm »

Hi Bluebird.

If you have Windows XP have you tried to restore your computer to a previous date?

I also have a programme called 'Dont Panic' which can retrieve lost images although I'm not sure about Spyware/virus problems.  I'm sure that PC World could point you in the right direction.

Best of luck!!..........

RipSlider

COMPUTER CRASH ;-)
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 07:37:14 pm »

PLEASE don't go to PC World....

Fastest way to loose all your data.

I have a piece of code that will do the job, which I have PM'd you about.

If you want a well trusted, commercial solution, use SpinRite. I think Version 4 is free.

Steve

slewis

COMPUTER CRASH ;-)
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 10:23:22 pm »

I have a piece of code that will do the job, which I have PM'd you about.

I wouldnt mind a go at that if its possible as I 13 months ago lost all of my brothers wedding pictures on this pc and apart from the printed few Thoseare all I /He has  :-\ .
I didnt realise that this sort ofthing was available , I always thought once it was gone it WAS gone !

Hope you can help

Shane

RipSlider

COMPUTER CRASH ;-)
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 11:04:33 pm »

Shane,

PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you the program and as much documentation as I got around to writing.

Basically, when you "delete" something of a hard disc, the 1's and 0's don't actually get wiped out, they just have a flag set next to them that says "ignore me" and will eventually get over written. Even if you've over written a few times, it is sometimes possible to recover the originals files.

However, after 13 months, you might be pushing it if you often install and delete files and data. If you "Really" want to recover something you've lost, the SpinRite program, especially SpinRite 6, is really good. But pretty expensive. However, depending on the data you've lost, it can often be worth it.

Steve

banjo

COMPUTER CRASH ;-)
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 11:08:14 pm »

If you use a de frag programme, such as Perfect Disc, will that mean that I got no chance of recovering deleted files?

RipSlider

COMPUTER CRASH ;-)
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 01:10:20 am »

It doesn't help, but it can still be done.

At the end of the day, it's just a whole load of maths being run against some 0's and 1's. As long as there are some orginal fragments in their original places, or near by, you can often rescue something.

A different question would be "Why use a defrag programme in the first place" If your using a half way modern computer, there is little if any need to use one.

Steve

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
COMPUTER CRASH ;-)
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 09:16:33 am »

hi there one and all

Thank you so much for the offers of kind help - when the computer crashed, I could do nothing with it -  I put the recovery discs in that came with the P.C. to restart it from the beginning.  Some of the information I have lost I have also stored on CD as well.   Its not as grim as I first thought.  I spoke to Martin (our leader) and he suggested one of the first things I did was open the P.C. up and clean it, which I have never done and I have had the computer now for 4 years.    It was thick of my sanding dust, in fact I found half a model inside there! I was wondering where that bit of the model had gone  :D :D

I am taking all your kind comments on board, I will let you know how I get along.   I must confess I am not too clever with computers!!!  I WILL BE BACK.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
Re: COMPUTER CRASH ;-)
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 02:32:24 pm »

Hi all,

As I have mentioned before, I am rubbish on a computer.
Some time ago I had a computer problem. When I got it back working, I had lost all my e mail addresses and favourite sites, of which I have a lot.
About three weeks after the repair, and regular use, all the email addresses and the favourite sites suddeny reappeared.  :-\

Bob

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 02:37:28 pm »

This has been on Mayhem for quite some time.......    ;D

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/Common/computers.htm
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 03:47:36 pm »

the problem I have with mine, my CD rom sometimes crashes the PC!
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.