Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: The Lady T  (Read 40615 times)

barryfoote

The Lady T
« on: December 26, 2007, 10:06:18 am »

Happy Christmas to me, happy Christmas to me......She has arrived at last. My Lady T from MMM arrived Boxing Day (No holiday in Spain) and delighted I am with the quality of the hull. No chance of any work starting today but will keep you all posted once I get going. I will need mucho advise as I go along so standby to get mithered.

All the best to you all,

A very happy  Barry

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The Lady T
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 11:01:21 am »

Hoooray.  Very pleased for you, Barry.

Never has something been SO desired. We know how you feel.

Happy new Year to you and yours

Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

barryfoote

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 03:33:01 pm »

Thanks Kenny and how right you are.

Barry

barryfoote

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 04:54:50 pm »

Got started today. First thing was to make a building cradle which I did using a quarter inch ply and some felt. Then I set about cutting holes in the hull. This I hope to finish in the morning before thinking about the running gear.

Tom Eccles

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 06:37:32 pm »

Congratulations Barry on your new arrival :)

I am not familiar with this kit, is it single prop?
What sort of motor do you intend installing?
Lastly (for now) what sort of dimensions has she?

Regards
Clegg

barryfoote

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 07:12:42 pm »

Hi Clegg.

Lady T is 34.5 inches in length. 9 inch beam and runs twin motors, both of which are MMM's 12 volt T4A's. Multi-poled - Hi Torque - Low Rev. I did consider just using one motor but Bryan at MMM recommended sticking to two for various reasons including cost.

Speak again soon,

Barry

Tom Eccles

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 07:28:19 pm »

I am not quite sure i understood that bit Barry. Are the motors 2 for the price of less than 1?

I am sure there is a simple reason for it, I just cannot see it. A glance at my previous postings on any subject should be enough to convince you that I am remarkably stupid!

Best regards and best wishes for a successful build

Clegg

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 10:24:26 pm »

If he had single screw it would have meant a T12 I think, they are £42.00. Two T4 should run that boat well, I used to like the bosch motors Bryan sold, looking for a spare one to convert my Nangee to twin screw.
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

barryfoote

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 08:10:52 am »

Andy. You are spot on. The T 12 is very expensive and as you say two T4's should do the job very well.

My fault Clegg. Didn't explain myself too well there...Too much Vino Tinto I think.

Barry

barryfoote

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 05:37:23 pm »

okay guys,
A couple of days in and I need some good advise from you experts out there. As you can see I now have the prop shafts and A frames in place and am beginning to think ahead to radio and other electrics needed for her. I want her to run on the two motors (both 12 volt T4's from MMM), with steam engine sound, ships whistle, smoke generator and working lihts. Given that I can have the lights working on a simple on off switch, can you lot give me some advise on the following please.
1. Which 4 channel radio (Given the budget aint high) ? and if anyone has a spare one going cheap let me know.
2. How best to control the motors, be it independently or seperately and if so what kit I should buy? and from whom? I believe you can buy a mixer that operates the motors in unison with the single rudder but I have no knowledge of this.
3. Which sound generators to go for ? and which smoke generator and from where?

I think that will do for now and I think I should get this kit sooner rather than later so I can plan and install it all before the major construction work starts. (Correct me if I am wrong).

Sorry about all this. It sounds alot all at once but I don't want to get it wrong at this early stage.

Thanks fellas, in anticipation.....

Barry

Stavros

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 06:12:37 pm »

Right don't panic Mr Mannering help is at hand 

1  Regarding Radio gear I wold highly reccomend Futaba you should be able to pick up a 4or 6 channel set on ebay for under £100
2  As regards your motor set up you can go a couple of ways,one is to contact Action(FLJ on here)very nice man he is as well who will  sell you a pair of speed controllers and a motor mixer,or you can but Mtronics or electronise speed controllers and get mixer off Ebay from captbarry(got 2 of his and they are spot on)Either of these set ups will enable you to control the 2 motors from a single stick on your tranny and also it will allow you to turn th ship round on the spot as a mixer will speed up one motor going fwd and the other motor will work in reverse,thus allowing it to turn around.
3  Hang fire on both the sound genny and smoke system at the moment as Both Action and pakirk on this forum are both developing units time will tell.Unfortunately JJC seem to be no more and they were the market leader so to speak,Graupener do a 6and 12v smoke genny but it works on oil and apparently is v messy,cant comment haven't got one.

Stavros

barryfoote

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 06:23:56 pm »

Right don't panic Mr Mannerign help is at hand 

1  Regarding Radio gear I wold highly reccomend Futaba you should be able to pick up a 4or 6 channel set on ebay for under £100
2  As regards your motor set up you can go a couple of ways,one is to contact Action(FLJ on here)very nice man he is as well who will  sell you a pair of speed controllers and a motor mixer,or you can but Mtronics or electronise speed controllers and get mixer off Ebay from captbarry(got 2 of his and they are spot on)Either of these set ups will enable you to control the 2 motors from a single stick on your tranny and also it will allow you to turn th ship round on the spot as a mixer will speed up one motor going fwd and the other motor will work in reverse,thus allowing it to turn around.
3  Hang fire on both the sound genny and smoke system at the moment as Both Action and pakirk on this forum are both developing units time will tell.Unfortunately JJC seem to be no more and they were the market leader so to speak,Graupener do a 6and 12v smoke genny but it works on oil and apparently is v messy,cant comment haven't got one.

Stavros
Stavros,
Many thanks.
 I like the idea of one stick control and will happily hang fire on the sound and smoke as all together I have found it becomes very expensive. I have a Graupner 6volt smoker in my Talacre and yes it is messy and down here the oil is not easy to get hold off, plus it was very difficult to install.

Tom Eccles

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 07:49:32 pm »

Hi Footski,

Although a huge fan of ACTion (Dave is VERY patient with a fool like me) and I am fitting out my Cruiser with all ACTion electrics (check out the distribution board!) I also have a Yorkshireman which was my first build. The Yorkie is fitted with twin Viper E.S.Cs and a viper mixer all controlled from a 2 channel Tx.
My Cruiser has many more bells and whistles, all of which are run from a 4 channel Futaba. ACTion supply some very nice switcher units which will allow you to do all sorts of things.

Good luck

Clegg

barryfoote

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 04:14:06 pm »

Thanks Clegg,

Okay got a bit more done. I have now mounted both motors as seen in the photos. I used a Spanish equivelant of a P38 compound which has worked well. That, with the rubber band configuration holds both motors in place. a test of the motors shows all to be well at this stage.

Barry

footskijunior

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 05:12:50 pm »

Hello CPO Footski,
Doesn't look like a bad start for the Lady T, nice form on her hull, should handle well. I'd still go for indpendent prop controls though, as she would have has them originally on her brass telegraphs!

barryfoote

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 06:36:10 pm »

Thanks Junior.....Keep an eye on the thread as more will follow

Senior

barryfoote

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 10:51:19 am »

Deck supprts being epoxied into place.

barryfoote

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 04:21:02 pm »

Right chaps,

Sorry not much has happened lately but I have only today recieved the Template Pack from MMM. I am now hoping to make some real progress and wil keep you posted.

Barry

barryfoote

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 04:24:18 pm »

Stavros,

I took your advise and have ordered a FUTABA 4EX-FM STICK RADIO 40MHz 4-CHANNEL with SERVOS X3. Should be here any day I hope.

Manxman

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 06:59:32 pm »

Hi Barry,

I agree with Stavros, Give Action a ring or email, if you can wait a couple of months Dave (of Action) can go better than sell you 2 ESCs - he's bringing out a duel version complete with a mixer all in one little box and cheaper than buying separate.

Cheers - Ken

barryfoote

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 07:59:46 pm »

Thanks Ken,

Got to give a little secret away...but I trust your discretion. ...

I was aware of Action new piece of magic and will indeed be waiting for it to come out......Don't tell anyone though!!!!!

Barry

barryfoote

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 03:09:55 pm »

Right I have just finished work on her for the day. Fingers are sore now as I opted to line the bulwarks with car body filler. Bloody hell it takes some sanding down and I think another coat will be needed too...

barryfoote

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2008, 05:35:59 pm »

Finally finished sanding the bulwarks......but have got myself in a spot of bother. SWMBO was not pleased  >>:-( >>to find I had borrowed the cereal packets in order to cut the deck template, which is needed for exact positioning of deck supports.

I really feel I am making progress now and enjoying every minute of it.

barryfoote

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2008, 03:23:34 pm »

A few more photos of progress made. Deck supports are now fitted and I have cut out the ply decking which was very different from the template so I do advise anyone building an MMM model with the templates to use the cereal box first as a good guide.

I have also started the rudder assembly.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2008, 03:53:43 pm »

Nice and smooth surface for the Bulwarks, Barry. A lot of work there ? Well done

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.