Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: motor mounts  (Read 3998 times)

dan

motor mounts
« on: January 21, 2008, 07:17:01 pm »

hi, does any body have any ideas on how to build a basic motor mount that wont rattle to much once the motor is working

barryfoote

Re: motor mounts
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 07:31:34 pm »

Dan,

Look at my thread on The Lady T. It shows a simple system whereby you wrap your motor in cling film and press it down into a car body filler like P38. Let it dry and remove cling film. Perfect mount with no rattle. All you have to do is secure the motor with rubber bands as shown in the photos and ensure the P38 does not go above half way on the motor, or it will hold it in place so you cant get it out.

Any problems P me and I will send you detailed photos.

Barry

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 07:53:23 pm »

Hi ya there Dan

If you have a look on the topic 'Plan for Beginners' near the bottom of the first page, you will see how I constructed a quick motor mount from two pieces of triangular shaped wood.  I also used a piece of ply-wood and a bit of felt.  O0 O0

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 08:42:48 pm »

Simplest...

Put a large blob of silicone on the bottom of the boat, and press the motor into it.
My first boat held the motor that way for years.

Simple.. Epoxy a block of wood on the bottom of the hull and then the blob of silicone caulking.

Also simple.. epoxy a block of wood with two slots/notches across the bottom face, to the bottom of the boat. Once cured, slip some plastic zip ties through the slots, then zip tie the motor to the block.

Simple metal.
cut a square of metal and  drill two holes  near the bottom then  drill a hole higher up in the center that will clear the bearing of your motor can. Mark two holes for for screws to hold the motor to the metal plate.
Drill out these holes and verify that they match the mounting holes on the motor.
Put the bottom of the plate in a vice, and hammer and bend the plate so that the two bottom holes
can then be used to mount the plate to the bottom of your boat. A block of wood  with blind nuts set into the bottom and epoxied to the hull can be used as a mounting point for the motor mount.

I am sure only some of that made sense, but I am pretty sure these all work.

I have used each of  them over the years...  ;)

bigH

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 02:25:56 pm »

Hi Dan, Go to FLJ's site ACTion electronics, he does engine holders at a £1 each, just slip 'em on and screw 'um down .. DONE.

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 11:35:56 pm »

Following on from Umi's post...

A step by step guide (the engineered version)...  O0

If you know how to use a rule, hacksaw, file and a drill, this should be fairly easy

1/ I use 1/16" thick ali plate from the LHS for 550 size motors. This is easily bendable in the home vice and can make 4 / 5 mounts.
2/ Mark out the mount on your ali plate, CL's and hole positions.  I use a blunt modelling knife to mark out on the ali plate.
3/ Cut with the hacksaw. I always clean up the 'offcut' as it saves time when you come to make the next one.
4/ Drill holes to suit the motor. The mounting screws for a 550 size motor are generally 3mm by the way. I drill the centre hole smaller than required and file it out to suit. The bearing is 1/2" so allow for that.
5/ Make sure the motor fits and the holes line up to get the screws in BEFORE bending the plate
6/ Bend the plate to a right angle in the vice using a 'backing' plate to get the bend 'square'.
7/ Assemble mount and motor. I use 3mm cap screws from the LHS.

I use a wood block glued in the bottom of the hull and attach the motor mount with woodscrews for reasonably easy removal if needed.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 12:19:28 pm »

If you are not into metal-bashing there are some very nice ones from ebay(UK) for 4 quid, all sizes, pre-drilled, laser cut. heavy guage alloy.
..well can you land on this?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 12:29:13 pm »

If you are using 380 size motors then a piece of aluminium angle makes a good mount too:

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 11:32:49 pm »

Why not try self-adhesive foam rubber draught excluder with a bit of alloy wrapped over just to hold it down. Works a treat.
Notes from a simple seaman

dan

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 08:35:02 pm »

thanks for the help guys O0
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.