Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Halfords FastGlass  (Read 5539 times)

banjo

Halfords FastGlass
« on: February 13, 2008, 10:27:56 am »

Halfords FastGlass

Will this product, with the Fast Glass Matting, be suitable for "sealing" my springer?

Comments please....

TVM

O0

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Halfords FastGlass
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 11:07:41 am »

I've been using it for an underwater repair on my 1:1 scale boat so yes, it will be fine. It goes off quite quickly in a warm atmosphere so don't mix up too much at a time.

banjo

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 11:17:37 am »

Thanks Colin,

I hoped that this would be the answer.
It sounds just too convenient.  Mix it up, slap it on.......

Watch this space!

O0

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 11:52:24 am »

Mix it up, slap it on.......

That's it. The only thing that takes time is getting it off yourself afterwards!  ;)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 12:58:12 pm »

I use the stuff and think it is an excellent and convenient product.  The biggest concern though is the heat it generates while it cures, especially in a big volume.  It does actually get quite hot and the stuff you have left in the mixing pot will have to be put somewhere safe while it cures.  I used it to encase the steel ballast plates in the bottom of the steamer, which worked brilliantly but the hull got so hot you couldn't keep your hands against it!

I have also painted internal structures with it to protect from steam and moisture and it gives an excellent finish that will completely soak in and seal the wood.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 01:35:25 pm »

I have used it internally on my superspringer - did the job great.

You might want to get a lighter glass cloth than what is supplied if you are going to use it externally.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

banjo

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 01:45:11 pm »

O0
Thanks boys...

O0

Stavros

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 05:26:54 pm »

You can buy it in halfords without the matting but buy the tissue instead that is all you need

Stavros

banjo

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 05:38:23 pm »

O0

djrobbo

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 07:06:41 pm »

Cut down slightly on the amount of hardener you mix in..........it reduces the amount of heat produced and slows down the setting time a little

regards.......bob.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 08:59:04 pm »

I use the stuff and think it is an excellent and convenient product.  The biggest concern though is the heat it generates while it cures, especially in a big volume.  It does actually get quite hot and the stuff you have left in the mixing pot will have to be put somewhere safe while it cures.  I used it to encase the steel ballast plates in the bottom of the steamer, which worked brilliantly but the hull got so hot you couldn't keep your hands against it!

I have also painted internal structures with it to protect from steam and moisture and it gives an excellent finish that will completely soak in and seal the wood.
Out of context but: reading about the use of "alternative"  fuels for ships of the not too distant future, how do you feel about it , and how will it affect the fuel tanks? Pressurised tanks on a ship? Horrors.
Notes from a simple seaman

banjo

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 09:02:45 pm »

If my springer explodes then it will be a First.

I'll try not to loose too much sleep over it.

;D

PS go steal someones elses thread...... O0

banjo

Re: Halfords FastGlass GLOOM GLOOM
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 11:41:38 am »

Cut down slightly on the amount of hardener you mix in..........it reduces the amount of heat produced and slows down the setting time a little

regards.......bob.

:(
I think I over did the cutting down on the hardener!!!!

If I mix another batch, this time stronger, can I put it on over the still wet stuff????

Gloom Gloom

banjo

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 01:12:31 pm »

O0

New mix on top..done

now curing normally....

lots of cutting back tho'

Stavros

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 07:34:18 pm »

regards.......bob.

Sorry but you should NEVER NEVER cut down on the amount of hardener regardless of heat build up curing time etc.The manufacturer spend thousands,millions developing and researching a product to get the product spot on.You see lads if less hardener is used the physical properties of the product will be compromised,in other words loss of strength,OK OK I know it's only a model but hey so what.

banjo if you have got away with what you have done then count yourself lucky,BUT where you might have problems is when you come to rub it down,be very carefull that you dont go through onto the soft resin underneath your last coat could be messy.

Stavros

banjo

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 08:06:35 pm »

:'(

You are right of course...

The question is..will the soft stuff ever harden?

The outer coat is curing normally but as you say underneath then what...

I might take my Hot air blower/paint remover gizmo and blast the lot off..what do you think??

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 08:18:47 pm »

I'd give it a day or so and then check the first layer. If it's still soft then I think Stavros will recommend taking the lot off - a messy job! The way to slow the curing time is to lower the temperature, then it doesn't matter if you put a bit too much hardener on as it won't go off too quickly. The stuff I put on my 1:1 scale boat last week in the boatyard went off in about 35 minutes at 10 degrees C plus a blast with a hot air gun and I did use plenty of hardener.

banjo

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 08:22:35 pm »

Time will tell..your right Colin...I'll leave it till next week...plenty other stuff to do..

Thanks for the input..

O0

Stavros

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 09:18:22 pm »

Colin you are quite right, if in a few days if the first application has not gone off well sorry banjo off it comes, and what a messy job

Stavros

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2008, 09:51:37 pm »

last time i used fast glass i found that although it went off it stayed tacky what did i do wrong?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2008, 09:58:53 pm »

It isn't supposed to stay tacky but I think you could avoid this either by putting clingfilm over the surface to exclude the air as it cures or by subsequently spraying it with a Halfords primer or simillar which seems to have the effect of sealing the surface. Not sure why it works but it does seem to. As always, Stavros is the oracle!  O0

Stavros

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2008, 11:04:41 pm »

ministeve probably not enough hardener this is usually the case

Stavros

djrobbo

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2008, 04:16:27 pm »

Hi guys......the recomendation to cut down slightly on the hardener was to cut the normal amount down very slightly to stop excessive heat build up etc. obviously if you cut it down too much the dammed stuff doesn't go off.  The bondaglass system uses a paste activator the same as used in body filler ( p38 ) and the amount used can never really be measured that accurately . What it does is start a chemical reaction within the resin to set it , obviously too much activator will create a much more vigorous reaction causing more heat. I have been using this stuff for nearly 40 years and so far have not had any problems with the stuff not being hard enough or durable enough. I t all depends on where you are putting it as to whether the heat will affect anything.

as i said ....it works for me.....you gotta make your own mind up

regards......bob.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.