Masterclasses > Blue Marlin - Heavy lift semi submersible ship

Blue Marlin - Heavy lift semi submersible ship

(1/12) > >>

boatmadman:
Not sure where this should be - it going to be a semi submersible, so not a sub, but still a workboat. ;D

Anyway, here is the start of my latest attempt at shipmodelling.

The Blue Marlin was built for Dockwise. They sent me a lines diagram on an A4 sheet of paper for a 224m ship. With the help of a pantograph and plenty squinting I have made some progress.

This model is being built at 1:175 - odd scale I know, this makes it 1.28m x 0.36m so it should be relatively easy to move around.

The last 2 pics from wikipedia.

Ian

boatmadman:
Hi,
A little progress tonight, some more frames fitted, and started cutting out holes for tank balancing.

Ian

boatmadman:
I intend to coat with epoxy inside and out. Havent decided for sure yet, but I may do all the frames and tank dividers before starting planking.

Been doing more on the tankage, and trying to figure out where stuff will go - this is a bit of a headache!

Some more pics soon.

Ian

boatmadman:
Hi,

Well, been working away and thinking a lot. Got the tankage somewhere near how I think I need it.

However, I have realised that at this scale, there is only space for a 30mm prop. Now, my gut tells me that wont cope with this things weight and the fact it is flat bottomed with no keel, so, I have cut a new rear section of keel to allow for a prop up to 60mm, this will require some mods to the rear few frames, but so it goes.

The plus side is that this is now a free lance design!  O0

Ian

boatmadman:
Started planking today - it's gonna be a nightmare, lots of tight corners!

I am using a hot air blower to bend the planks this time - quick and easy, even get scorched fingers for my trouble!

Ian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version