Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brushless motors ???  (Read 6305 times)

RantandRave

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...don't get me started!
Brushless motors ???
« on: April 11, 2006, 01:53:26 am »

I Remember a thread on the old forum about Brushless motors, there was a lot of chat but has anyone actually used one in a model boat?
What were the results / conclusions?

Propshaft.

Gypo

• Shipmate
Re: Brushless motors ???
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 10:52:04 am »

I have started to use them alot for the faster side of boating  with some very good results what sort of thing are are you wanting to do ??

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 01:32:02 pm »

Propshaft, basicly you can say that the brushless technology has two major advantages. First of all they have an better ratio by power/deadweight and their effectivity is much better than the standard motors. Though they are o.K. for the fast electrics, speedboats, jet-powered boats.

J?rg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 06:29:33 pm »

Propshaft  go to http://www.pt-boat.com/  John Drain in Aussie land had developed a 1/20 and 1/35 scale PT boat and he has fitted brushless motors to one of them and you can see a short clip of them on the water.

riggers
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

RantandRave

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...don't get me started!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 07:17:20 pm »

Hi all,

Gypo: I want try one in a 2 foot semiscale sports / speed for starters
Riggers. Wow! Is that scale speed ??? :o :o

PS. Riggers, Yes it me again!

The_Ships_Cat

• Shipmate
  • Yorkie Builder
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 08:03:10 pm »

have a look at www.astecmodels.co.uk they have info on brushless motors

Telstar

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 04:22:05 pm »

Hi To resurrect this thread.
I got a cheap and cheerful brushless motor and controller off E-Bay from China (thats upset half the members allready) and fitted it to an old Waverider, (a 27in long sport scale originall for ic) I had fitted a MFA Hummingbird 15 motor and 6 cell 7.2V nicads it ran ok pulling about 12A full speed, a Ripmax extra control, fitting the brushless motor which is smaller and lighter and the controller smaller and lighter using the same boat , prop etc. I found I had good speed control, a nice low speed boat hardly moved on tickover, and a better top end speed for about the same battery drain.  The only down side I had was no reverse but then I bought a cheap and cheerful system to play with. My idea is I can afford to play, and possably destroy £30 of motor and controller but not £90 of reversing brushless controller only plus a motor. I am now in the process of playing with Rx Ariel position and so on, as I think with no brushes to spark and give radio interference, there may be other advantages to new technology,

flag-d

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 04:21:51 pm »

Propshaft: for more general info on brushless motors and their required control system etc, ask a question or two on the tamiyaclub.com forum.  I know they're car based, but there are a lot of brushless users into cars and the like and so plenty of info.

Mike

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 06:33:01 pm »

The first of the reversing Brushless Motor speed controllers are around now....

Jeti - http://www.jetimodel.cz/eng/adv_50navy_en.html

Mtronics - http://www.mtroniks.net/mtroniks_SC_products.asp?CategoryID=1&SubCategoryID=6
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 09:06:02 pm »

These have been available for a few years in the UK. and have very good reports. not cheap though

Peter

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/barracuda.html

Model Boats Website

• www.model-boats.com
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boats Website
    • Model Boats Website
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 05:40:33 pm »

A few years ago I too was debating about getting a brushless motor or not (the same time as the old model boat forum article). At the time the concept was very new and only model planes and cars had these high performance motors.

The clincher was going to the national model show in Birmingham where most of the radio control models were using these motors, it was clear that they were 100 times better than the brushed equivalent and it was there I purchased one of these motors.

I then took out the heavy, underpowered 777 motor and replaced it with the new brushless motor. The results were amazing (see the video clips here) I would now never go back to brushed motors even for low speed boats since the battery life also increases. Everyone seems to think that if you get one of these motors you have to run them at high speed, they are well suited to small boats as well, just get a smaller brushless motor!

There is some information about these motors here if you want to know a little more about how they work or what the pros and cons are. ;)

So to Propshaft: Yes I have used these motors in model boats and there great! ;D ;D ;D

sidewinder

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 12:37:40 am »

hi new to this, just started back on models been some 20 years been some changes just got a perska balsa large going to put in three brushless motors in esky 007 outrunners no load 5 amps max 50 amps
with built in fans to keep cool going to use li-poly batts  got a old 47 inch cabin cruiser fibre glass heavy boat  that was petrol 22cc changed to one brushless motor got a 70mm prop goes like the clappers lipoly batt 3900 lasts about 20 mins nice turn of speed about 15 mph bi-directional esc slight heat motor nice and cold looking to use two esc 80 amp for forward only and one bi-directional for the middle motor need to work out can i use lead acid for the centre motor and li-poly for the outside motors and only use them for full power any ideas thanks sidewinder

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 06:39:08 am »

Welcome Side winder,

"three brushless motors in esky 007 outrunners no load 5 amps max 50 amps"
That's an impressive setup! :o

"looking to use two esc 80 amp for forward only and one bi-directional for the middle motor, need to work out can i use lead acid for the centre motor and li-poly for the outside motors and only use them for full power"
I take it you want to use a high capacity Lead acid for longevity / cruising.... that's OK, obviously you'll need to keep the power circuits separate (between the Li-poly and lead acids). Will you be controlling the Speed controllers on separate radio canels? The only problem I can see is that if at any stage you're not using any of the motors (ie. you turn off the outer 2 motors), these props act as drag brakes and will sap speed as you drag them through the water...... :-\
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

sidewinder

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 12:50:58 pm »

thanks for that first sea lord, what are high capacity lead acid and true about drag looks i need to buy a lot more li-poly batts to get a good days sailing in

explorer750

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 11:32:56 am »

Can anybody suggest a brushless motor to replace a 700BB turbo, running on 14.4V?

john54

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 02:32:54 pm »

Hi
Had a 700bb In my Jet stearm on 14 cell went well.
Now fitted with a 3000kv & 60amp e.s.c  lipo 3 20c 2200
First run this morning oh my g*d its very fast now the hull now @ its limit !
Downside only 8mins run time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.