Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mtronics ViperECO27 how much juice can she take?  (Read 10322 times)

A Model World

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem does what it says on the tin
    • A Model World
Re: Mtronics ViperECO27 how much juice can she take?
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2006, 12:21:07 pm »

Yes Doc the tap was at the top of the pipe restricting flow.
To answer Mankster Mtroniks who we have spoken to put the rating on the esc as they wanted to assure everyone that these esc's would handle that size of battery as most of their esc's are used by stick pack users in the fast electric categories or speed boat style
Fast electrics is quite right you shouldn?t blow the esc at a somewhat tootling around speed its when you are flat out for as long as the battery can handle that you will cause it to go into thermal shutdown e.g. to hot, however there is a point in between flat out and tootling where shut down will not happen and where it will. This us the hard thing to calibrate as each boat is different so to be safe 4.5 was tested flat out OK we have tested 7.2ah and we were Ok though we were not flat all the time. 12ah you may be OK but we cannot really say you are ok as we would open the flood gate to people complaining if it shuts down so we have to err on the side of caution you can of course look at water cooling of the esc or air cooling but its each boat that is different. Mtroniks put the 4500 ah label on to really just  say these esc's will handle that run time they are now testing how much higher they can go.
There is no hard and fast rule here give it a go check it after 20 or 30 minutes see how warm/hot it is then check again

Daily flogging?of the ships crew will continue until morale improves

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2006, 06:25:17 pm »

Ok this makes sense now. So a 15 amp Viper ESc can't actually handle 15amp continous indefinately without  heating and possibly shutting down. So if you have a 4500mah battery back and running flat out with motor drawing 15amps, a 15Amp ESC will be safe for running this way for roughly 20min before the pack is exhausted. If you had a bigger capacity battery and ran it for longer at 15 Amps, you risk over heating.  So If I got the 25amp ESC instead, I would still only be drawing 15amps so the ESC would be running cooler as its well within its design limits and hence I could run flat out for much longer than 20min ( assuming I had a bigger capacity battery) without risk of over heating?
I don't think scale boats will be running flat out for so long anyways.

flybobby

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2006, 07:31:13 pm »

Even I can make sense of that.  ;D

Good work all ;)

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2006, 08:17:02 pm »

Yep and me, maybe I'm not too old to get some of this new-fangled radio stuff ::)
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

A Model World

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem does what it says on the tin
    • A Model World
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2006, 08:21:44 pm »

I said I wasnt perfect at explaining in type form Mankster but yes we got there I imagine Mtroniks will have an answer by weekend even though it will err on the side of caution as to how long. I would still bang an electronize 30 in a tug though as you have the higher amps and variable speed so you can stop whine and adjust the esc to lower output   
Daily flogging?of the ships crew will continue until morale improves

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2006, 11:39:43 pm »

If anyone is worried about overheating ESC, you can now buy small electric fans from maplin and most RC Shops that sell RC Cars. The RC Car fraternity use these fans to blow air over the motor to stop it overheating during races.

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2006, 11:40:00 am »

so just to be clear on this where do i stick the croc clips and bits of silver foil ? do i stick these in between the motor and ESC or the battery and ESC and at what point does the whole model go up in flames ????? ;D

sorry could not resist !
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2006, 07:48:23 pm »

Guy,
The silver bits are stuck to your forehead.  The 'clips' to your ears or eyebrows, unless you really wanna be 'there', then you clip them to your nose.  At least that's what's common around here.  Me?  Ain't gonna do it...
 - 'Doc

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2006, 10:45:00 am »

dont knock it until you have tried it !
all in all its just another brick in the wall......
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.