Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Paddle Steamers  (Read 14044 times)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Paddle Steamers
« on: March 16, 2008, 11:35:03 am »

Can anyone recommend a Paddle steamer Kit please.

I fancy having a go on one. I don't mind an empty Hull and I'll scratch build her. I thought something about five foot long.

Cheers...Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Paddle Steamers
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 11:48:27 am »

Metcalf Mouldings do a hull of PS Albion. This was also adapted as the basis of the Glen Rosa series of articles published in Model Boats recently. 51 inches long.

http://business.virgin.net/metcalf.mouldings/catalogue.htm

Red_Hamish

• Full Mayhemer
  • Have a wee dram and enjoy life
    • Edinburgh Model Boat Club
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 02:53:49 pm »

Hello all, remember there is a wealth of information and advice available onf the dedicated Paddler forum www.paddleducks.co.uk where you are more than welcome to drop-in by.

cheers

Jim
Visit www.paddleducks.co.uk & www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk for all your model boating needs!
See what life is all about www.visitshetland.com/sumburgh-airport-live-video This is the pace of life that the doctors prescribe, so laid back that you

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 03:47:50 pm »

Jim, you beat me to it.   Pete M (Oldie)
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 06:13:15 pm »

Hi Ken, with a name like tug kenny this could be the one for you.

Graupner's Glasgow Paddle Tug Kit.  O0

http://www.alwayshobbies.com/Store/Model-Boats/Radio-Control-Boats/Graupner's-Glasgow-Paddle-Tug-Kit
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 07:03:43 pm »

Hi there Tug Boat Ken

Have you thought about the paddletug 'Forceful'?  You can purchase the plans from Model Boats referenced as MM1292 - for the sum of 14 pounds 95 pence.   Plus you can purchase a Vac-formed styrene hull.  Not sure of the styrene hull; but, the Model is at 1:48 scale - about 39 1/2 inches long byt about 8 1/2 across the boxes.   She was one of the last two (I think) of paddletugs built in the 50s for the Royal Navy, but she is not all grey.   She does make a lovely model, you can have working fire monitors, independent controlled paddles (meaning she will just spin on a 2 1/2 pence because there are no sixpences now  :) .

Also, I believe Kingston Mouldings do a hull for this, not sure of the prices charged, but I would imagine you may get the hull and plan for the price.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 07:20:05 pm »

Ken I think this is the tug that Bluebird is refering to although I know it as a Director class
                                                                                             Cheers
                                                                                                  BobB
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 07:25:22 pm »

hi ya there Bob - yep that is the one - lovely model  :)

Also, I forgot to mention Ken, you can scratchbuild the hull - I have the plans for her.   It is a similar build to the Cervia - only difference is where the paddles are located on the sides, you plank in with solid ply, which makes it an easier hull construction.

aye
john

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 07:30:58 pm »

She IS a Director class.
They were built specifically for getting under the flare on carriers.
And to aid maneuverability had dispensations to allow each paddle to be controlled independently.
Diesel Electric drive.
How do I know, I was on the last one. She was shunted over a cat by RMAS Confident so couldn't bring in HMS Invincible for her first entry. This was to be her swansong.
If you build her PLEASE use Humbrol No7 it is exactly the right colour.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 08:03:09 pm »

I tried the vac-formed hull but gave up on it because of the lack of rigidity. Kingston do a 'Director' hull plus plans for £55.75 and I can vouch for its quality having built on it myself. Just don't be fooled by the paddle boxes that make her look beamy - in fact she is quite narrow with a fair bit of top-hamper. Watch your stability and build weight.

The Model Boats articles on the Class are worth having not least for the info that the photos provide. If you don't already have them, I can let you have copies. Also, she really does have to have feathering paddles to work and look right. I have the Model Maker Plans for these and the gear boxes. Send me a PM if interested.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 08:10:47 pm »

Both JoTIKa and Waverley Models should be able to supply feathering paddle sets if you don't fancy trying to make them yoursef. Not cheap but do look good.

Pictures below are of the Waverley offering. The template is on computer and can be scaled.

Colin

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 08:13:56 pm »

Hi there, I found that the gearboxes were noisy and spoilt the look and sound of my model - so I converted mine to an independent 'tooth belt drive' which made her quieter.  I cannot vouch for the 'feathering' paddle blades, I had fixed paddles on mine - and she operated quite well - no complaints.

The only thing I would mention is - sometimes I used to find one side of the model used to dig in and lift one paddle out of the water at the opposite side.

John

This is a modification, Ive just been informed that both my paddles have never been in the watter  {-) {-) {-)

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 09:08:33 pm »

I have yet to finish mine I have the drive train from a Heng-Long panther to put in her she is fitted with Graupner feathering paddle set should get her finished soon but I have a sub to complete first
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008, 09:30:28 pm »

This is a modification, Ive just been informed that both my paddles have never been in the watter  {-) {-) {-)
Is that the same as a few chips short of a butty ? :-\
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2008, 09:36:52 pm »

before we get moderated Dicky, Ive stopped the lift before it goes all the way to the top, cos some body has pinched the chips out me butty - cos the light was on and no body was in.......  8)

anyway, on a more serious note Kenny - I have been looking through the Model Boats' plans book and there is another one which has caught my eye, which I know you could make and easily accomplish from scratch - its a plan numbered MM1273 The Talisman - designed by a guy named A.Thompson - model is 56 inches long; x 7 inches beam and it says it has details for a simple or a feathering type paddle wheel construction.  Its star rating is three.  That is if you fancy building from a plan - but there may be a hull readily available which you could adapt to this plan; cos to me its a nice looking paddle steamer.

aye
john e
bluebird

Stavros

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2008, 11:21:31 pm »

Kenny I might Just have what you are looking for a recently completed Waverley Paddle steamer that one of our members just finished before he passed away and his good lady is looking for a Good home for her will pm you this week on a price etc

Stavros

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2008, 11:22:41 pm »

Hi there, I found that the gearboxes were noisy and spoilt the look and sound of my model - so I converted mine to an independent 'tooth belt drive' which made her quieter.  I cannot vouch for the 'feathering' paddle blades, I had fixed paddles on mine - and she operated quite well - no complaints.

The only thing I would mention is - sometimes I used to find one side of the model used to dig in and lift one paddle out of the water at the opposite side.

John

I have to admit that I didn't fit the gearbox either. Toothed pulleys and geared motors were a much easier bet. I did make the feathering paddles (87 components in each one) and they work fine. If paddles of the right size and scale were available off the shelf at the time, I might have fitted those.

I can't vouch for it but someone who claimed to have seen a Director with fixed paddles competing with a feathering paddle job, said that the latter had a significantly better performance.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2008, 11:30:39 pm »

The original Directors had feathering paddles.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2008, 11:33:38 pm »

The original Directors had feathering paddles.

Bob

Eh? - That's why I fitted them!

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2008, 09:20:36 am »

Just an afterthought to the question of drive systems for paddlers. Before I switched to toothed wheels and rubber belts, I used brass gears and metal chain drives. This system was ditched after I discovered that the metal on metal contact was generating severe radio interference.

Cheers

Barry M

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2008, 12:31:19 pm »

WOW.  Thank you, everyone for your input. I'm overwhelmed.

Yes, I fancy building the 'Waverley'. Special thanks to Stavros for the offer, but I want to build it myself, sorry, but excellent offer. I shall be getting in touch with Mike of Waverley Models and find out some more details.

I was reading my latest Model boat book, Bluebird, and it was the write up on 'Albion' that got my interest. I went back through the editions and came across 'Glen Rosa. It reminded me of my childhood ride on 'Glen Gower' in the Bristol Channel, all those years ago (the 50's).

Thanks for your site info, Red-Hamish. Now I've got something to read for the next week.  O0.   A truly 'mine of information' there to go through. (must get on with latest boat sometime!!)

Once again, thanks all, and hope to see yours at Wickstead, Youngat 65.

Cheers...Ken

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2008, 11:13:19 am »

hi ken i am doing up the laura doone for a friend she a big boat. something diffrent.
john

chas

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2008, 04:35:10 pm »

Hi Cos,
       I'll soon be starting a model of hms Atherstone which I think was later modified to Lorna doone.
   Is there any chance of some more pics or your model, info on the Atherstone id mighty thin on the ground. I'm especialy interested in the paddles which on my drawings seem very small for the size of ship.
 Thanks,
Chas

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2008, 05:45:51 pm »

Hi Cos,
       I'll soon be starting a model of hms Atherstone which I think was later modified to Lorna doone.
   Is there any chance of some more pics or your model, info on the Atherstone id mighty thin on the ground. I'm especialy interested in the paddles which on my drawings seem very small for the size of ship.
 Thanks,
Chas

hi chas well she scratch built and is about 50" long. She is at my mums so il go up there this week and take loads of photos for you.

john

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2008, 08:42:56 pm »

That sure is a nice looking Paddler, Cos918.  Very tidy.  O0

I'm no expert on these craft but I do admire their looks and grace.  My Kit hasn't arrived yet but I expect to start mine soon.

Ken
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.