Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Q & A - General Havelock  (Read 61381 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Q & A - General Havelock by Bryan Young
« Reply #125 on: April 16, 2008, 08:54:05 pm »

Thanks Brian.

I was referring to 'your' construction, and wondered if the bowl's size could be matched to 'baby powdered milk' spoons

I have yet to receive the plans and kit for mine, but judging by the pictures, they look the sort of size you could 'Stow away' on  ;D

Cheers...Ken
I am pretty sure now that I have made mine too large. But as no-one else has a clue...nor a set of plans...being a ship built in 1895...who is going to quibble? (Me for one). I still like the idea of modifying measuring spoons, really could have saved me a fortune in rumination whilst consuming the McEwans Export.
Notes from a simple seaman

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: May 05, 2008, 06:11:33 pm »

"Finished" result looks superb Bryan. Many thanks for posting all the build details which have been a very useful source of information.

Colin

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #127 on: May 05, 2008, 06:54:42 pm »

Quote from: Bryan Young.
  By the way, can someone tell me what the difference is between a heater motor and a "Barracuda"? They look the same.

Bryan

The heater motor is an electrical gubbins and the "Barracuda" is a fish. Sorry. :embarrassed:
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #128 on: June 09, 2008, 06:14:34 pm »

Please feel free to share your Questions and comments on  Bryan Young's  General Havelock    here on this thread.

(  Build thread:    General Havelock  )

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

GaryM

« Reply #129 on: June 11, 2008, 11:36:54 pm »

Whoops! Posted originally on your build thread - sorry :embarrassed:
The best boat construction I've seen so far on any site - Fact. O0  and there are lots of fantastic boats on this site.
Gives me butterflies in the belly and turns me green with envy, yet something to aspire to.

Beautiful boat Bryan.

regards
Gary :)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: June 12, 2008, 12:41:02 pm »

Whoops! Posted originally on your build thread - sorry :embarrassed:
The best boat construction I've seen so far on any site - Fact. O0  and there are lots of fantastic boats on this site.
Gives me butterflies in the belly and turns me green with envy, yet something to aspire to.

Beautiful boat Bryan.

regards
Gary :)
Many thanks Gary.
I am pretty pleased with the way it has turned out. It took over a year to build, so may I add a little rider to the build articles. It may sound obvious...and probably is...but when building a model time should never be a factor whether yo are building kit, scratch or something inbetween. And to keep up the interest, the model (or the original) should engender a real and long lasting interest in the builder. I can honestly say that I have never been bored with a model under construction. I know some folk who like to put one model down and start another..or more than 1. Some of these guys never get around to finishing any of them!. So I think it all comes down to making an astute choice of model to begin with. Thanks again. Bryan. P.S. perhaps I could get interested in an Admirals barge. Never done real steam before.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #131 on: June 12, 2008, 07:16:25 pm »

Quote from: Bryan Young.
  By the way, can someone tell me what the difference is between a heater motor and a "Barracuda"? They look the same.

Bryan

The heater motor is an electrical gubbins and the "Barracuda" is a fish. Sorry. :embarrassed:
[/quote
Still waiting for a more tunaful answer.

bbdave

Re: Q & A - General Havelock
« Reply #132 on: July 29, 2008, 07:53:24 pm »

This may have been asked and i may have missed it. why do you build a wooden hull to lay a fibreglass one why not just stick with a wooden hull?

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: July 30, 2008, 10:00:05 pm »

This may have been asked and i may have missed it. why do you build a wooden hull to lay a fibreglass one why not just stick with a wooden hull?
1. Long life for the hull.
2. Re. no.1..Idiots who crash into me hurt themselves most.
3. Structural strength...quite a few of my boats are around the 7' mark and a fibreglass hull is strongest.
4. I don't know how to build a good wooden hull.
5. I like old ships that have a heavy and rivetted hull, I do not really like modern welded ships...too much like B&Q warehouses. So I like a bit of "character".
6. There is no no.6...yet.     BY.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: August 20, 2011, 03:12:12 am »

Bryan....from the images posted today in the alternate thread......although the model GH has a substantial draft.........when sailing she displays what I assume would be prototypical heeling when turning.........the images looked near life like...... :-)) ...Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.