Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Q & A - Swordsman A PLAN FOR BEGINNERS by Bluebird  (Read 51823 times)

boxer

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Q & A - Swordsman A PLAN FOR BEGINNERS by Bluebird
« Reply #175 on: July 06, 2016, 10:45:28 AM »

Another question just about to start stage 1 and I am doing something wrong stage 1 part 4 seems longer than what it should be will post up pic later

boxer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #176 on: July 06, 2016, 12:25:21 PM »

Where it goes on plan part 4 looks about 40mm too

Inertia

• Full Mayhemer
  • "Eyup, m'duck!"
« Reply #177 on: July 06, 2016, 12:58:03 PM »

The front and rear parts of the keel are NOT glued together. There is a gap for the prop tube. If you align the ends of part 4 with the slots in the keel parts then this should give you that gap. Make sure that the keel is dead straight along its bottom edge when you join the two ends to parts 4. Here is a picture of a similar model which shows what I mean.
Dave M
'Never argue with an idiot - they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience'

Inertia

• Full Mayhemer
  • "Eyup, m'duck!"
« Reply #178 on: July 06, 2016, 01:49:36 PM »

Boxer
I take it that you are aware of Bluebird's excellent build log of the Swordsman? Have a look at Reply #2 here  http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7668.0.html, which shows how John did that part of the job. It's always worth having a look here first as it could save you time and trouble if you aren't sure about a procedure.
Dave M
'Never argue with an idiot - they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience'

danielcardona

• Shipmate
« Reply #179 on: September 07, 2016, 06:56:10 PM »

Hello Guys

I ask before if I could use Balsa for skinning the Hull of the Swordsman. 2.5mm cover with fiberglass cloth would be enough I think but i was thinking, If I would Use 3mm liteply will it add too much weight for this model?

bluebird

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #180 on: September 08, 2016, 04:26:26 PM »

Hi there
the original model was built with, I believe, two or three mm thick lite ply skin.  To be honest its that long now since I built the model I cant remember now.  Technology has moved on leaps and bounds.  There is now new Epoxy Resins which are water-based, along with light weight materials would be ideal to skin the hull over the top of lite ply or balsa.

I have built similar models recently to the Swordsman and used the water based resins which are quite good (by the way the resin is Deluxe Exe-Kote which I used).   I also used the light weight woven roven matting which is the one some of the Aircraft lads and lasses use to skin the wings - its the lightest of the light of materials and it went on really well.   More like a lightweight silk.

John

Ed Boyce

• Shipmate
« Reply #181 on: March 02, 2017, 03:59:50 AM »

To build or do over

Part I

Newbie builder and poster.  Am from Arkansas near White River.  Have started lots of model boats before but never got over the hump.  Have a lot of half built hulls in shop.

Part II

Found Bluebird's build log and ordered Dave Milbourn's plan to build Fairey Swordsman. Plan makes sense. Bluebird's build log makes it look easy even for me.

Part III

Materials here are not generally available at Wal-Mart.  I reached out to HobbyLobby across the river. They have "craft ply" in 1/8 inch (3ply basswood) to take place of 3mm lite ply and 1/16 solid basswood sheets to suffice for 2mm.  Using available materials I built up keel, made chip board templates, sanded ever so carefully, only to find out.....

Part IV

My carefully crafted keel will lay flat on one side but on the other there is a bow of anywhere from 5mm to 12mm; hold the stern to the table the bow tip is 12mm off of the table.

Part V

1. Do I go go ahead and build it up for experience?
2. Is my wood sorry?
3. Is there a wrong way to clamp glue laminates?
4. Would 5 ply birch lay flatter?
5. Other suggestions.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up