Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hitec speed controller  (Read 6787 times)

murphy1570

hitec speed controller
« on: April 01, 2008, 12:41:10 am »

Hello folks
I have a "hitec sp-610 rf" elictric    speed controller which is a few years old  but still in mint condition, I phoned hitec today who were quite helpful re setting it up etc, after informing me it was an "antique no less"!!!,although it has never been used, to cut a long story short I have managed to hook it up to the motor, battery, and the motor servo and I even managed to get the motor to run, and as a raw beginner to the "black art of electrics and indeed model boats", I felt quite proud of my handiwork until that is the speed controller refused point blank to alternate the speed despite much turnung of the screw both clockwise and anticlockwise it made not a jot of difference, and the motor just kept ploding on at the same steady rate, despite wiggling the throttle stick furiously to no avail. Any advice or help would be much appreciated. And to the members who helped with my last post.
Cheers mates, look forward to any advice or help from fellow members re the above.
Thanks all the best,John.

andygh

Re: hitec speed controller
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 01:34:26 am »

Have you checked the state of the receiver & transmitter batteries?
Did the motor stop turning when you centred the stick?

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 08:15:55 am »

May sound a silly question but you did have the unit plugged into the right channel on the receiver ?
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 08:44:30 am »

Strewth! A Hitec 610! My Mum used to let me play with the box from one of these while I was waiting in my high-chair for my rusk and milk. If it's one of the old gold jobbies then they're quite tame on a nice little 385, but stick anything more than 10A up one for a few seconds and guess what happens? Yep - the motor speed stops varying........ You can waggle what you like until the cows return from the hills but, subject to the checks already mentioned, I reckon you've blown it, John. I think your new friends at Hitec might be getting a bit intimate with this unit; that's if they can still get the components for one.
BTW you don't need a degree in electronics to wire up a model boat; it's really just "schoolboys with batteries and bulbs" stuff. Don't be frightened of gizmos with wires, but do please ask if you're uncertain. Electrons which go the wrong way round a circuit have a nasty habit of spoiling the fun.

FLJ (Am I sounding like PMK these days?)

OMK

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 09:55:49 am »

Sounding like PMK??

Mate, you're underestimating yourself. If I could come out with a dead cracking line like: "John. I think your new friends at Hitec might be getting a bit intimate with this unit...", then I wouldn't be sat here thinking: "I am not worthy!... I am not worthy!", would I?

Dude, not only are you the master of mirth, a little birdie tells me you're also pretty hot on electron theorum.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 10:24:30 am »

The Hitec gold brick was good up to 10amps, like FLJ says, a 380/385 or a lightly loaded 540/545, and up to 8.4 volts.  Any more current demanded could cook the output transistors, any more volts would kill the circuit driving those transistors.  I have also had mates controllers to fix which have suffered from over enthusiastic work on the adjuster.   These were not the most robust components available, and depending on which bits were left in contact with what after the event, all sorts of results were possible.  Complete modern ESCs probably cost less as a new item than getting and fitting replacement parts for the brick.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 11:16:46 am »

Mate, you're underestimating yourself.
Dude - it would be impossible to underestimate me!! As I once wrote in someone's staff report, this officer suffers from delusions of adequacy. Takes one to spot one. See you in Sheepy Hollow?
Malcolm - I'd far sooner you try to mend one of those things than me. Great will be your reward in the hereafter.
John - I can point you in the direction of a good (and repairable) British-made ESC if you send me a PM with details of your motor, model and prop set-up  ;)
FLJ

BTW Has anyone seen the Beeb's April Fool jape? I've heard of pigs flying, but penguins??

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 05:23:38 pm »

Malcolm - I'd far sooner you try to mend one of those things than me. Great will be your reward in the hereafter.
I live in hopes, but hope not to find out for a long time to come.
Knowing which screws to pull out helps and disassembly and reassembly is easy enough, but getting hold of the bits is another story.  Again, adding in an allowance for time spent, a new one looks very attractive.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

djrobbo

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 08:12:01 pm »

:(...Oh dear..........just been given one of these gold bricks.......thought that will be useful in one of my new projects O0

Then i saw this thread  :'(.....shall i even try it or just bin it ?

regards.bob.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 08:20:34 pm »

Bob,
As stated before they are fine for low power applications.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

andygh

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 09:27:06 pm »

shall i even try it or just bin it ?

Don't bin it, they're very good

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 09:53:11 pm »

Hi All

One of mine still works OK. The other went into overdrive a year or so back --- no warning -  just like that - bit rude I thought  {-)

Cheers

Doug

PS Antiques road show didn't want to know  >:(
Don't Assume Check
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.