Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: "Northumbrian"  (Read 114370 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: "Northumbrian"
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2009, 05:21:31 pm »

Just wonderful Bryan- having never seen these boats your model leave nothing to the imagination- can just see the pall of smoke puthering from the funnel on a drizzly day on the Tyne as the Morris minors, Minis, Austins, ERFs etc roll on and off.

Do you weather your models artificially or will you leave the weather to do it for real?

Greg

PS thanks for the explanation of a cracket mike.
Talking about the boat or the vehicles? For the boats I usually just brush the dust off. Dirtying up the vehicles will be a new thing for me, and as yet I haven't decided how to go about it. But plenty of time to think about that. Bryan.
Notes from a simple seaman

sentry

« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2009, 10:14:46 pm »

Me for one brings a tear to my eye just thinking of them lovely days when the Tyne was a river and not just a nice walk as it is now Jimmy Nail got it stop on with the song BIG RIVER , been in Lincolnshire now for 32 years but still and always will be proud  to say am a Geordie even if I married a mackem and love Sunderland football club will always remember my days as a boy on the river side watching the ferry's Sentry.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: August 05, 2009, 09:30:16 pm »

Just a couple of pics to show that the old girl is still progressing. The pic of the telegraph is larger than "life size"...it is 2" tall.
This model is proving difficult to photograph as one detail needs to be seen in conjunction with others that cannot be fitted into the 161kb limit imposed without going all blurry. Making the telegraphs was interesting if time consuming....as was the radar mast and scanner. The seats continue to be a pain in the tripes, but only 8 to go.

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #103 on: August 05, 2009, 10:21:43 pm »

Hi Bryan,

Talking about the boat or the vehicles? For the boats I usually just brush the dust off. Dirtying up the vehicles will be a new thing for me, and as yet I haven't decided how to go about it. But plenty of time to think about that. Bryan.

I meant the model as a whole- vehicles and all?

A little question you may be able to answer- I see your good looking little whistle has it's pull chord running down into the decks- did it have remote operation from the wheelhouse or did the engineroom(?) operate it? Just about every other steamboat of this size just has it running to the wheelhouse dangling between the funnel and the helm.

Greg

(edit) I just realised that it wasn't the whistle pull chord I waas looking at, it was one of the funnel cables! Need glasses!!
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

ZZ56

« Reply #104 on: August 05, 2009, 11:07:25 pm »

Looking beautiful, Bryan.  The seats are tiny models unto themselves. 

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2009, 08:26:08 am »

A little question you may be able to answer- I see your good looking little whistle has it's pull chord running down into the decks- did it have remote operation from the wheelhouse or did the engineroom(?) operate it? Just about every other steamboat of this size just has it running to the wheelhouse dangling between the funnel and the helm.

Greg

(edit) I just realised that it wasn't the whistle pull chord I waas looking at, it was one of the funnel cables! Need glasses!!

I seem to remember that the connection to the whistle was nothing more technical than a length of seizing wire or maybe a little heavier gauge (usually 2 port and stbd ?) with a grab handle on the end. When arriving in port after a long sea passage we used to give the whistle a blow to clear accumulated water from the pipes. Apart from the comical noises as it cleared its throat, anybody passing below got a soaking as it spouted hot water everywhere !

Mike

PS She's looking better and better Bryan, if that's possible  O0

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: August 06, 2009, 05:53:00 pm »

Hi Bryan,

I meant the model as a whole- vehicles and all?

Greg

The whistle is indeed operated from the wheelhouse via a wire sagging (or dangling) between the 2. But as the deck area holding the funnel lifts off for access it seems pointless to fit it....suppose I could still fit the operating arm though. Another required departure from the "real" is that for the reasons given re access, the 2 forward funnel guys have had to be moved aft a bit. Looks a bit odd I suppose, but when needs must and all that.... BY.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: August 12, 2009, 06:31:41 pm »

At long last I've finished the seats. It wasn't that they were difficult.....it was just the sheer repitition of it all. 1000 eyelets and roughly half that number of "hand grip" beads. I found myself wondering if this job would outlive my short spell on this mortal coil.
The next "big job" is the making of the cowl ventilators. For previous models I have been able to make "plugs" with a diameter of cowl of just over 1", set in the vertical column, and vac form them in my home-made (and very basic) vac-forming machine. But the 4 vents fitted to the ferry have a cowl dia of 2". Beyond the scope of my machinery. Also, being at 1:24 scale the detail and accuracy has to be a bit more precise than when making these things at 1:48. I've been trying for weeks now to find a local wood turner, but I guess that as it is a "hobby" a bit like model boat building these folk are hard to find. Tried "Craft Fairs" and all that. But I think I have found someone not too far away from me. Fingers crossed and I'll keep you informed. When they (the vents) are done and dusted that will be the end of the major constructional work. Then I'll continue the search for "people" and suitable vehicles. This thing is costing me an arm and both legs now...and I still haven't bought the 2 ESCs and the receiver!
It wasn't worth putting any new pics on here until I have something "different" to show. Cheers. BY.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #108 on: August 13, 2009, 07:45:14 am »

It will be a bit of an anti climax handling the big stuff after all that bead work I suppose  %) %) I found Revell did a 1/24 truck crew consisting of two blokes and a little girl for some reason that weren't too expensive. They are all in the seated position obviously, but if they are still available, they could put a couple of bottoms on those lovely seats !

Mike

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: August 13, 2009, 06:05:08 pm »

It will be a bit of an anti climax handling the big stuff after all that bead work I suppose  %) %) I found Revell did a 1/24 truck crew consisting of two blokes and a little girl for some reason that weren't too expensive. They are all in the seated position obviously, but if they are still available, they could put a couple of bottoms on those lovely seats !

Mike
Mike, I don't know so much about going from little to "big"...see attached pic of the vents. Although the main trunks will be just over 1" dia there is still the turning gear to work out.
I've looked at the Revell site and (after a hint from Dicky D) quite like the look of some of their "older" models. As far as figures are concerned I was thinking in terms of 50 or so of the little swines.
Radically changing the topic, I think you are on a hiding to nothing as far as your petition is concerned. One of my (widowed) neighbours has been a member (can't think of another word) for many years and she reckons it's all done and dusted. Many reasons for closure. Lack of support. Not enough seamen visitors to make it worthwhile. Poor and uninterested leadership. And on it goes. Sorry.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #110 on: August 13, 2009, 07:54:49 pm »

Thanks for the info Bryan, truth be known I was a bit pessimistic anyway but I thought it worth a few key strokes, I have yet to see any petition I have added my name to get anywhere especially if the government is involved (or accountants !)
Glad to here DickyD has come up with the 1/24th figure solution as 50 sets of two blokes and a girl would look a bit daft ! ( I know the arithmetic doesn't match up either !) Seeing those vents made me think of you and your watchmate fighting to turn similar sized handraulic beasts off the wind in the middle of the night when a tropical squall hit, when men were men blah, blah  %%

Mike

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2009, 05:31:20 pm »

Some of you may well have either seen my "Baroda" at shows or as photos on this forum. So I show this pic as a comparison.
When I first started this build I knew it was going to be wide, although only 51" long. But, like Topsy it has just growed and growed...and the rubber tyre fenders have still to be fitted, adding yet anothe 1" or so to the beam. Sometimes I wish I'd never started it in the first place! I'm still enjoying the build (sort of) but it has become a bit of an effort turning it around without dismantling it and using the inside hull lifting handles.  I really must put my few remaining little grey cells to work and dream up a lifting arrangement for launching and recovery from the water. If the blessed thing had a "normal" hull then there wouldn't be a problem. But the 2" (on each side) deck extention makes things a bit awkward.
By the way, the trailer in which the ferry is pictured is 4' wide.

sentry

« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2009, 09:57:08 pm »

Brian I only wish i,ed had the chance to build it my self so many memories keep up the great work.
                                                            Sentry.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: August 16, 2009, 06:31:53 pm »

Took it down to the lake this morning just to show how the thing is progressing....and listen to comments. At least 3 guys mentioned that they thought the funnel clour was too dark (not the black bit). I know that memories fade a bit and the boat went out of service at least 35 years ago. So now I feel a bit stumped. An unexpected deviation. But I have found a wood-turner who may be able to help with turning the plug ventilator cowls. So not all bad news. BY.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #114 on: August 17, 2009, 08:18:52 am »

Now you come to mention it I can see a lighter slightly washed out yellow in my minds eye, but that may be auto suggestion. I'll agree to anything !

Mike

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: August 25, 2009, 06:56:28 pm »

OK, I know these aren't the greatest pics the world has seen, but they are just "record" shots. Once I'm fully mobile again I'll get some better outdoor pics. The making and fitting of the ramps has been a problem for months now, but as with bulls and horns, a start had to be made sometime.
The last major "above decks" job is the making of the 4 large cowl vents. But just in case they get delayed I spent next Xmas money today on 2 ESCs and a reciever. So I can get on with that....and then probably a "steam whistle" module from FLJ.
2546...Inside of stbd ramp withe sliding foot, ramp control and mesh rope guard.
2548...A very poor general shot.
2549...Port ramp from aft.
2550...Outboard of stbd. ramp.
2551...Port ramp from aft.

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #116 on: August 25, 2009, 07:14:07 pm »

Hi Bryan,

Still improving!!!! :o

Great to see how authentic tghis model looks- you should be proud.

Regarding a whistle sound module- why not put one of those cheap 12V car accessory-socket powered tyre compressors pumping onto a small reservoir then fit a model steam whistle on the funnel with a servo-controlled valve (look at http://www.mainsteam.co.uk/products/whistle.htm)?

Just a sugestion... :-))

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: August 29, 2009, 05:49:12 pm »

Hi Bryan,

Still improving!!!! :o

Great to see how authentic tghis model looks- you should be proud.

Regarding a whistle sound module- why not put one of those cheap 12V car accessory-socket powered tyre compressors pumping onto a small reservoir then fit a model steam whistle on the funnel with a servo-controlled valve (look at http://www.mainsteam.co.uk/products/whistle.htm)?

Just a sugestion... :-))

Greg
Greg. Thanks for the interesting reply. Although I have oodles of space to fit your suggested idea, I must decline! For a start, my "steam pipes" are solid (knitting needles) and I have no desire to make them again out of tubing. Then fastening the whistle body to whatever a whistle is fastened to sounds like too much hard work with the always present chance that the thing may blow off its mounts and become an unguided missile. Finally, I really want a nice deep toned steam whistle sound and not the shriek that was given off by steam trains. I think I'll stick with the electronic version. Ta for the interest though. BY.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: August 29, 2009, 06:28:15 pm »

Some while ago (when building "General Havelock") I posted a rather uninformative pic of cowl vent making. T that time I already had the "plugs" made (for another model) so this time around I thought I'd do a series from conception to completion. The next 4 pics show how I make a vent plug (or mould or whatever you wish to call it) from its raw beginnings to being ready for vac-forming. I'll cover the rest when the basic forms are done. Making your own simple vac-forming machine is really quite easy and it can be very useful, but the cowls for the Northumbrian vents are 2" in dia and a bit over what my little machine is capable of handling. James Lane has a heavy-duty thing so he's said he will do the actual forming for me. The same plug will be used for all 4 vents.
Pic 2552,
The 2 rough plug elements, granted that they look "dual purpose", but as this is a family forum just acknowledge that they are fo making air ventilators. OK? I have 2 just in case I made a horlicks out of one of them.
Gash spiggot cut off and taped around the approx "cut off" line. Cowl end slotted and main shaft trimmed to fit.
The 2 parts glued together.
All trimmed up and the flaring contours smoothed in with car body filler. The cowl is cut off with a 5* rake. (Cowl vents very seldom have vertical faces on the cowls).
The unit sliced in half. "Filler" pieces to both halves to give a clean line after vac-forming.
This is the last major job to do on the upperworks. Electronics and ballasting next. Should be interesting. Bryan.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: August 29, 2009, 06:35:38 pm »

Oops. More finger trouble! Can the "powers that be" please delete one of the duplicates?

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: September 04, 2009, 07:36:58 pm »

I've been plodding along with these vents for quite long enough now.
The enclosed pic shows the "state of play" as of 10 minutes ago.
The "orange" sort of colour comes from having my reading lamp too close to the subject. Sorry.
The vents are 6" tall. The main "turning" gear is made from a suitably sized "tie-wrap" that looks about right.
Still to be done are the 4 little guide/holding down wheels that run around the lower (square) ring.
The main drive wheel and the rod is yet to be made and fitted. But nearly there!

mackem1946

« Reply #121 on: September 05, 2009, 12:24:12 pm »

:-))   Superb Work Brian, you must have the constitution of a horse to keep going.
On the subject of "Crackets" they originated in the coal mines and were used by the Hewers to sit on when they were working in coal seams which had a lot of water flowing through them.  They had very short legs just enough to keer the man's bum out of the water. The hole in the top was a different shape in different areas and was used to pick them up. Where I came from the Cracket used in the home never had a hole in as it had long legs and you could pick it up bt the top edge. Those with holes in were locally called "Farty Crackets" as they would let the gas out. {-)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: September 05, 2009, 07:01:38 pm »

:-))   Superb Work Brian, you must have the constitution of a horse to keep going.
On the subject of "Crackets" they originated in the coal mines and were used by the Hewers to sit on when they were working in coal seams which had a lot of water flowing through them.  They had very short legs just enough to keer the man's bum out of the water. The hole in the top was a different shape in different areas and was used to pick them up. Where I came from the Cracket used in the home never had a hole in as it had long legs and you could pick it up bt the top edge. Those with holes in were locally called "Farty Crackets" as they would let the gas out. {-)

Well ,one lives and learns! I suppose by birth I'm more of a Mackem than a Geordie (although time erodes these minor differences). But although we had "crackets" about the place my parents were pretty typical of the era and would never even admit that the word "farty" existed. It's quite amazing how strait-laced and conservative (with a small "c") lower working class people actually were. Bless them! Cheers, BY.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #123 on: September 06, 2009, 10:12:22 am »

:-))   Superb Work Brian, you must have the constitution of a horse to keep going.
On the subject of "Crackets" they originated in the coal mines and were used by the Hewers to sit on when they were working in coal seams which had a lot of water flowing through them.  They had very short legs just enough to keer the man's bum out of the water. The hole in the top was a different shape in different areas and was used to pick them up. Where I came from the Cracket used in the home never had a hole in as it had long legs and you could pick it up bt the top edge. Those with holes in were locally called "Farty Crackets" as they would let the gas out. {-)

Thanks Mackem for explaining the very interesting origins of something I thought of as nothing more than a wooden stool.  :-)) Just goes to show you nothing is as it seems !
Great vents Bryan, what did you use to hold down the tie wraps/gear teeth ? I have found that some types of plastic don't adhere to Araldite and haven't found an alternative  

Mike

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: September 06, 2009, 07:17:25 pm »

Mike. I found (after great expense) that the only superglue I could find that would stick the tie=wraps to plasticard is "Grip". Locktite just turned up a snooty nose at it. Having said that, I have pinned the ends that will be covered by the small drive cog. Cheers. BY.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 22 queries.