Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine  (Read 6197 times)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Engine
« on: November 01, 2010, 10:10:03 pm »

Just a quick and eay one, can anyone of you steam enthusiasts out there identify this 'V' Four steam oscilator?

Thanks for your help
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: Engine
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 12:36:26 am »

yep it was serialised in model boats  and a nice Gent he is

Peter

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 05:37:22 am »

I don't understand who is a nice gent?

Are you sayng this was made from plans given with Model Boats Magazine?
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 08:07:11 am »

sorry I thought you where having a quiz it by the famous Peter Arnot (in steam circles) and the engine and boiler where in a series of articles in the 80s I think may have been 90s in model boats.

It was the spelling of the 4th word I thought it was meant to say easy.

Peter

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 10:40:54 am »

Thanks Peter, someone sent me a picture and asked me if I could identify it.  As I couldn't I thought the best place was to try here.

Many thanks for your help

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 12:46:13 pm »

Now that's a clever way of regulating the waterpump volume delivery.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 01:15:07 pm »

Hi Richard  and other Mayhem Members for your swift reply. I can now pass on this information.

Stan Reffin

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 03:16:01 pm »

Now that's a clever way of regulating the waterpump volume delivery.

Regards  Ian.

I agree, simple and effective, however if you wanted to copy it you would need a very good filter system as restricting the check valve lift would catch any odds and sods that shouldn't be in the water, right where you don;t want them.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

ooyah/2

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 08:38:25 pm »

sorry I thought you where having a quiz it by the famous Peter Arnot (in steam circles) and the engine and boiler where in a series of articles in the 80s I think may have been 90s in model boats.

It was the spelling of the 4th word I thought it was meant to say easy.

Peter
Hi Peter yes you are quite correct.
There was a series of articles published in 1993 by Major Peter Arnot in which he designed and built the "V"-4- engine  and a boiler to go with it.
The boiler was designed so that you could ether have it vertical or horizontal, I have pages of the boiler build ( Nov 1933 Model Boats ) but unfortunately can't find the engine build.

Regarding the boiler feed pump that is not a water control valve it's simply a method for holding the pump body together, it's made in pieces.
Having made a pump to the design I wouldn't build one again as it was very erratic and being so small not to be made by any body with limited machining skills.
Overall a great little engine but I don't think B.B's engine was made by Peter as he always painted green and although B.B's engine is nice it's not of
Major Arnot's quality.

Any Idea what Major Arnot is doing now ?
George.

malcolmbeak

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 09:38:55 pm »

Peter Arnot hopes to be at the Model Boat Show at the Fosse in a week and a half. Not sure which day yet. Although not in the best of health he is still making model boats and steam plant. Not sure what the latest creation is, but will probably find out at the show.

Malcolm

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 10:17:25 pm »

George I think what is being suggested is that the engine in question is a home made engine built to a Peter Arnot plan.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 10:25:16 pm »

yes he made several nice engines, I saw a nice twin he had built I think it may have been piston valve but it was small, hear is a picture of the Gent I have pinched of the cheddar site I hope they don't mind. he is the chap sitting down.

Peter

ooyah/2

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 12:22:39 am »

George I think what is being suggested is that the engine in question is a home made engine built to a Peter Arnot plan.

Hi B.B.
 Yes that's what I am suggesting, although I don't think that it's as good a quality as engines made by Peter your friends engine looks great and I who ever made it has made a good job of it and I am sure that it runs well.

Malcolm
It's good to here that Major Arnot is still about even though he may be in ill health, some of his steam models were a joy to behold especially the clinker built launch with the D10 engine, can't remember the launch name.
George.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 12:37:13 am »

Malcolm
It's good to here that Major Arnot is still about even though he may be in ill health, some of his steam models were a joy to behold especially the clinker built launch with the D10 engine, can't remember the launch name.
George.

Henry

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 08:45:53 am »

Regarding the boiler feed pump that is not a water control valve it's simply a method for holding the pump body together

Thanks for that George, appearances can be deceiving, however, still an elegant method of holding all the bits together for bigger variants without the various male and female threads of the individual components.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

ooyah/2

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 10:25:06 pm »

Hi Ian,

It's a long time since I built the pump and as far as I remember it was a bit of a waste of time with all the separate bits and pieces.
Major Arnot no doubt had his reason for designing it as such.

I make all my ram pumps as per K.N.Harris   MODEL STATIONARY and MARINE STEAM ENGINES there are not so many parts in them and easy to maintain.
The only difference that I make is that I don't have a nut with gland packing, I use a Silcone  "O" ring on the end of the ram and cut down the clearance on the groove width as no heat is involved to expand the ring, so if the ring is .070" dia in cross section  I machine the grove to .080" wide giving .010 clearance but keep the O/All dia as per the ring machining instructions..
Here is some pics of a ram made for a high speed engines oil pump witch was geared down 125/1 from engine that did 10,000 rpm on the bench.

This one is for the water pump that had a hand operated pump to feed the boiler.

This one on a 10v with Scotch crank.

I hope that this is of interest to you.
Regards
George.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.