Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: can a futaba FF7 35mhz transmitter be converted to 2.4  (Read 31785 times)

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: can a futaba FF7 35mhz transmitter be converted to 2.4
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2011, 02:05:42 pm »

This is of course a personal view but i agree that Futuba radio gear is overpriced.Its manufacter is now in Taiwan. Quality is still good.
But the price is ott. The chinese makers are getting better all the time.Why did i buy Futuba? Well at the time there was only
Spectrum and Futuba.If i brought now id buy Radiolink. Cheap and cheerful but does job.This is 2.4 that im talking about. John.   

phillnjack

« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2011, 04:05:16 pm »

Ive been looking at futaba modules and others sold by the likes of giant cod etc.

I cant believe how much the futaba stuff is , over priced is an understatement.

if the giant cod stuff is as good for conversions then i think ill be getting one from them or places like them.

anyone got any good cheap sites for conversion bits and pieces ?

and is it realy as simple as pull out the module, chuick a new one in and its ready to use ?

phill

triumphjon

« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2011, 06:34:36 pm »

from the information ive read , if your radio transmits through a modual its a simple unplug and plug in a new modual ! as the hitec radio i had didnt have a modual it was going to involve desoldering and resoldering which i wasnt to sure about , but as the new planet twister radio was so well priced , and ive already got a planet t5 ive bought a purpose built set . although i enjoyed the ic offshore racing my budget doesnt allow for buying the fuel let alone rebuilding engines when they let go , hence i now use elecy models instead .

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2011, 07:41:17 pm »

Hi there Phillnjack

I purchased the 2.4 ghz module from Giant Cod and it really is just a case of plug the module in.  Far superior in reliability than a Planet T5 radio set-up.

Pic attached - I think I paid about £30 all in - for the module and receiver.

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

PMK

« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2011, 07:56:50 pm »

Hey, my man -- given that you have zillions of models, all you need now is one of these...

http://www.spartan-rc.com/products/ultrapac/ultrapac.php

...sourced from here...

http://www.modelhelicopters.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2emodelhelicopters%2eco%2euk%2facatalog%2fNewItems_NewItems%2ehtml&WD=campac&PN=RadioAccs_Spartan%2ehtml%23aSRC00512#aSRC00512

<edit>
And don't forget that it lets you delve into the Service Menus, from whence you can twiddle and tweak your radio to your heart's content.

phillnjack

« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2011, 10:37:21 pm »

My idea of tweaking up a radio is to recharge the batteries  %%

everytime ive tried to do something involving repairs, ive ended up buying more again.

if its mechanical ill fix it, if its electrical ill kill it.

plug in sounds good to me.

from what ive seen im thinking about the giant cod site frsky v8 module and reciever thingy

p.s
ic engines dont go bang and wear out easy if you keep the nitro down and stick to around 4/5ths power.
all the flat out merchants obviously wont agree, but ive watched many of the lower powered engines beat the top
engines due to over doing it.

I do not include SC engines in the above statement though.

phill

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2011, 10:44:04 pm »

Hi this is the  2.4 ghz module from Giant Cod that i used  :-))

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/frsky-24ghz-futaba-combo-module-receiver-p-405262.html

aye
john e
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

PMK

« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2011, 04:37:56 am »

Phill&Jack, hold on a minute, because, after re-reading what I'd told you previously regarding a plug-in module for your FF7, I think I might have inadvertantly fed you the wrong information. I brought my FF7 back from the States (working on 72MHz), and if your radio's internal circuitry is similar then I'm afraid that you cannot simply plug a 2.4GHz module in there. Apologies for any misunderstanding, but I was confusing the FF7 with my 9C.
If you're up to it, remove the rear cover, take a peek inside and see if it resembles anything like the one in the attached photo. If it is, then it does indeed mean that you cannot use the plug-in modules. However, all is not lost, but it means that you'll have to resort to a spot of minor surgery. I suggest that you point your browser here... http://www.giantcod.co.uk/frsky-24ghz-conversion-hack-module-p-405206.html
The so-called 'hack' unit means that you'll need to solder just three wires, but it's not that difficult to do. On my particular FF7, since 72MHz is illegal here, I opted to remove most of the original RF components and then utilised the remaining free space on the 72MHz board in which to locate the 2.4GHz unit. I also removed the original telescopic antenna and then stuck the smaller 2.4GHz antenna in its place. It's actually easier to do than it sounds. Those three wires I mentioned on the hack unit; two of them are the supply wires (positive and negative) and the third wire carries the signal pulse from the FF7's on-board encoder circuitry. All these connections can be made from the square 'trainer' socket on the original RF board. As you know, there are six pins on the trainer socket, but me, I was able to trace the appropriate pins with an oscilloscope. Otherwise the relevant pin-out information can be gleaned with a simple Google search.
You say that you're not too hot with electrics, but don't worry because there are loads of members here who are handy with a soldering iron. Just ask and I'll bet somebody will offer to do the modification for you.

Good luck.

By the by...
Now't wrong with SC engines. I've been using SC 4-strokes on airframes for some time - no problem at all. Dead easy to start and sounds beautiful when idling.
I guess that now makes us equal after my whinging about Acoms equipment.  ok2

phillnjack

« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2011, 12:36:16 pm »

Mine dont look anything like your one inside
on the front mine say  FP-T7UPS   pcm/ppm selectable   pcm 1024

here is a few pics of what mine is inside and out including module

phill

PMK

« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2011, 02:49:25 pm »

Ah, in that case, I stand corrected (when you said FF7 I thought you meant the 7-CAP).
Even before I reached the fourth photo I could instantly tell from photos #2 and #3 that your radio will indeed work just fine with a plug-in module after all (the small PCB at the top-centre with five pins gave a tell-tale clue). The GiantCod version has the 2.4GHz antenna integral to the module itself (some don't), which means that you don't have to drill any extra holes in your radio to install the antenna, nor do you need to do any soldering.
For the price, the performance and transmitted range of the FRSKY unit is quite amazing - and the 8-channel receivers are dirt cheap. Why spend the best part of £70 for a 7-channel Futaba receiver?
Bear in mind that for the GiantCod module to work correctly you need to make sure that your Tx is set to transmit in PPM mode - not PCM mode.

Enjoy!

phillnjack

« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2011, 04:47:32 pm »

Thanks for info

by the way what is the difference between ppm and pcm mode  ?? i have no idea what thats all about.

infact this radio has a lot of stuff that i have no idea  about or forgotten about  ha ha .

when i get a new module, i think ill make a nice little guard around the ariel from it

phill

PMK

« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2011, 08:21:14 pm »

PPM = Pulse Position Modulation.
PCM = Pulse Coded Modulation.

All transmitters emit a signal at a given frequency. Let's assume 27MHz. The signal itself (otherwise called the carrier frequency) is simply being sent at a frequency of twenty-seven million times each second, but doesn't do much else because it carries no information. This 'information' thingy can consist of anything such as voice signals, or, in this case, encoded pulse signals that the R/C receiver can hear, and then converts (decodes) the information from the carrier frequency to a pulse that the servo can understand.
In the case of PPM, the pulse signal for each servo channel can  be on for as little as one millisecond (servo horn at its left extreme position) or on for as long as two milliseconds (servo horn at its right extreme position). From this you will be able to deduce that a pulse length of 1.5 milliseconds will put the servo position at its neutral (centre) position). The PPM signal is then repeated over and over again - usually around twenty times each second. Your servos are being updated with the relevant information of its position 20 times per-second (or 50Hz), in essence giving the effect of the servo arm moving quite smoothly whenever you move, say, your rudder or throttle gimbals. Also, the PPM information is sent sequentially, meaning that channel #1 position is sent first, then channel #2 position, then channel #3... and so on. If, say, you want to alter the position of the servo on channel #3, the PPM signal first sends the information for channels 1 and 2 before reaching channel 3. This happens so fast that as soon as you move the gimbal which controls channel 3, it appears to happen almost instantaneously.
Clever stuff.
PCM, on the other hand, works in a slightly different way. The PCM signal is superimposed on the carrier frequency in the usual way, but instead of the pulses being sent sequentially, they are now 'sampled', meaning that they are sent in the form of a digital representation of the usual PPM (analogue) pulses. The buzz word is 'resolution'. The higher the resolution, the better the quality of the transmitted pulse signal. It's all to with 'bits' and 'bytes'. In your case the PCM resolution is set to 1024 bits. You can do all sorts of clever things with the digital signal, such as to tell the R/C receiver to ignore bad burst of data, or operate failsafes, etc, etc.
Me, I personally prefer to stay with the PPM (analogue mode) for reasons I shan't bore you with here.

Incidentally, I wonder if you can turn on and off, say, a light switch at exactly 20 times each second, and hold it on for a duration of exactly 1 millisecond (one-thousandth of a second), then repeat the process over and over. Then try doing the same at 27 millions times each second. And did you know that 1GHz is the same as one thousand million times per second? You'd need a pretty slick wrist action to operate the light switch at that rate, huh? Around these parts, that aforementioned wrist action is otherwise known as the 'vinegar stroke'. And being that this is family forum, it's best that I don't go into detail about it.

Are you beginning to wish that you never asked now?

phillnjack

« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2011, 01:52:33 am »

YES

Ha ha 

thanks for info

phill

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2011, 07:54:44 am »

PPM = Pulse Position Modulation.
PCM = Pulse Coded Modulation.

All transmitters emit a signal at a given frequency. Let's assume 27MHz. The signal itself (otherwise called the carrier frequency) is simply being sent at a frequency of twenty-seven million times each second, but doesn't do much else because it carries no information. This 'information' thingy can consist of anything such as voice signals, or, in this case, encoded pulse signals that the R/C receiver can hear, and then converts (decodes) the information from the carrier frequency to a pulse that the servo can understand.
In the case of PPM, the pulse signal for each servo channel can  be on for as little as one millisecond (servo horn at its left extreme position) or on for as long as two milliseconds (servo horn at its right extreme position). From this you will be able to deduce that a pulse length of 1.5 milliseconds will put the servo position at its neutral (centre) position). The PPM signal is then repeated over and over again - usually around twenty times each second. Your servos are being updated with the relevant information of its position 20 times per-second (or 50Hz), in essence giving the effect of the servo arm moving quite smoothly whenever you move, say, your rudder or throttle gimbals. Also, the PPM information is sent sequentially, meaning that channel #1 position is sent first, then channel #2 position, then channel #3... and so on. If, say, you want to alter the position of the servo on channel #3, the PPM signal first sends the information for channels 1 and 2 before reaching channel 3. This happens so fast that as soon as you move the gimbal which controls channel 3, it appears to happen almost instantaneously.
Clever stuff.
PCM, on the other hand, works in a slightly different way. The PCM signal is superimposed on the carrier frequency in the usual way, but instead of the pulses being sent sequentially, they are now 'sampled', meaning that they are sent in the form of a digital representation of the usual PPM (analogue) pulses. The buzz word is 'resolution'. The higher the resolution, the better the quality of the transmitted pulse signal. It's all to with 'bits' and 'bytes'. In your case the PCM resolution is set to 1024 bits. You can do all sorts of clever things with the digital signal, such as to tell the R/C receiver to ignore bad burst of data, or operate failsafes, etc, etc.
Me, I personally prefer to stay with the PPM (analogue mode) for reasons I shan't bore you with here.

Incidentally, I wonder if you can turn on and off, say, a light switch at exactly 20 times each second, and hold it on for a duration of exactly 1 millisecond (one-thousandth of a second), then repeat the process over and over. Then try doing the same at 27 millions times each second. And did you know that 1GHz is the same as one thousand million times per second? You'd need a pretty slick wrist action to operate the light switch at that rate, huh? Around these parts, that aforementioned wrist action is otherwise known as the 'vinegar stroke'. And being that this is family forum, it's best that I don't go into detail about it.

PMK,

Informative and educational as usual.

Thank you   O0 O0 O0 :-)) :-)) :-))

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2011, 10:21:48 am »

Very very minor quibble - the "20 times per second" should really be "repeated at 20 millisecond intervals" to get 50Hz.
At the end of the frame of information (after the last channel) you get a quiet bit, longer than 2mS, which the receiver recognises as the reset to start looking for the 1st channel.  With 27MHz systems, which are pretty universally PPM and AM as well, interference turning up in the quiet bit can be interpreted as channel 1 information, and since channel 1 is commonly the rudder, this is why the first sign of interference is the rudder twitching.  FM sets work differently, and are more immune to that kind of interference, but are very rare in 27MHz.  Readily available in 40MHz, but generally costs more, so mostly found on the more comprehensive outfits with lots of channels and magic bits.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

PMK

« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2011, 10:52:56 am »

Man, you sure have a keen eye! And better at explaing things than this bozo.
Regarding the attached photo, and the "quiet bit" that you mentioned, I guess I should have set the timebase to 2mS/cm in order to clearly see reset period between channel 7 and the next sync pulse in the overall 20mS frame.

phillnjack

« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2011, 06:08:35 pm »

Ahhh, but what if the gizmo shows that the wotsit aint doing what it should be ?
does this then mean that the thingymebob wont allow any whatdoyacallits to operate at the right time.
Or is it ok as long as ive got a fully bent crankenshafter saddlewobble holder in my other hand ?

phill  :-))

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2011, 06:13:07 pm »

Sounds like you have got the' handle' on this one!!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

phillnjack

« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2011, 06:40:46 pm »

yep, i just need a very big hammer and a mig welder and im ready to do radio mods

phill
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.