Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: In the News !!!  (Read 940892 times)

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: In the News !!!
« Reply #2025 on: March 02, 2022, 02:09:21 am »

Now gone to the bottom off the Azores , A special delivery of Bentleys Porsches and Lambo's  for Davy Jones. Crew all 22 evacuated safely.
Thoughts are that it started with a battery on one of the vehicles being transported.  ? EV.  ? what if it had been a car/passenger ferry

And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2026 on: March 02, 2022, 07:43:45 am »

Wow…..Those photos really show how bad that flooding is. I have never seen floods of such a depth….shocking…

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2027 on: March 02, 2022, 10:48:09 am »

WOW - thats one hell of a toggle switch on the deck of that ship - wonder what its for ????? %) %) :} :D {-) {-) {-) {-)
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2028 on: March 03, 2022, 01:47:09 am »

Perhaps Peter can recognise this part of Lismore!

I certainly can Brian, and you can see from the McDonald’s sign just how deep the water was. Behind the photographer is Lismore Shopping Square, a large shopping centre less than a kilometre from the CBD, which is at least five metres off the ground, yet I hear there was more than a metre of water in the shops. The water has receded from the CBD now, revealing the extent of the damage, the like of which has never been seen here before. I haven’t been in to have a look, I can’t help, and would only be in the way, but my two sons who live in the area are both in there helping in any way they can. A friend of my oldest son has a bakery in South Lismore, and while the building is still standing, every piece of equipment, ovens, dough mixers etc, is ruined. He is only one example but there are many, many others. Then there are the houses, I have no idea of numbers, but it would be in the hundreds, some completely submerged, and most people only packed things above the previous record flood height - this flood was 2 metres higher.

We are into our fourth day without power, but I know the electricity authority is working extremely hard, in difficult conditions, to restore power. We were lucky enough to be able to borrow a generator yesterday, so we can at least keep the fridge and freezer going. The next problem will be food and fuel supplies, as many district roads are badly damaged, and trucks are having difficulty getting through. We are okay for a week or so, by which time, hopefully, supplies should be arriving.

I’m relying on my phone for internet connection, and it’s woefully slow, probably due to high demand, but that’s a very minor issue, many, much bigger problems face those who are most affected by this disaster.

Peter.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2029 on: March 03, 2022, 04:30:21 am »

"one hell of a toggle switch on the deck of that ship"  .......not sure either warspite ?

But it appears to be the canvas cover over a navigation or small arms mounting {:-{  as installed just aft of the Bridge on the Stdb side, on this Portuguese Naval Patrol Boat [P353]  O0

In this shot, the COMMS aerials are up [retracted], when the vessel is communicating or searching, the aerials are lowered to the horizontal plane

Setubal is the name of the Portuguese Patrol Boat [as on the warships orange life ring], you will find dozens of images of the burning Ro-Ro

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
Re: In the News !!! Endurance Found.
« Reply #2030 on: March 09, 2022, 09:32:08 am »

Shackleton's ship Endurance found in the Antarctic Weddell Sea . After 107 years still in amazing condition .
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-60662541

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2031 on: March 17, 2022, 12:15:46 pm »

BBC: P&O cancels services and tells ships to stay in port.
        The ferry operator said it was not going into liquidation but all ferries had been instructed to stay in port.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60779001
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2032 on: March 26, 2022, 11:03:31 pm »

BBC: P&O Ferries: Protests at ports against sackings   -   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60887808
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2033 on: March 26, 2022, 11:07:25 pm »

BBC TV:  Why Ship Crash - https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0013p1f/why-ships-crash

On 23 March 2021, the Ever Given – one of the largest container ships ever built – ploughed into the sandy bank of the Suez Canal, blocking the entire waterway. It stopped all traffic in one of the most important shipping lanes in the world for almost a week, causing a ‘ship jam’ of over 300 vessels and delaying deliveries of billions of pounds of vital food, fuel and medical supplies. The disruption to the global supply chain lasted for months.

How did such an advanced ship crash in one of the most closely monitored shipping lanes in the world? How did a team of engineers free the ship in just six days? And who or what is to blame?

Using never-before seen footage, testimony from witnesses speaking for the very first time, and expert analysis, this documentary aims to uncover the inside story of the Ever Given accident. And with over 2,500 shipping incidents a year, the film also asks if this was just a freak accident or whether it reveals a serious weakness in the world’s critical supply chain.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
Not A Joke.
« Reply #2034 on: April 04, 2022, 02:53:04 pm »

According to many reports a Ukranian grandmother has downed a Russian drone with a jar of pickles.

Ukrainian who ‘took out a drone with a jar of tomatoes'
https://www.timesnownews.com/viral/ukrainian-who-took-out-a-drone-with-a-jar-of-tomatoes-wants-to-stay-back-to-and-fight-for-her-country-article-90099481

Not sure where to put this, we'll try here ..... Admin

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2035 on: April 06, 2022, 02:40:48 pm »

BBC TV:  Why Ship Crash - https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0013p1f/why-ships-crash

On 23 March 2021, the Ever Given – one of the largest container ships ever built – ploughed into the sandy bank of the Suez Canal, blocking the entire waterway. It stopped all traffic in one of the most important shipping lanes in the world for almost a week, causing a ‘ship jam’ of over 300 vessels and delaying deliveries of billions of pounds of vital food, fuel and medical supplies. The disruption to the global supply chain lasted for months.

How did such an advanced ship crash in one of the most closely monitored shipping lanes in the world? How did a team of engineers free the ship in just six days? And who or what is to blame?

Using never-before seen footage, testimony from witnesses speaking for the very first time, and expert analysis, this documentary aims to uncover the inside story of the Ever Given accident. And with over 2,500 shipping incidents a year, the film also asks if this was just a freak accident or whether it reveals a serious weakness in the world’s critical supply chain.

Is it endemic ?
  Ever Givens big sister Ever Forward is now firmly embedded  in a sandbank in Chesapeake Bay since March 15th. No chance of pulling this one out , so firmly stuck they are having to unload all her cargo and barge it ashore.  Evidently a navigation error, took the wrong turning.

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2036 on: April 06, 2022, 04:21:58 pm »

Should be renamed "Ever Stuck" !!
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

Deadbattery

• Shipmate
« Reply #2037 on: April 06, 2022, 04:35:12 pm »

Should be renamed "Ever Stuck" !!
Love It :-))

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2038 on: April 06, 2022, 05:15:34 pm »

Or "Sandy Bottom"
Steamed up all the time

ddmckee54

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2039 on: April 06, 2022, 06:59:06 pm »

5000 containers, how do you unload that many containers from a location like that?  Craning them off is going to take forever.  At least she appears to be on a fairly even keel, so they won't have to try picking the containers up from an angled deck.
Too many irons, not enough fire.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2040 on: April 07, 2022, 12:39:30 am »

So Baldrick asks......"Is it endemic?".............. >:-o

The recent groundings of both Evergreen vessels was under the guidance of the respective Port Authorities Pilotage  :police:

We have a new Member at our Illawarra LIve Steames, who just happens to be the Senior Marine Pilot for the Port of Kembla

In discussion, it appears he [and subordinates] utilize their own NSW State Government supplied minature Salilite Navigation System carried onboard themselves. These subminature sets have a higher resolution in real time when looking at a vastly smaller nautical footprint, as compared to the Standard Sat-Nav equipment installed in today's vessels ......this Chap uses his own system when directing Pilotage of all vessels when entering the Port of Kembla which has a restricted width between the two breakwaters, followed by a sharp ~~90 degree] turn to Stdb......

The vessels range from loaded 100,000 ore carriers to the largest Mark V Class Ro Ro car carriers for the Norwegian shipping company Wilhelmsen and Wallenius

Wonder if the Evergreen Group will need to look for new insurance?, or the Worlds Marine Insurance Brokers put it down to incompetent Pilotage?  O0 ...so ultimately all insurance payouts ultimately filter down to increases in our domestic insurance policies  >>:-(

On the flip side, there will be no delay to other vessels as the Ever Forward is many Nautical Miles from the channel...why didn't they have one of these turned on?

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjvtoGy04D3AhVYHSsKHZS2CPMYABAAGgJzZg&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESVuD2zzWNSdiAh6tbbWXifJNBln1fCVliQjXpO05vfWvec-4zZd0ajfZWBUtXAJ5erEWkeAQEVQSiGdLznUgqVI07GLYUUxQ8sKQu_Cjm6qFFP6Ey_cYq&sig=AOD64_2bnXRnPTGTvSyH_Wr7JYObsMzkcw&q&adurl&ved=2ahUKEwivwPmx04D3AhUg4nMBHQCiCFUQ0Qx6BAgCEAE

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2041 on: April 07, 2022, 11:05:08 am »

BBC: Tonga eruption: Robot boat to map explosive volcano's aftermath

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-60946084

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2042 on: April 07, 2022, 02:22:47 pm »

Just been reported, £250,000 worth of diesel nicked from Devonport.

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2043 on: April 07, 2022, 03:21:21 pm »

Just been reported, £250,000 worth of diesel nicked from Devonport.

.... what's that,  about 20 gallons these days!   {-)

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2044 on: April 13, 2022, 08:48:57 am »

After the recent replacement of most of the sailors on the P&O ferry fleet I assumed that the authorities blocking the ships from sailing was due to inadequate training and qualification of the replacement crews . However after a Googly search it would appear that the problems are mainly with the vessels themselves . If P&O had not sacked all the crew and brought the inspections down on their heads it would suggest that the fleet would have continues to operate in a totally unsafe manner. How can this have arisen in todays climate pf mandatory inspections and certifications ? Are regulatory authorities and ship owners riding rough shod over safety rules .

po-larne-ferry-ranked-worst-inspectors-had-seen-in-over-1200-cases-when-it-came-to-sheer-number-of-problems-3650248

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Historic destroyer USS The Sullivans sinking
« Reply #2045 on: April 15, 2022, 03:49:29 pm »

The museum ship USS The Sullivans is taking on water, apparently due to hull corrosion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fjyk2vosUs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhIWGNuDcUI

The ship was named after the five Sullivan brothers lost on USS Juneau during the pacific war.

Colin

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2046 on: April 15, 2022, 03:50:52 pm »

The WWII Fletcher class destroyer USS The Sullivans has sunk at its moorings and is now resting on the bottom at its berth. Reports are that there was originally around 5 feet depth below the hull. The rear deck is awash and it is tilting at an angle. It appears that a major hull breach has occured leading to major flooding. Pumps have been brought in to try and refloat the ship to allow them to find the leak and patch it. The ship has been in need of repair for some time, money was raised for this but the water temperature in Lake Erie has been too cold to allow the work to be done. I have seen reports online that these museum ships have all of the watertight doors kept open to allow easy visitor access below deck so are liable to flood quickly.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/04/14/us/buffalo-uss-the-sullivans-sinking/index.html
The US has a large number of preserved warships although many of them including USS Texas and USS Olympia are in a bad way with badly rusted hulls.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Historic destroyer USS The Sullivans sinking
« Reply #2047 on: April 16, 2022, 01:42:00 am »

The sinking of any Warship in any stage of its life is an event.....can be tragic, or could be planned, some towed to the wreckers for cutting up.....

Obviously the circumstances relating to the renaming of vessel to the USS Sullivans has certain significance

Little more can be said........... Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2048 on: April 17, 2022, 07:10:00 pm »

Interesting video here which highlights the practical problems of maintaining preserved ships and why things are likely to become progressively worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZvY2s5rRQI

Colin

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2049 on: April 18, 2022, 11:56:44 am »

Saw a news report yesterday where they said that this was a yearly problem. After winter they expect there to be several holes leading to flooding of some areas, normally kept under control by onboard pumps. This time there was an electrical failure stopping pumping and allowing much more severe flooding. Every year there is a fundraising effort to patch up the holes  with epoxy.One problem is that the pumping was stopped by the coastguards when oil was found in the water. Due to the angle its sitting at fuel oil has leaked into the inside and mixed with the water. No more water to be pumped out until they have first emptied the tanks of oil.
Dundee Model Boat club

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.