Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bulk Carrier model ready for sea trials  (Read 1894 times)

Tug Captain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Bulk Carrier model ready for sea trials
« on: January 14, 2019, 03:12:25 pm »

As I am about to get going with a new project I put in a few more hours on the present one, a geared bulk carrier buildt to 1:100 based on GA-plans and photos received from the owners. The "Bulk Star" is now ready for sea trials but as the water temperature is approx 4 degrees C it has been postponed till later, warmer conditions....

The model is 175 cm long, 32 cm wide and has a deplacement of approx 40 kg

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Bulk Carrier model ready for sea trials
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 03:25:34 pm »

Congratulations looks really good. How much ballast does she need?
Don't Assume Check

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 04:40:21 pm »

You do not ask questions like that unless you sitting down with a Malt, nemesis

Tug Captain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 05:15:58 pm »

The model requires some 40 kg to be loaded down to the water line. Weight of the model is approx 16 kg, complete with two lead batteries (one 12 V, one 6 V). The ballast tank will take some 22 litres (kg) so extra lead is required to reach the 40 kg. But it does not have to be at the water line every time....

Functions. Motor, rudder, bowthruster: proportionally controlled. Lights: sailing lights, deck house and bridge lights, deck lights, lights in the signals mast, crane arm lights etc, pumps for loading/discharging ballast water: On/off switches. Crane arms and turning and cargo hatches will be operated via a separate radio system. At present I am using a 12 channel Graupner radio which is used to its full capacity

Most electronic items are Actions Electronics (the Component shop) which greatly has helped making a tidy and "clean" wiring.

During the build a fair amount of single malt has been consumed in order to inspire and support the builder.....

Claes

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 10:50:44 pm »

Certainly very tidy [bulky] Claes  :-))  & she will certainly steer like a house brick  :-X

The two protrusions [one longer with a black cap & the other shorter] well below the waterline at the stern port side just after the Draft Marks....are these porting for the ballast system?

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tug Captain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 07:28:00 am »

Derek,
you are right - that's the in/outlets for the water ballast arrangement. I use two car windscreen washer pumps which are controlled by means of a three way switch: down, water in, neutral and up, water out.  They are run on 6V in order to reduce the pump speed.

With regard to steering - she  turns ok, in a scalelike manner. Being able to make 360 turns on the spot has never been an issue. However, as I have no tugs to assist in bearthing/leaving dock I have installed a bow thruster which is proportionally controlled.

Claes

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 12:20:49 pm »

Claes...are the ballast pumps gear or impeller style?.......just assumed that the impeller would bypass when shutdown & leak ballast water out

So about 15 to 20 minutes to pump up the 22 liters? ...certainly that would not be unrealistic in a scale sense......do you have a bypass to enable a % of ballast water to be free flowing, or are the ballast tanks all double bottoms?...if they are double bottoms, do you press them up via a snorkel on deck level?

Finally, do you have adequate tank baffling to minimize uncontrolled water ballast movement?

Derek..........

[PS - I spent a number of years working on a continual problematical hydraulic ballast control system in a BHP chartered 100,000 tonner, followed by the replacement of kilometers of 16mm OD corroded hydraulic lines to the Top Side Tank hydraulic actuators in 3 other chartered 100,000 tonners all servicing the Port of Kembla
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 12:55:46 pm »

SWEET!!!

Tug Captain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 05:34:38 pm »

Derek,

Pumps: no problem
Ballast tank has air vents and piping which take care of overflow. However, the idea is to use the ballast tank up to some 80% - before sailing I will put in lead ingots in the No1 and No 5 holds and then fill the ballast tank to get to the desired depth.

The ballast tank is divided into 12 compartments where the interior walls are fixed to  the tank top. The bottom ends of the interior walls allow water to be evenly distributed within the tank. Have tested this setup before gluing the deck and it worked out just fine even in a bit choppy water

If you are located where I think you are I guess you have seen a fair number of bulk carriers of all kind of shapes and sizes loading iron ore. Right??

Best
Claes

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 08:13:24 pm »

Claes.....all of the ballast construction understood  :-))

Here at the Kembla steel works, the 100,000 tonners unloaded the iron ore........coal was the export mineral however all of these vessels were of Flags of Convenience...so the only work on these was an absolute emergency only....and being outbound, these vessels were totally de-ballasted

Looking forward to seeing the Bulk Star on the water knowing her background

Derek 
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.