Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: On TV now  (Read 14794 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: On TV now
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2021, 01:38:43 pm »

Yesterday, Monday 9pm - https://yesterday.uktv.co.uk/tv-guide/

Hornby: A Model World
Series 1 | Episode 5
Spitfire

Hornby's young designer Paramjit Sembhi takes on the challenge of building a new version of the iconic RAF fighter of World War II, the Spitfire.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2021, 09:07:34 am »

Hi all, I tuned into Countdown yesterday and was shocked to see the what was on offer, I stayed with it for a few minutes and can only say it was a soulless bunch of misfits presided over by a vulture.  Gone is the gentle English humour and friendlyness.  The programme which is almost the longest running on the Network will die if this lot stays.  The vulture asked the non-Susie look-a-like how he had coped with his recovery from alcohol addiction!

I have watched the same format in other countries and at least one treats it like a childrens spelling Bee.

I watched the Millionaire programme on a Spanish Island and found it was very simple to follow the questions which did seem easy and my Spanish is very basic and fading quickly.  Of course the Slumdog Millionaire film really showed a network which did not want to pay any prize money.  Here it all seems to run at a profit.

I watched a clip from the American version where the first million dollar winner on the last question used the 'phone a friend' and rang his dad.  He said "Hello dad just wanted you to be the first person to know I have won a million dollars".  He was a nice unassuming chap as well!
Regards
Roy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Play - BBC Radio 4 - The Boat Hook by Sheila Hodgson
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2022, 08:49:43 pm »

Play, BBC Radio 4 - The Boat Hook by Sheila Hodgson

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000d7g0

1904: Whilst visiting Trondheim Cathedral, distinguished university academic MR James is terrified by
                  the appearance of a model boat.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2022, 09:33:10 pm »

On now .... The Maggie - Freeview Ch11 / Sky Arts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Maggie

Actually, I can't stand this film, ( apart from the boat bits ),  Captain MacTaggart is a truly odious, mercenary character....  >:-o

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2022, 07:29:50 am »

Hi I tracked down Scouting for Toys episode 4 with the RC model boats.  I was surprised at the low value put on the models or was this just a bad place to auction model boats as against RTR toys?
Current episode had a very ordinary Matchbox crane pick-up truck which was a one-off and so not available in the shops sell for £10,000, just crazy!  Hardly qualifies as a toy, I would have thought, more a test of design.
regards
Roy

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
Re: On TV now Das Boot
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2022, 07:23:04 pm »

Das Boot Series 3 Sun 15th  2100 Sky Atlantic

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2022, 07:58:42 pm »

There's a programme on Quest called 'Salvage Hunters, The Restorers' involving craftsmen of various trades restoring and repairing stuff for antique dealers. A programme recently involved a dealer who had rescued a hull from a skip. It was a tatty basic hull about four feet long and originally of a south coast pilot boat**, and the craftsman did a cracking job of rebuilding the complete model, so that it eventually went sailing. I dread to think what he charged, but the dealer was expecting to get five figures for the sale.
** memory doesn't hold the full details.

RST

« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2022, 11:54:32 pm »

Hi,

That sounds very familiar but was it Drew with "Salvage hunters" or "Find-it -Fix-It-Flog-It"?  I think I watched it but can't remember which -I don't thnk it was Salvage Hunters as they sailed it also but it might have been?  There was something I remember about a new deck and gunwales?

I did some basic maths years ago and Drew Pritchard or any of the others can't do busuness on what he shows on his Quest shows quite obviously the numbers don't add-up.

It's all a show for TV!  I know that "The Repair Shop" don't charge for their restorations, but imagine how cheap it is if they get free material and guests?  Everything is a show.

....I'm still waiting for someone to approach me at the council tip one day accompanied by a film crew:  "Hello, just happens you're throwing away something I'm interested in recycling into some other kind of junk, what a co-incidence you're throwing away just exactly what I need for a pre-planned 30mins BBC show and Arthur Smith can exlain it so perfectly!"

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2022, 02:23:47 am »

Yes, we get ......The Repair Shop series in OZ...    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Repair_Shop ...

All repeats, but the occasional interesting project rebuilt/rejuvinated/fixed  :-))

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2022, 02:49:03 am »

We subscribe to a Virgin TV "Bundle " of stations . Trouble is these programmes like Drew Prichard, The Repair Shop , Find it Fix it Flog it , and all the car do-up ones, seem to do a circuit of repeats around the various channels , so although we have umpteen hundred  channels on offer it is difficult to find something you have not seen before. At present our best options are Mathewsons  Yorkshire car Auctions which can get quite humorous and Police Interceptors with them fingering the local scumbag population .
 Oh and yes , most of all the the cycling races all over Europe on Eurosport, if only for the helicopter shots af all of the fabulous locations we would never otherwise get to see.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2022, 04:20:33 am »

Derek, we also get The Repair Shop Australia, set in Sydney, based on the UK show. It’s on Foxtel’s Lifestyle Channel.

Peter.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2022, 05:50:30 am »

Only one set or ears & eyes Peter, so I do not subscribe to Foxtel........however this weekend I wish I did, as the Liquid Moly 12 Hour from Bathurst is being televised ......[European viewer will recognise it as the GT3 Class]......I am able to watch 6 hours of the 12 hour event on Sunday free to air on 7........but would have preferred 12/12.........[my favourite Mr Lowndes is driving]

My first visit to Bathurst was probably some 65 years ago with my Dad + elder Brother....... Mini Coopers & 186 Holdens & cars that couldn't stop at the end of Con Rod............

Sorry to get off track.....but I do find The Repair Shop interesting in the expert quality work by the Tradespersons fixing the old items....in that huge Thatched workshop

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2022, 08:30:57 am »

We enjoy the Repair Shop & there is a new series on at the moment.
The weakness of th show is the "human interest" content. They spend far too much time on the emotive bit with the donor & far too little on the actual repair.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2022, 10:35:31 am »

The Repair Shop is one of the buildings in the Weald and Downland Museum which is less than an hour's drive from us. It is an idyllic setting and very much worth a visit although the Repair Shop building is not open to the public.

https://www.wealddown.co.uk/

I don't think the human interest angle is a weakness of the show, it is an integral part of the package. If it was just about the repair bit then there would be far less interest in it. James May's The Reassembler concentrated on the technical side and although popular, only four episides were made.

People who appear on the Repair Shop are carefully selected in respect of the item to be repaired and its associated back story:

https://www.ricochet.co.uk/casting/the-repair-shop_1071.aspx

Of course, what you see on screen is staged to show everyone in their best light. You don't see th cursing clock repairer when some antique timepiece falls apart during dismantling shedding cogs and gears all over the workshop floor which is typically what happens to us when taking things apart. Nor do you see the ancient prized teddybear which turns out to be rotten, flea infested and totally beyond redemption! Nor do I believe that when repairing and pieceing in woodwork they get the exact shade of stain to match the existing first time....

Still, it is entertaining and there are some very skilled people there.

Colin

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2022, 11:26:55 am »

"although we have umpteen hundred  channels on offer it is difficult to find something you have not seen before."
    Yes and why do we have to pay 'TV Tax' to watch what we've already paid for many times over?

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2022, 11:35:36 am »

Still, it is entertaining and there are some very skilled people there.

I agree Colin, but a little more footage on the actual repair would be nice. I used to enjoy American Restoration, quite a lot of the actual work was shown on that series, which I am very interested in.

Peter.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2022, 01:04:04 pm »

Yes Peter, so would I but I don't think we are the main target audience. The series appears to be directed as much to the ladies as men if not more so. Suzie seems to get the most airtime with her leatherwork.  James May's series was very much technically orienteted although he explained it very well.

Colin

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2022, 04:42:17 pm »

But it would be nice if when the treasure is unveiled looking better than it did new , the owner could find something more lucid to say than O.M.G.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2022, 05:04:56 pm »

Well, they do sometimes say Wow!

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2022, 04:05:01 pm »

On TV now - Queen's Platinum Jubilee Pageant!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m00183k3/the-queens-platinum-jubilee-the-platinum-pageant

How many pre-celebrities entertainers could you name!   :-)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2022, 04:10:11 pm »

On TV now - Queen's Platinum Jubilee Pageant!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m00183k3/the-queens-platinum-jubilee-the-platinum-pageant

How many pre-celebrities entertainers could you name!   :-)

Great to see Johnny Ball still going!

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2022, 04:43:53 pm »

Clydebuilt
                           The Ships That Made The Commonwealth

Tonight bbbc4 0300/0400

Sorry about the blank  no let me copy and paste

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2022, 04:47:38 pm »

21:00 hrs
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2022, 10:22:22 pm »

The Cutty Sark . Learned a lot i did not previously know,  but a shame that a lot of the graphical infilling in the narrative , due to their being no original material was padded with non relevant items like clips of the Waverley.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2022, 10:25:10 pm »

Hi taranis it is broadcast at 0300 down tis way.
Roy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.